Curious about veganism

Options
I've been having thoughts on converting to veganism, mainly for health reasons & im an animal lover
I've been slowly cutting out meat (mainly red) I mainly eat white meat and wish, fruits and veggies of course. Is there any people planning on being plant based/any people that are already plant based, if anyone has any documentries/websites/blogs etc that i could watch/read about that would help me become plant based please let me know or if anyone has any tips :-)

Replies

• aledba
    aledba Posts: 564 Member
    Options
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    Being a vegan and eating a plant-based diet are different things. I was going to say "different animals" but it didn't seem appropriate. There is a LOT more to it than what you eat.

If you aren't ready to commit to a vegan lifestyle, the better phrase for your diet is "plant-based diet."

I have a great deal of respect for the vegans. They are committed and dedicated to living in accordance with their principles. I couldn't do it, but I admire them.
  • MakePeasNotWar
    MakePeasNotWar Posts: 1,329 Member
    Options
    Some of the sites I like:

No Meat Athlete (vegan runner's blog)
    Nutrition Facts.org (science blog with studies cited for every article)
    Oh She Glows (mostly recipes)
    Fat Free Vegan (recipes)
    Pritikin.com (website for the Pritikin Longevity Centre. Not entirely vegan, but mostly plant based with lots of great nutrition info, based on current research, and some recipes)
    The Laziest Vegans in the World (vegan prepared food and restaurant reviews)
  • blissalexandra
    blissalexandra Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Kalikel wrote: »
    Being a vegan and eating a plant-based diet are different things. I was going to say "different animals" but it didn't seem appropriate. There is a LOT more to it than what you eat.

If you aren't ready to commit to a vegan lifestyle, the better phrase for your diet is "plant-based diet."

I have a great deal of respect for the vegans. They are committed and dedicated to living in accordance with their principles. I couldn't do it, but I admire them.

Oh really? I didn't realise. Do you know the specific difference between them both ?
  • blissalexandra
    Options
    Some of the sites I like:

No Meat Athlete (vegan runner's blog)
    Nutrition Facts.org (science blog with studies cited for every article)
    Oh She Glows (mostly recipes)
    Fat Free Vegan (recipes)
    Pritikin.com (website for the Pritikin Longevity Centre. Not entirely vegan, but mostly plant based with lots of great nutrition info, based on current research, and some recipes)
    The Laziest Vegans in the World (vegan prepared food and restaurant reviews)

• blissalexandra
    Options
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options

Oh really? I didn't realise. Do you know the specific difference between them both ?
    Vegans are pro-animal and against harming, abusing or taking advantage of them in any way. They don't wear anything made of leather or any other animal product. No leather purses, accessories, etc.

I once knew a vegan who had to choose between trying to save her life or taking a drug made a company she hated because they tested on animals. She ended up taking the drug. I encouraged it, because IMO, Alive is better than Dead And Supporting Animals, but she really, seriously struggled with her decision and was, in fact, uncomfortable with herself about taking it. Had she decided not to take it, I'd have supported that, though. Her choice.

I don't know if all vegans would struggle like that, but she did.

I read a fight online over honey. Was it okay to eat or not? Back and forth. The basic answer that most everyone agreed with (though not all supported this) was that honey was okay to eat if AND ONLY IF the bees were not manipulated in any way...which could really only happen if you came across a hive in the woods and retrieved the honey yourself without damaging anything or harming any of the bees.

The vegans are SERIOUS about living by their principles. You have to admire them. And they do have a point. I would not personally skin an animal myself and wear it on my feet. I'd find something else to wear. When I think of the baby chicks who are killed so that I can buy eggs, I feel some shame.

I don't stand up for the animals and that's not very good of me. I have a LOT of respect for the vegans and am with them in spirit, if not in practice. They have the gumption to do what I won't. (Even if I were, though, I think I'd eat the honey. The bees sting me, so I don't care if they're manipulated into producing honey on city rooftops that shorten their lifespan. I'd never be a non-honey-eating vegan even if I had the courage of my convictions, which I do not.)

The vegans would prefer it if those who aren't completely on board with the lifestyle would use the term "plant-based diet." To them, it is a lifestyle, not a way of eating.

They have a point. :)
  • laconrad2013
    laconrad2013 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I have been vegan for over three years. Go ahead and friend me!
    And to add to the answer of what is different between vegan and plant based it's really that plant based is a diet and vegan is a transformation that is not reversible. A diet is something people cheat on, I know I always do haha! And it's something people go on and off of. But veganism is not that way. Once vegan you see the cow the same as a dog, because they are the same in reality. You will no more go to bed wishing you could have had a cheeseburger than wishing you could have had a poodle sandwich. So if you would never crave a poodle or feel restricted because you can't eat a poodle then you already understand how it is possible that once you go vegan you never go back. You don't want to. Every animal is the same because in reality they are. So that's really the difference. I might add that it's so much easier to eat a plant based diet if you go vegan because you never crave animal products anymore :-) So if you can do it that way you will have the best success!!!
    Have a great night!!!
  • Furbuster
    Furbuster Posts: 254 Member
    Options

Vegans are pro-animal and against harming, abusing or taking advantage of them in any way. They don't wear anything made of leather or any other animal product. No leather purses, accessories, etc.

I once knew a vegan who had to choose between trying to save her life or taking a drug made a company she hated because they tested on animals. She ended up taking the drug. I encouraged it, because IMO, Alive is better than Dead And Supporting Animals, but she really, seriously struggled with her decision and was, in fact, uncomfortable with herself about taking it. Had she decided not to take it, I'd have supported that, though. Her choice.

I read a fight online over honey. Was it okay to eat or not? Back and forth. The basic answer that most everyone agreed with (though not all supported this) was that honey was okay to eat if AND ONLY IF the bees were not manipulated in any way...which could really only happen if you came across a hive in the woods and retrieved the honey yourself without damaging anything or harming any of the bees.

The vegans are SERIOUS about living by their principles. You have to admire them. And they do have a point. I would not personally skin an animal myself and wear it on my feet. I'd find something else to wear. When I think of the baby chicks who are killed so that I can buy eggs, I feel some shame.

I don't stand up for the animals and that's not very good of me. I have a LOT of respect for the vegans and am with them in spirit, if not in practice. They have the gumption to do what I won't. (Even if I were, though, I think I'd eat the honey. The bees sting me, so I don't care if they're manipulated into producing honey on city rooftops that shorten their lifespan. I'd never be a non-honey-eating vegan even if I had the courage of my convictions, which I do not.)

The vegans would prefer it if those who aren't completely on board with the lifestyle would use the term "plant-based diet." To them, it is a lifestyle, not a way of eating.

That was a very nice post :)
  • MondayJune22nd2015
    MondayJune22nd2015 Posts: 876 Member
    Options
    While I do respect the Vegan lifestyle, it's impossible to live without harming animals; even if it's unbeknownst to us. Even if we were just to wear a gold ring, digging for that gold; no doubt displaced & killed some animals.

However my Shrimp consumption does bother me somewhat more than consuming any other animal & that's because 1 I eat more than 1 at a time (approximately 2 or 3) so I am eating 2 or 3 lives instead of just 1, unlike when I eat a steak & 2 they're cooked while they're still alive. So I do plan to cease eating them, when I finish losing the weight; that I desire to lose.
  • Furbuster
    Furbuster Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    Hey OP.

I've been slowly withdrawing from animal products and finding my own level with what I am comfortable with.

I will never be vegan (as I have no problem with eating or using animals in other ways and have raised and slaughtered my own backyard poultry for eggs and dog food). But and it's a huge but, I have a massive issue with agri-business and how animals and the planet are affected.

Even if I did stop eating all animal products all together I would still count myself as an omnivore, because as said before by others I don't have the beliefs that vegans do. It is a subtle but big difference. I eat a plant based diet and for me, that's comfortable.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    "Vegan" is a way of eating AND living.
    "Plant based" means that you get your food from plants.
    "Vegetarian" means you eat dairy and eggs although most of your foods comes from plants.
  • blissalexandra
    Options
    Furbuster wrote: »

That was a very nice post :)

Thanks ! Makes a lot more sense to me now, thanks for your help :-)
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    While I do respect the Vegan lifestyle, it's impossible to live without harming animals; even if it's unbeknownst to us. Even if we were just to wear a gold ring, digging for that gold; no doubt displaced & killed some animals.

However my Shrimp consumption does bother me somewhat more than consuming any other animal & that's because 1 I eat more than 1 at a time (approximately 2 or 3) so I am eating 2 or 3 lives instead of just 1, unlike when I eat a steak & 2 they're cooked while they're still alive. So I do plan to cease eating them, when I finish losing the weight; that I desire to lose.

Veganism specifically calls for limiting animal exploitation to the extent that it is possible and practicable. If something is impossible to avoid, it's already exempted.
  • laconrad2013
    laconrad2013 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Oh yeah I should have said that veganism isn't about not harming. It's about choosing not to harm whenever possible.
  • MondayJune22nd2015
    MondayJune22nd2015 Posts: 876 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options

Veganism specifically calls for limiting animal exploitation to the extent that it is possible and practicable. If something is impossible to avoid, it's already exempted.
    Oh yeah I should have said that veganism isn't about not harming. It's about choosing not to harm whenever possible.

Okay but wearing jewelry is a choice, that's possible & practical to choose, not to do.
  • MakePeasNotWar
    MakePeasNotWar Posts: 1,329 Member
    Options
    I have been vegan for over three years. Go ahead and friend me!
    And to add to the answer of what is different between vegan and plant based it's really that plant based is a diet and vegan is a transformation that is not reversible. A diet is something people cheat on, I know I always do haha! And it's something people go on and off of. But veganism is not that way. Once vegan you see the cow the same as a dog, because they are the same in reality. You will no more go to bed wishing you could have had a cheeseburger than wishing you could have had a poodle sandwich. So if you would never crave a poodle or feel restricted because you can't eat a poodle then you already understand how it is possible that once you go vegan you never go back. You don't want to. Every animal is the same because in reality they are. So that's really the difference. I might add that it's so much easier to eat a plant based diet if you go vegan because you never crave animal products anymore :-) So if you can do it that way you will have the best success!!!
    Have a great night!!!

That is a great way to explain it.