I need some opinions and advice about a Doctor's visit.

Options
spicy618
spicy618 Posts: 2,114 Member
Hi Guys and Gals,

Last Friday, while walking, I felt a stabbing pain on my back and hip area. After researching a little here and on Google, it seemed to be a pinched nerve/scatica (sp). I've never had back problems before. I'm no gym bunny, but I average 3 workouts per week. By the way, the stabbing pains went away by Tuesday, but I had already made an appt with an Orthopedic Doctor.

I went to my appt yesterday and now I'm conflicted.

They took X-rays of my back and sides. The Dr. comes in after and has me touch my toes, lean side to side and back. Also, he had me lay down and he asked me to lift my legs, extent my feetand then he manuvered my legs and checked that I had no pain in my knees, thighs or groin. All worked well and I felt no pain at anytime. He then says he's going to check the X-rays and returns to explain what he found.

He stated that I might have a pinched nerve or some inflammation. He then tells me he's prescribing anti-amflammatory(sp) for 2 weeks and physical therapy. I didn't have a problem with physical therapym, but the I don't want to take the pills. I asked him if I could exercise while on the pills, he said "no, cause that will be counterproductive to the physical therapy"... huh? Isn't physical therapy a form of exercise?

I'm not a Dr. so I agreed, but i'm not totally convinced about 2 weeks of pills for a "might have pinched nerve". He tells me "the nurse will walk you across the hall to make an appt with physical therapy". When she does, it's HIS physical therapy Group. That made me suspicious.

Maybe, I'm just a paranoid person when It comes to Doctors and drugs, but I'm really not wanting to take the medication or do THEIR Physical Therapy.

When I tell my Fiance the story, he tells me. "X-rays only see bones, so how can he see inflamation or Nerves? That really made me doubt the doctor.

Okay now for my question... lol

what do you guys think about my diagnosis? What would you do?

I really just want to some stretches and a routine for strengthing my core and back, like I read on from others on the web. However, I don't want to make things worse because I ignored Doctor's orders.

Sorry for the long read and thanks for any input.

Replies

• The_Invisible_Boy
    The_Invisible_Boy Posts: 568 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    I sometimes have issues with sciatica and bursitis. My job requires sitting on my butt up to 12 hours a day with nowhere to get up and move around. Exercise is the only thing that seems to help mine. As long as I'm staying active I don't have any issues. I've never taken inflammatory meds for it or had physical therapy. Not a big believer in pharmacology. Eating healthier and avoiding foods that are inflammatory has made my aches and pains disappear. I think most doctors just take a stab in the dark on a lot of things. That's why it's called "practicing" medicine. Just one mans humble opinion. :)
  • Alisontheice
    Alisontheice Posts: 9,624 Member
    Options
    I interpret his diagnosis as we can't be sure what it is so try this it should help. If you don't want to follow their advice why did you go really? And not trying to be rude or anything just wondering. Based on your concerns he prescribed you the treatment he felt best.

If you just want stretches and such go to physio.
  • SuperSnoopy
    SuperSnoopy Posts: 3,464 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    I had the same problem, trapped sciatic nerve, and pain killers did not touch it, I tried physiotherapist no luck, sport therapist no go.
    Then a chiropractor and bingo, two visits later and the pain reduced dramatically, after about 8 visits in total I had no pain. And touch wood I've been free of it for about a year now. I always do loads of leg stretches at the end of each work out and always do a bit of stretching at the beginning just to loosen up.

It worked for me, it may work for you too, at least give it a try.

Trev in Nottingham UK
  • spicy618
    Options
    I interpret his diagnosis as we can't be sure what it is so try this it should help. If you don't want to follow their advice why did you go really? And not trying to be rude or anything just wondering. Based on your concerns he prescribed you the treatment he felt best.

If you just want stretches and such go to physio.

Valid question.

I wouldn't have known what his advice was, if I didn't go to the appt.

It's nice to have the information and then make a decision, and not just go by my uneducated knowledge.
  • grimendale
    grimendale Posts: 2,153 Member
    Options
    If he's prescribing anti-inflammatories and telling you not to work out, it's likely because you have swelling due to inflammation around the pinched nerve. I personally think you're being overly-suspicious, but if it worries you, get a second opinion from an actual doctor, not the internet. Exercising is not the same as physical therapy (my sister is a physical therapist, and it is highly controlled and deliberate to insure you work without re-injuring). I would listen to the doctor's orders, especially as it is only for two weeks.
  • spicy618
    Options
    Thanks for the reponses.

I'm having problems logging into the forums today. Don't know if it's just my work internet service.

;)
  • GDLAZ
    GDLAZ Posts: 3,784 Member
    Options
    My chiropractor does more for these kind of issues than any doctor or PT, and he's cheaper...
  • spicy618
    Options
    I had the same problem, trapped sciatic nerve, and pain killers did not touch it, I tried physiotherapist no luck, sport therapist no go.
    Then a chiropractor and bingo, two visits later and the pain reduced dramatically, after about 8 visits in total I had no pain. And touch wood I've been free of it for about a year now. I always do loads of leg stretches at the end of each work out and always do a bit of stretching at the beginning just to loosen up.

It worked for me, it may work for you too, at least give it a try.

Trev in Nottingham UK

That is good to know. I'm definitely going to stretch more often... I really don't stretch at all when I'm only doing cardio.
  • Hea1thyGam3r
    Hea1thyGam3r Posts: 1,354 Member
    Options
    If your car is making a funny noise that you've never heard before you bring it to a mechanic. At this point you have three options. You take the mechanic at face value and allow him to fix the problem, you take it to another mechanic because you feel he ripped you off or you ignore it thinking that the small noise is just age. Small noise turns into a problem down the road and you end up with the same repair the original mechanic told you about.

Doctors are no different. They aren't there to give you unnecessary medication or prescribe things that you don't need and can only make their recommendations based on the symptoms described in lack of all other evidence. In the end those recommendations are rooted in their education, and unless you are dealing with a very unethical doctor; never in a search for profit. If you trusted his education and experience enough to go to him then you should trust that the self same education is good enough to make that call. Give it a shot, some NSAIDs and a bit of physical therapy never hurt anyone that did both correctly. :)
  • jlahorn
    jlahorn Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    Re: the x-ray

I have chronic lower back problems, all around intense muscle spasms that can last for weeks. Once, I tripped over something and my back went out so badly that I thought maybe I'd done some real damage. Went to the hostpital, got x-rays. As usual, it was just spasms, but they spasms were so bad that you could actually see my spine and hip being pulled badly out of alignment on the x-ray. It was kind of disturbing, actually.

I don't know if pinched nerves and/or inflammation have similar symptoms that can be identified in an x-ray, but it's a possibility.
  • spicy618
    Options
    grimendale wrote: »
    If he's prescribing anti-inflammatories and telling you not to work out, it's likely because you have swelling due to inflammation around the pinched nerve. I personally think you're being overly-suspicious, but if it worries you, get a second opinion from an actual doctor, not the internet. Exercising is not the same as physical therapy (my sister is a physical therapist, and it is highly controlled and deliberate to insure you work without re-injuring). I would listen to the doctor's orders, especially as it is only for two weeks.

Thank you. I guess the wording of "it might be" and not a definite "it's inflamation" is what I keep thinking about. However, I didn't know the differences you mentioned.
  • spicy618
    Options
    If your car is making a funny noise that you've never heard before you bring it to a mechanic. At this point you have three options. You take the mechanic at face value and allow him to fix the problem, you take it to another mechanic because you feel he ripped you off or you ignore it thinking that the small noise is just age. Small noise turns into a problem down the road and you end up with the same repair the original mechanic told you about.

Doctors are no different. They aren't there to give you unnecessary medication or prescribe things that you don't need and can only make their recommendations based on the symptoms described in lack of all other evidence. In the end those recommendations are rooted in their education, and unless you are dealing with a very unethical doctor; never in a search for profit. If you trusted his education and experience enough to go to him then you should trust that the self same education is good enough to make that call. Give it a shot, some NSAIDs and a bit of physical therapy never hurt anyone that did both correctly. :)

Thank you.
    I can appreciate your response. :)
  • barbecuesauce
    barbecuesauce Posts: 1,771 Member
    Options
    I went to PT for my sciatic nerve a few years ago and it was different from exercise--more stretching and holding than anything else. I think your doctor probably gave you good advice there. Set your MFP to maintenance if you were counting on exercise calories. You may see a slight gain due to water weight.

I would take the meds. It doesn't sound like you were prescribed a narcotic that would affect your everyday life and it will likely make physical therapy more bearable.

It's only two weeks. I would understand your concern if you were prescribed something strong, but I never experienced side effects from NSAIDs.
  • spicy618
    Options
    jlahorn wrote: »
    Re: the x-ray

I have chronic lower back problems, all around intense muscle spasms that can last for weeks. Once, I tripped over something and my back went out so badly that I thought maybe I'd done some real damage. Went to the hostpital, got x-rays. As usual, it was just spasms, but they spasms were so bad that you could actually see my spine and hip being pulled badly out of alignment on the x-ray. It was kind of disturbing, actually.

I don't know if pinched nerves and/or inflammation have similar symptoms that can be identified in an x-ray, but it's a possibility.

Wow, that sounds so painful.

I've never had any type of broken bones or back issues, so the only x-rays I've had are for my teeth. .. and now my back :smile:

Thanks for sharing yoru experience.
  • spicy618
    Options
    I went to PT for my sciatic nerve a few years ago and it was different from exercise--more stretching and holding than anything else. I think your doctor probably gave you good advice there. Set your MFP to maintenance if you were counting on exercise calories. You may see a slight gain due to water weight.

I would take the meds. It doesn't sound like you were prescribed a narcotic that would affect your everyday life and it will likely make physical therapy more bearable.

It's only two weeks. I would understand your concern if you were prescribed something strong, but I never experienced side effects from NSAIDs.

I've never had to take much medications. I'm glad to hear this :)
  • barbecuesauce
    barbecuesauce Posts: 1,771 Member
    Options
    spicy618 wrote: »

You might just have really fancy Aleve (naproxen) or Advil (ibuprofen)
  • spicy618
    Options
    spicy618 wrote: »

You might just have really fancy Aleve (naproxen) or Advil (ibuprofen)

That would not be a problem, if it's that gentle. I don't know why I think of anti-inflamatory pills like they are Steriods.. lol.
  • spicy618
    Options
    I sometimes have issues with sciatica and bursitis. My job requires sitting on my butt up to 12 hours a day with nowhere to get up and move around. Exercise is the only thing that seems to help mine. As long as I'm staying active I don't have any issues. I've never taken inflammatory meds for it or had physical therapy. Not a big believer in pharmacology. Eating healthier and avoiding foods that are inflammatory has made my aches and pains disappear. I think most doctors just take a stab in the dark on a lot of things. That's why it's called "practicing" medicine. Just one mans humble opinion. :)

I totally understand you... lol

I also work sitting all day and only get up to use the ladies room. I think that takes a big toll on my body.