PCOS & Weight Loss!

Options
Beffnaismith
Beffnaismith Posts: 8 Member
edited August 2015 in Introduce Yourself
Hi guys!

My name's Bethany Naismith and for years I've struggled with my weight. However, I've always been active and I've never really considered myself to 'over-eat' so when I was diagnosed with PCOS it began to make sense!

I'm 19, and 5ft 2 and I'm 12st 12 and I would absolutely love some support and to help support others!

If anyone has any tips or suffers from PCOS and has some guidance, hit me up!

Replies

• jmac4263
    jmac4263 Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    Hey welcome to MFP! I also have PCOS but its honestly not the worst thing ever, it will take you longer to lose but thats not always bad because then its easier to maintain the loss.

Start tracking what you eat, weigh and measure everything it helps. You may be eating healthy food but eating way larger portions than you think.

Its not impossible to lose, I lost around 40 pounds and have gained some back about 15 pounds so I am here trying again to lose it!

Good luck!
  • Childfree1991
    Childfree1991 Posts: 145 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Hi guys!

My name's Bethany Naismith and for years I've struggled with my weight. However, I've always been active and I've never really considered myself to 'over-eat' so when I was diagnosed with PCOS it began to make sense!

I'm 19, and 5ft 2 and I'm 12st 12 and I would absolutely love some support and to help support others!

It's not your PCOS. I've had Depression, been on multiple medications, been on birth control, went through several surgeries (including a tubal ligation AND hysterectomy), and hypothyroidism runs in my family (diabetes runs in my dad's side). I would do cardio one hour 5 days per week and wondered why I wasn't losing weight (I blamed all my problems, meds, etc). I eventually found out it was all in my head. I finally lost all the weight when I began resistance training and cut out processed foods. You can definitely lose it. What I suggest you do is do resistance training to build muscle (because muscle burns calories/fat 24/7), cut out as much junk as possible because it will be easier to shred the weight off with healthier eating habits (if you don't already) which fruits and veggies are lower on calories anyways. Also, do NOT starve yourself, which also means those 1200 calorie diets (just saying).
  • Beffnaismith
    Options
    That's amazing well done!

I have a lot to lose, but I was in SA volunteering over summer and I have lost a stone (I used to be 13.12) so it's a start!

I definitely will be using MFP to track what I eat and things. Is there any PCOS friendly foods that you know of?
  • Beffnaismith
    Options
    Hi guys!

It's not your PCOS. I've had Depression, been on multiple medications, been on birth control, went through several surgeries (including a tubal ligation AND hysterectomy), and hypothyroidism runs in my family (diabetes runs in my dad's side). I would do cardio one hour 5 days per week and wondered why I wasn't losing weight (I blamed all my problems, meds, etc). I eventually found out it was all in my head. I finally lost all the weight when I began resistance training and cut out processed foods. You can definitely lose it. What I suggest you do is do resistance training to build muscle (because muscle burns calories/fat 24/7), cut out as much junk as possible because it will be easier to shred the weight off with healthier eating habits (if you don't already) which fruits and veggies are lower on calories anyways. Also, do NOT starve yourself, which also means those 1200 calorie diets (just saying).

Yeah I also have an under active thyroid but my TRH hormones aren't enough for me to be given Levothyroxine (or something) I'm going back to my Gp in a few weeks to be retested also!

Thank you so much for your support I definitely will keep that in mind

• MarziPanda95
    MarziPanda95 Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options
    Hi guys!

As long as OP sticks to her calorie goal, she'll lose weight no matter what she eats.
    I've been here a long time (and I have PCOS, too!) and what I've seen is that the most successful people (I suppose I consider myself one of those, having lost 62lbs) are those that don't cut ANYTHING out. It's best to learn to regulate those kinds of foods so that you don't feel deprived. In the past I would cut out anything 'bad'... and then quit my diet in a week because I missed chocolate and pizza. Now I've realised that I can have those things in moderation, as long as I don't go over my calories. A lot of people go by 80% nutrient dense food - meat, vegetables etc, and 20% 'treats'. I go by that too. I've gone from 15st 1lb (211lbs) to 10st 8lb (148lbs) in about 15 months. Have you been tested for insulin resistance? It might be best to lower your carbs a bit if you do have it. You can do it, OP!
  • jaimebruckler
    jaimebruckler Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    PCOS can be a real pain when it comes to losing weight. It isn't impossible though, but the journey is a bit like climbing a mountain while carrying a 75 lb weight on your back. Not impossible, but tough. You can do it though!!!

Watch those carbs! 20g or lessons best for PCOS since most of us are also insulin-resistant.

Are you on metformin? It helps with some cases but I wasn't so lucky.

Good luck!!!!!
  • Beffnaismith
    Options
    PCOS can be a real pain when it comes to losing weight. It isn't impossible though, but the journey is a bit like climbing a mountain while carrying a 75 lb weight on your back. Not impossible, but tough. You can do it though!!!

Watch those carbs! 20g or lessons best for PCOS since most of us are also insulin-resistant.

p
    Good luck!!!!!

Thank you! Yeah I am going to work my butt off to reach my target weight. I'm not on metformin or anything like that.

I definitely didn't know that about carbs! So will cut them down cause right now, they're quite a staple part of my diet.

• Lizzles4Shizzles
    Lizzles4Shizzles Posts: 122 Member
    Options

p
    Good luck!!!!!

Thank you! Yeah I am going to work my butt off to reach my target weight. I'm not on metformin or anything like that.

I definitely didn't know that about carbs! So will cut them down cause right now, they're quite a staple part of my diet.

The idea of lowering carbs really only applies to those who are insulin resistant. Not everyone with PCOS is insulin resistant - I'm not. I don't cut anything out of my diet, I'm just choosier about when and how much of it I consume. I'm losing weight just fine. However, I will say that weight lifting has helped much more than when I was only doing cardio, so I would highly suggest incorporating some resistance training into your routine. Talk with your doctor about getting a full blood panel so you can determine whether or not you're insulin resistant (if you haven't already determined that) and that will better enable you to choose the best way of eating.
  • hbaer88
    hbaer88 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Hello!
    I have struggled 4yrs with pcos, and I can say counting my calories has really helped. Also I am on low carbs as well. These have helped along with working out. Add me, always looking for friends to help each other along the way.
  • apricotmuffins
    apricotmuffins Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    There's so many of us!

I was diagnosed recently and I have yet to go on anything extra for it apart from starting Lo Loestrin Fe birth control, which I've been on for the past month. I've also managed to lose 12lbs in the past 40 days, something I never tried before and never actually thought I could do.

I started out on 1200 calories a day, which was a bit too low for me (5"7, 200lbs), but with careful choices I manged to not feel like I was completely deprived. I upped my calories to 1300, with some days a little bit more so I can choose to have a treat now and then. I don't think I could ever really do Keto or extreme low carb, but I try to keep my carbs to under 100g a day. So far it's working!

Honestly, if you do lower your refined carbs, cut out most breads/pasta/rice, you have a little more wiggle room within your calorie limit. I am a huge fan of doing a veggie+ a protein (chicken/prawns/tofu) stir-fry, without noodles or rice. I end up with a mountain of food that fills me up and I rarely break 300 calories with it.

I already have insulin issues, though. I have a mitochondrial mutation which has made me mildly diabetic (I like to call it special snowflake diabetes, it's more that my pancreas just decides to be deficient from time to time rather than full on insulin resistant like type 2, or crapping out on me completely as in type 1)

Either way, here's to getting healthier. Weight loss is possible, even with PCOS, even with insulin resistance. Some hormonal regulation will make it easier for sure, but a reasonable calorie deficit plus exercise will do the job (AND help control the PCOS symptoms.)
  • Beffnaismith
    Options
    Aww you guys are all great! It's great to know there's so many success stories with PCOS etc.

Good luck to everyone!
  • dahhhhhling
    dahhhhhling Posts: 66 Member
    Options

p
    Good luck!!!!!

You do not need to cut carbs unless you have blood sugar/insulin resistance issues. I have mine set at around 130g/day and am losing just fine.

What I found really helped me was increasing my healthy fat intake (nuts and nut butters, avocados, oily fish) and training with heavy weights. And go to the doc and get some blood test done (insulin tests, a hormone panel, thyroid) then have them re tested after three to four of months of regular exercise and calorie control.

• Childfree1991
    Childfree1991 Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    Hi guys!

As long as OP sticks to her calorie goal, she'll lose weight no matter what she eats.
    I've been here a long time (and I have PCOS, too!) and what I've seen is that the most successful people (I suppose I consider myself one of those, having lost 62lbs) are those that don't cut ANYTHING out. It's best to learn to regulate those kinds of foods so that you don't feel deprived. In the past I would cut out anything 'bad'... and then quit my diet in a week because I missed chocolate and pizza. Now I've realised that I can have those things in moderation, as long as I don't go over my calories. A lot of people go by 80% nutrient dense food - meat, vegetables etc, and 20% 'treats'. I go by that too. I've gone from 15st 1lb (211lbs) to 10st 8lb (148lbs) in about 15 months. Have you been tested for insulin resistance? It might be best to lower your carbs a bit if you do have it. You can do it, OP!

You missed it because you made it a diet, not a lifestyle change. I wore off of it because I didn't make it a diet. Pizza is now disgusting to me.

• pancakemix16
    pancakemix16 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Hi guys!

You missed it because you made it a diet, not a lifestyle change. I wore off of it because I didn't make it a diet. Pizza is now disgusting to me.

• pancakemix16
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Happy I have found success stories!!!
    Long story for me, I've been struggling with PCOS for over 10 years. Have tried metformin, which didn't really work for me. I have tried off and on to lose weight with some success and some not.
    I have all the fun symptoms of PCOS, excess hair on my chin, loss of hair on my head, easily gain weight, hard to lose weight and cystic acne. I just started Spironolactone a few weeks ago. It seems to be helping with all my issues. I've had laser on my face so the hair isn't so horrible, so they hair is growing in thinner, acne is clearing. I am sticking to my low carb diet and exercise.
    Looking for new friends who are also struggling with PCOS to help each stay motivated and understand each other's snuggles. Please feel free to add me
  • pancakemix16
    edited August 2015
    Options
  • lejoie
    lejoie Posts: 51 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    No matter what anyone tells you, PCOS is a huge contributor to your weight. I only say that because I believe I saw someone up above say it wasn't your PCOS, and that just seems silly.

I have NO other issues other than PCOS (healthy thyroid, blood pressure, no depression - believe me, I'd had every test known to man) and when I found out about my diagnosis, it was like a blessing. I finally knew how to eat for my body type!

For me, I cut grains completely (except for maybe one snack every now and then) because I just didn't need them. They're highly inflammatory and also ridiculously carb heavy so it just wasn't worth it. I eat <1400 calories a day and roughly 60-70 grams of carbs. I lost weight so fast, it was so great!

Also, with PCOS - be aware of the chemicals you ingest. Naturally, everything has chemical compounds but I mean ADDED chemicals. I'm sure you know, but women with PCOS don't fare well with ingesting them. They send hormone levels on the fritz and thus make weight loss more difficult.

I've done lots of research on PCOS and it feels really great having it under control. Many women with PCOS suffer no symptoms of it, but if you're like me and you've got the heavy weight, stubborn weight loss, terrible periods and all that jazz, you're not alone!

I'm here if you need a friend!

• Beffnaismith
    Options
    jaynesje wrote: »
    No matter what anyone tells you, PCOS is a huge contributor to your weight. I only say that because I believe I saw someone up above say it wasn't your PCOS, and that just seems silly.

I have NO other issues other than PCOS (healthy thyroid, blood pressure, no depression - believe me, I'd had every test known to man) and when I found out about my diagnosis, it was like a blessing. I finally knew how to eat for my body type!

For me, I cut grains completely (except for maybe one snack every now and then) because I just didn't need them. They're highly inflammatory and also ridiculously carb heavy so it just wasn't worth it. I eat <1400 calories a day and roughly 60-70 grams of carbs. I lost weight so fast, it was so great!

Also, with PCOS - be aware of the chemicals you ingest. Naturally, everything has chemical compounds but I mean ADDED chemicals. I'm sure you know, but women with PCOS don't fare well with ingesting them. They send hormone levels on the fritz and thus make weight loss more difficult.

I've done lots of research on PCOS and it feels really great having it under control. Many women with PCOS suffer no symptoms of it, but if you're like me and you've got the heavy weight, stubborn weight loss, terrible periods and all that jazz, you're not alone!

I'm here if you need a friend!

Thank you so so much. This was such a helpful post. The person that said it wasn't my PCOS is definitely flawed as PCOS is a direct cause of obesity in some cases - in fact over 50% of PCOS sufferers are overweight.

I am due for an appointment at my GP to get tests done so I'll see about insulin resistance. I have severe side effects because of my other conditions - and the only thing that helps me now is eating healthier and exercising!
  • sweetmaryk
    sweetmaryk Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I have so appreciated the comments on this board. It is encouraging to know we are not alone in our struggle. Thank you for the comments. I've read so much about what to do and try. I was taking metformin, but recently gave it up. I am trying to slowly eliminate extra chemicals from my diet, count calories, and increase my activity level. The weight is coming off slowly!
    Has anyone tried using a probiotic? I've heard it can help with hormone levels. :)