Sweet dreams are made of cheese..

Options
2»

Replies

• lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    It is not the dairy that we like about cheese.

Speak for yourself. The dairy is most certainly part of what I like about cheese.

The lovely, creamy dairy.

OP, I have not tried any vegan "cheeses," but if your issue is calories you can get a ton of flavor from a little feta, for not many calories. I love many kinds of cheese and consider trying new cheeses one of the joys of life, but for regularly daily use feta is great.

I also love this place and its cheese tasting notes, hilarious: http://www.pastoralartisan.com/
  • R1rainbows
    R1rainbows Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    andrikosDE wrote: »
    leonardo_da_vinci_mona_lisa_postcards-r5430830f1c55466184be649b5675e9f3_vgbaq_8byvr_512.jpg

CHEESE

odd_ecce_homo_1.jpg

VEGAN CHEESE

This thread went from pure win to epic **** win. Thank you for making me lose my **** laughing at work!!! :D
  • laconrad2013
    laconrad2013 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    If you really believe it is the dairy that you like about cheese and not the fat and the salt then I do challenge you to eat only fat and salt free cheese from now on. If that does not satisfy you then I do rest my case. Also a little kindness goes a long way. I know it's supposed to be funny but it is at my expense. I was only trying to help the person who specifically asked about vegan cheese.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    If you really believe it is the dairy that you like about cheese and not the fat and the salt then I do challenge you to eat only fat and salt free cheese from now on.

What part of "part of what I like" is too difficult for you to understand?

Besides, the fat is naturally in the dairy.
  • sheermomentum
    sheermomentum Posts: 827 Member
    Options
    andrikosDE wrote: »
    There is no such thing as healthy cheese, a diet is healthier without cheese so I would just give it up.

Wow. The truth has been spoken. Now i must stop seeking it.

What we crave in cheese is the fat and salt.

Please drink a nice tall glass of salted soybean oil. According to you, same thing.

You can also replace Parmesan cheese with nutritional yeast and ricotta with tofu mixed with a little olive oil.

You could. You can also replace a laptop with a rock and a chisel or a car with riding a triceratops.

I find it quite disturbing how people celebrate the restrictions they put on themselves as if they're true martyrs.

Cheese is life, cheese is art, cheese is gastronomy and enjoyment and passion.
    Please stop spray-painting the mona lisa and insisting that it's now improved.

You are my hero.
  • Tarasaurus_Rex
    Tarasaurus_Rex Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    andrikosDE has it right. Haha. CHEESE IS LIFE! I'm lactose intolerant and I still eat it! I do have some GO Veggie cheese in my arsenal, which is acceptable melted on an egg sandwich, but that's about it. It's no substitute for real cheese. They say moderation works. I'm not familiar with that concept, though. :)
  • andrikosDE
    andrikosDE Posts: 383 Member
    Options
    If you really believe it is the dairy that you like about cheese and not the fat and the salt then I do challenge you to eat only fat and salt free cheese from now on. If that does not satisfy you then I do rest my case. Also a little kindness goes a long way. I know it's supposed to be funny but it is at my expense. I was only trying to help the person who specifically asked about vegan cheese.

Sorry about the bruised ego. Don't take it personally, we're just passionate about cheese, ;)

As far as low fat cheese is concerned, well, I wouldn't call it a fully developed and enhanced experienced. As far as salt is concerned, it's a global flavor ampliifier, it doesn't just enhance cheese, it enhances every single food you eat. Even cakes benefit from salt additions.

As for decent low fat cheeses

Look up Handkäse (I live in Germany). It has 1-2% fat, 27-39% protein. It's an acquired taste for sure but it melts like a mofo and will turn a watery soup into a velvety delight ;)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Handkäse

Cottage cheese is alright, not my favorite though.

I'm more of a full fat, salty, aged cheese kind of man.
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,472 Member
    Options
    and fine red wine.... lots.
  • ohmscheeks
    ohmscheeks Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    and fine red wine.... lots.
    I like a nice white zinfandel, but you're thinking the right way!
  • vrivera1450
    vrivera1450 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Wow! Some of the comments are hilarious!! You've all made me realize how much I don't want to give up real cheese. Thank you!!!!