Do you let your spouse know your weight?

Options
This might be the dumbest thing ever, but do you guys let your husband/wife know your weight? I've lost about 46 pounds now & I let him know how much I've lost but he doesn't know my weight or what it once was. I really want to tell him but I'm worried it might bother him. We've been married for 13 years & I know he's proud of me but for some stupid reason I just can't tell him. Would all of you married men look at your wives different if you actually knew what her weight was?
My husband is not a shallow person, he loved me 46 pounds heavier, I just worry if I tell him he might have a holy *kitten* moment. :-)

Replies

• Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    Every week I write my weight on the calendar hanging in the kitchen. Dh goes into the kitchen and can see it if he wants. He has never made a comment.
    Dh does not tell me his weight unless I specifically ask.
    It will probably be a non-event for your dh if you tell him the actual numbers.
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,658 Member
    Options
    She's on MFP. She can see it along with everyone else here.
  • LuckyMunky
    LuckyMunky Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    He knows mine, I know his. At the moment we're about the same weight.
  • Sandcastles61
    Sandcastles61 Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    Wow, you lost 46 pounds which is awesome in itself and worth celebrating! I can't imagine he would have a holy cow moment over something that is now in the past..... And it could be a good motivator to drive you on through maintaining your loss. Has he asked what you weigh now?? You say that he isn't shallow and loved you regardless so I would seriously doubt he would say anything except how proud he is of you :)
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    My husband likely couldn't tell you what I weigh if I asked him but I do say it out loud in front of him. As in "Hey, I'm at 149, yay!" But my guess is that it is one of those tidbits of info that isn't important enough for him to remember on a daily basis. He'll mention his weight in the same way after he weighs himself and I may or may not remember it by the next day.
  • EdinBeau
    EdinBeau Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I know his and he knows mine. My husband is in the military so he has to stay under a certain weight and I like to make sure he's not gonna get in any trouble. I like the husband to know mine so he can push me to get to my goal weight.
  • MisRka
    MisRka Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Yes. He knows where I started and where I am at now. I know his as well. Not really a big deal.
  • heatherlewisis
    heatherlewisis Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    i_miss_me wrote: »
    This might be the dumbest thing ever, but do you guys let your husband/wife know your weight? I've lost about 46 pounds now & I let him know how much I've lost but he doesn't know my weight or what it once was. I really want to tell him but I'm worried it might bother him. We've been married for 13 years & I know he's proud of me but for some stupid reason I just can't tell him. Would all of you married men look at your wives different if you actually knew what her weight was?
    My husband is not a shallow person, he loved me 46 pounds heavier, I just worry if I tell him he might have a holy *kitten* moment. :-)

So funny, I almost feel like I could have written this- I've also lost 46 lbs, and been married almost 13 years... Until recently I never would tell him my weight, but as he has been cheering me on I've let go of that shame... Especially when I made it to "Onederland-" I HAD to tell him! And he has been nothing but encouraging :)
  • 1966spen
    1966spen Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I'm losing weight. So is hubbie. We put our weights every Monday on the back of the door in the ensuite. He knows exactly what I weighed and what I've lost and I know the same about him. No biggie
  • Kexessa
    Kexessa Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    My husband knows my weight. I don't hide it but I really don't think he cares. For 25 years all he's ever said is "I see you with my heart not my eyes." Probably how I wound up 20+lbs overweight!
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    He knows when I tell him. He probably doesn't remember it, but I don't keep it from him at all.
  • cld111
    cld111 Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    I can understand where you're coming from. I'm sure your husband would be fine with your weight anyway, but I do get what you're saying. That said, every time I lose a little, my husband knows it! I practically shout it from the rooftops. lol The same with him too. He tells me when he's gone down.
  • peleroja
    peleroja Posts: 3,979 Member
    Options
    I've never been technically overweight (per BMI) so maybe that colours my opinion, but I can't imagine not telling him something like that, especially while I was losing weight and I was setting and meeting goals. I wanted to share those with him.

In maintenance, it's not normally a subject of discussion, other than "jeez, my pants are getting tight, better lay off the cookies for a couple weeks," but I'm sure he has a within-five-pounds idea regardless.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    MisRka wrote: »
    Yes. He knows where I started and where I am at now. I know his as well. Not really a big deal.

Same
  • i_miss_me
    i_miss_me Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    He's always telling me he's proud of me. And he will ask from time to time but I just can't bring myself to tell him. I know part of it is because I'm a pretty short woman (barely 5'3) & at my heaviest I outweighed him (who's 5'11, not fat, but a broad man). He's ALWAYS weighed 200 pounds, since high school & at my heaviest I was 238! Once I got out of the 200's I was so excited & said I was going to tell him but I didn't. I was still ashamed of it. Now I'm 191 & feeling a little better about myself but it's still bothering me. I often think that if I do tell him it'll be more motivation. :-) I was just so small when we were first married (& open about my weight) that it's hard to admit my numbers (to people I know). It doesn't help that I'm the biggest one on both side of our families. :-) But not much longer.
  • allaboutthefood
    allaboutthefood Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    My hubs is also my best friend, I tell him everything and I mean everything. If he want's to hear it or not..lol
  • sherbear702
    sherbear702 Posts: 649 Member
    Options
    Not only does my husband know, but I'll call him over when I'm on the scale and say "would you look at that! Just look at it"
  • BasicGreatGuy
    BasicGreatGuy Posts: 868 Member
    Options
    If it is important to you that he knows the number, tell him. If not, try not to place your insecurities on him, by projecting he will think any less of you. That is what I call stinkin' thinkin.'

Be proud of the progress you have made thus far, as well as the new direction in your life. Be proud that you have a husband that loves and supports you. Focus on those positive things, instead of the negative.
  • noclady1995
    noclady1995 Posts: 452 Member
    Options
    My hubby knows my weight, and frankly, I don't think it even registers to him what that means. LOL. But if I mentioned I lost 10 lbs or 50 lbs., he'd be more wowed by it.
  • auntstephie321
    auntstephie321 Posts: 3,586 Member
    Options
    Mine knows my weight, it's a competition for me to weigh less than him. I'm finally there :)

What I found though is that he has no comprehension of weight when it comes to women. I mentioned how much my sister weighed after she had her baby, and how much she had lost, he was stunned because he thought she weighed a lot lot lot less, just from looking at her.

Since he knows what you look like and loves you regardless I don't think it matters much what the number is.