Putting ON weight?!

Options
Advice needed please! Be honest, be harsh, diary is public!

So. I'm currently on 1300-1400 calories a day, I'm eating completely clean bar a little sugar in my morning coffee.
I used to have sugar in my tea but I've completely cut that out for a week now.
I have started Kayla Itsine's bikini body guide and I run 3-4 times a week.
My body is used to exercise - I've been doing Jillian Michaeks and/or Shaun T for over a year now...

Step on the scales this morning and I've GAINED 1.5lbs!
I mean, how?!
Calories in calories out surely means I should see a loss!

Thanks in advance x

Replies

• HippySkoppy
    HippySkoppy Posts: 725 Member
    Options
    I had a peek at your diary for August -

My suggestion is that you weigh everything using a food scale. Making sure that you are doing so as accurately and scrupulously as possible using grams as your only measuring source, your have a lot of varied entries in cups, descriptive entries ie Tomatoes (how large is that tomato) in relation to the entry in the database.....also use those entries in MFP that have USDA beside them.

Once you tighten up your logging your will get a much better idea of your CI verses your needs on the CO part to make sure you are losing according to your desires.

If it is early days for you (I didn't go back before the beginning of Aug.....then be patient) a 1.5 lb increase could be water weight, natural hormonal fluctuations etc etc.

Hope this has helped. Good luck.
  • rubberducky88
    rubberducky88 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Thanks - I've been doing this for 23 months now which is why I'm not as bothered about being perfect with weighing etc because I know my portion sizes aren't too big - if anything they're a bit on the small side!

But maybe back to basics will be the best course of action x
  • HippySkoppy
    HippySkoppy Posts: 725 Member
    Options
    No worries honey -

I am an old hand too with a new account, I've been on here since 2011 and maintaining for the 170 lb loss for the last 3 years....as time has gone on and I have gotten older and I have had some illness issues which has radically changed my previous workouts I too had to re-visit my logging and tighten a lot up - just to make sure that I stick between the 3 lbs variance I prefer.

I have noticed on the boards many saying that they are struggling losing despite feeling that they are doing 'everything' right most have a very eclectic mix of entries ie Generics, ounces, grams, cups, spoons etc - for me grams are just the most accurate way and the 1st thing to look at for your ease is your logging.

You are doing fantastically well to be so dedicated - 1.5 lbs is annoying but not out of the realms of natural fluctuations especially if you have recently taking up new exercise.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Weight loss is not linear

Sodium, change up in exercise, hormones affect water weight

Don't worry about a blip up..they are normal

That said anchor down your logging ...if you're not using a digital scale for your food use one and throw away your cups

If you want an illustration ..this is me at maintenance ...normal weight path trying to stick around 160..black dots are scale weight and they go up and down despite accurate intake ..cos water weight

8wdi33jfyouc.jpg
  • misskarne
    misskarne Posts: 1,765 Member
    Options
    Is it your time of month? I always retain about 4lbs of water weight during that time.

Also, if you've just started a new exercise regime, you might also be retaining. My scale could definitely tell you all about the week I started a Jillian Michaels DVD.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,411 MFP Moderator
    Options
    A normal body will fluctuate several lbs in a day, week, etc... Progress should be measured over 4-6 weeks increments.
  • megwa2001
    megwa2001 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    protein & sugar can increase weight, control protein & sugar foods
  • psuLemon
    Options
    megwa2001 wrote: »

This is completely false...

This that can influence water weight, sodium, excess carbs (only in the manor that glycogen storage will be increased), the amount of food that is in your GI tract, or excessive calories over your TDEE.

Protein is an essential nutrient that helps repair your muscles and increase satiety. Sugar is a carb which can be broken down to glucose and used for energy.

• rubberducky88
    Options
    Protein can? Really? I'm always pretty high on my protein lately since trying to cut out bread etc!
    That could be the problem!

Why are we always told to eat protein if working out?
  • psuLemon
    Options
    Protein can? Really? I'm always pretty high on my protein lately since trying to cut out bread etc!

Yea, don't listen to that.. it's complete false. See my above post.
  • bluefish86
    bluefish86 Posts: 842 Member
    Options
    Thanks - I've been doing this for 23 months now which is why I'm not as bothered about being perfect with weighing etc because I know my portion sizes aren't too big - if anything they're a bit on the small side!

Because you're so close to your goal weight, you'll have to be much more accurate with logging.

Try to be as accurate as possible for the next couple of weeks and see how you do. :)
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options

Hogswash

No it really really can't

Your protein macro is a minimum...should be set to 0.64-0.82g per lb bodyweight as a minimum to reach ...protein is important for muscle and cell repair
  • rubberducky88
    Options
    psulemon wrote: »

Yea, don't listen to that.. it's complete false. See my above post.

Thanks for clarifying! I was confused for a minute!!
  • rubberducky88
    Options
    bluefish86 wrote: »

Because you're so close to your goal weight, you'll have to be much more accurate with logging.

Try to be as accurate as possible for the next couple of weeks and see how you do. :)

Thank you that's the plan of of action!!

• rubberducky88
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »

Hogswash

No it really really can't

Your protein macro is a minimum...should be set to 0.64-0.82g per lb bodyweight as a minimum to reach ...protein is important for muscle and cell repair

I didn't think so! Thank you!