FitBit Calorie Adjustment is super confusing.

Replies

• slinke2014
    slinke2014 Posts: 149 Member
    Fitbit and MFP don't care what you manually set it too. it has its own set of algorithms. Why don't you just set it for 1 or .5 lbs loss and follow what MFP says. Works pretty well for me.
  • editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    magiross wrote: »
    I have mine manually set at 1375.

I NEVER use MFP's recommendation for 1.5lb/week or 2lb/week because I feel that 1200cal/day isn't healthy for ANYONE.

You can't use a manual goal with Fitbit. Use the settings I explained above.
  • WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    I have mine manually set at 1375. I have a BMR of 1575, which means if I laid in bed all day and did NOTHING, I would burn 1575cals.

I NEVER use MFP's recommendation for 1.5lb/week or 2lb/week because I feel that 1200cal/day isn't healthy for ANYONE.

So here's what your FitBit said:

-You burned 1575 calories doing nothing.
    -You burned *something* doing your run (we're not sure exactly, but your FitBit webpage would have a chart showing its calculation)
    -You burned *something else* doing dishes and getting dressed and walking to your car

Your FitBit says that those things added up to 2200 for the day. Is it possible you don't burn 600 calories running? We have similar stats and I probably would only burn about 400 ADDITIONAL calories (over and above my BMR for that period) running 5 miles.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    edited August 2015
    How many calories did you burn the rest of your day (not counting the run)? I can run, burn a ton of calories, and still have a low burn day overall if I'm not moving very much (um, not that I'd ever do that!)

My TOTAL tdee was 2200, my run accounts for roughly 600 of that, meaning that I burnt an additional 1600cals throughout the day.

Oops, sorry that I missed that when you typed it the first time. Well, that was my best suggestion. Sorry I couldn't help. Good luck!
  • magiross
    magiross Posts: 13 Member
    WBB55 wrote: »
    I have mine manually set at 1375. I have a BMR of 1575, which means if I laid in bed all day and did NOTHING, I would burn 1575cals.

-You burned *something* doing your run (we're not sure exactly, but your FitBit webpage would have a chart showing its calculation)
    -You burned *something else* doing dishes and getting dressed and walking to your car

Your FitBit says that those things added up to 2200 for the day. Is it possible you don't burn 600 calories running? We have similar stats and I probably would only burn about 400 ADDITIONAL calories (over and above my BMR for that period) running 5 miles.

No, I definitely burn that much. The treadmills says it (I enter height/weight) and matches up within 10-15cals of what MFP says too (when I used to manually enter my workouts) ..you're probably not running as fast as me.
  • WBB55
    edited August 2015

No, I definitely burn that much. The treadmills says it (I enter height/weight) and matches up within 10-15cals of what MFP says too (when I used to manually enter my workouts) ..you're probably not running as fast as me.

I would trust my FitBit burn over what the treadmill says, personally. MFP is notorious for overestimating burn. Also, the more efficient/better you are at running -- ironically -- the fewer calories you burn (for the same distance) due to momentum and muscle adaptation and your heart simply getting better at delivering oxygen.
  • magiross

I would trust my FitBit burn over what the treadmill says, personally. MFP is notorious for overestimating burn. Also, the more efficient/better you are at running -- ironically -- the fewer calories you burn (for the same distance) due to momentum and muscle adaptation and your heart simply getting better at delivering oxygen.

Oh I'm aware that as you adjust, you have to increase the challenge. I'm training for a half marathon, so I'm constantly increasing speed, distance and sometimes I throw in a bit of an incline. I run 5 miles now, at a speed of 6.5mph. I also do HIIT sprints 5-6 times per run, at a speed of 9mph. A month ago, I could barely run 3 miles. So I am getting better, running faster, and running longer, to achieve the "burn" I desire. Does that make sense?
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 14,133 Member
    Your fitbit is new. Did you have a complete 24 hour day?
  • WBB55

Oh I'm aware that as you adjust, you have to increase the challenge. I'm training for a half marathon, so I'm constantly increasing speed, distance and sometimes I throw in a bit of an incline. I run 5 miles now, at a speed of 6.5mph. I also do HIIT sprints 5-6 times per run, at a speed of 9mph. A month ago, I could barely run 3 miles. So I am getting better, running faster, and running longer, to achieve the "burn" I desire. Does that make sense?

Sure, but does it make sense that I suspect each of your runs is not exactly 600 calories? No matter what the treadmill says?
  • PAV8888
    The fitbit "exercise" adjustment is NOT an exercise adjustment; it is a TDEE adjustment.

Set yourself up as @editorgrrl suggests, using 1lb loss (500Cal deficit) for MFP, with negative adjustments enabled and eat as per MFP's suggestions as long as your Fitbit and Mfp are synchronizing properly.

Since you want to set yourself to eat 200 Cal less than MFP suggests, and assuming you're up and about till midnight, eat to 200 Cal less than MFP suggests including eating back your complete exercise adjustment.

IF you are not setup as sedentary in MFP and if you do go to bed before midnight leave an extra 100 to 200 Cal buffer space to compensate for your reduced late evening activity level... this compensation should be minimal if you're setup at the sedentary level in MFP.

Read @heybales 's FAQ in the Fitbit group as to WHY you should be choosing all these settings.

For running and walking activities the Fitbit TDEE calculations are pretty darn accurate unless there is a settings or hardware issue.
  • PAV8888
    The fitbit "exercise" adjustment is NOT an exercise adjustment; it is a TDEE adjustment.

Set yourself up as @editorgrrl suggests, using 1lb loss (500Cal deficit) for MFP, with negative adjustments enabled and eat as per MFP's suggestions as long as your Fitbit and Mfp are synchronizing properly.

Since you want to set yourself to eat 200 Cal less than MFP suggests, and assuming you're up and about till midnight, eat to 200 Cal less than MFP suggests including eating back your complete exercise adjustment.

IF you are not setup as sedentary in MFP and if you do go to bed before midnight leave an extra 100 to 200 Cal buffer space to compensate for your reduced late evening activity level... this compensation should be minimal if you're setup at the sedentary level in MFP.

Read @heybales 's FAQ in the Fitbit group as to WHY you should be choosing all these settings.

For running and walking activities the Fitbit TDEE calculations are pretty darn accurate unless there is a settings or hardware issue.
  • magiross

Sure, but does it make sense that I suspect each of your runs is not exactly 600 calories? No matter what the treadmill says?

Not really, no. I never once said it was exactly. In fact, I've used the term "approx" more than once throughout this thread. The 600cal burn was something I used as a comparison. I'm saying that when I entered my info in the treadmill correctly and then worked out, that when I then added my workouts to MFP (before I had a FitBit) it was within 10-15cals of what the treadmill said. All of my info is also correct in MFP.

The point of your initial post was to state that because YOU only burn roughly 400 cals in 5 miles, that I must as well. Which is wildly assumptive and simply not correct.
  • WBB55

Not really, no. I never once said it was exactly. In fact, I've used the term "approx" more than once throughout this thread. The 600cal burn was something I used as a comparison. I'm saying that when I entered my info in the treadmill correctly and then worked out, that when I then added my workouts to MFP (before I had a FitBit) it was within 10-15cals of what the treadmill said. All of my info is also correct in MFP.

The point of your initial post was to state that because YOU only burn roughly 400 cals in 5 miles, that I must as well. Which is wildly assumptive and simply not correct.

I'm sorry I'm not helpful to you. I hope you find the answers you're seeking. Good luck with the training :)
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Fitbit adjustment is:

Total Fitbit Calorie Burn - MFP estimated calorie burn (based on activity level) = adjustment

^That's it. There is nothing more to it.

How did you determine that your BMR was 1575?
  • Dnarules
    Dnarules Posts: 2,081 Member
    The fitbit is doing what it is supposed to do based on the numbers. But you can always unsync the fitbit and go back to manually entering your exercise if that worked for you.
  • Merkavar
    Merkavar Posts: 3,082 Member
    If my caloric goal in MFP already includes a 500cal/day deficit, (as I said, 1375c/day is justtttt above my Basal Metabolic Rate) how do I fix this? I think I'm basically double dipping now in terms of deficits.

Sounds like it's working as intended.

You just were active enough the rest of the day it seems.

Like when I wake up I have negative 100 calorie adjustment.

By around 5pm it's negative 50. Cause I'm fairly sedentary

If I burn 100 calories on the treadmill my fit bit adjustment to mfp won't be plus 100 it will be plus 50.

That's what it sounds like your having issues with. The Fitbit adjustment is for the entire day not just your specific run exercise.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    acheben wrote: »
    Okay, so based on your FitBit your TDEE yesterday was 2200 calories. Your adjusted calorie goal was 1673 calories. That results in a daily calorie deficit of 527 calories or just about a pound per week weight loss.

Do you have MFP set for a 1lb/week rate of weight loss?

^^ this
    If your activity happens later in the day it affects the TDEE...trust your fitbit, it's accurate :smile:
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    There are syncing issues going on for awhile now - both ways.

I don't see where anyone asked you, and you didn't share yet - what the adjustment is based on.

Go to MFP exercise tab, Fitbit calorie adjustment - and look at the more info (tap in app, "i" in web account) - and look at the values as to what MFP has for Fitbit reported calorie burn and the time.

If that's not right - forget any of the math being right.

Also, the math can start appearing flaky if you use a manually set eating goal - though it can still be right.

You don't have to use the block of calories that MFP uses, if you want your own between deficit - say 380, to whatever you burn.
    But you do then have to understand how the math is done.

And the FAQ in Fitbit group, 2nd section, shows that math.
  • jeepinshawn
    jeepinshawn Posts: 642 Member
    edited August 2015
    So I don't understand where you got your BMR? Additionally, from my experience with my fitbit, yours is functioning properly. Your beef seems to be that the treadmill and MFP claim your burn is much higher then your fitbit does. The reality is the treadmill and MFP both tend to wildly over estimate your burn.

Fitbits calculations are more accurate, and as technology has improved the newer fitbits are more accurate. If you want to eat more, then eat more, but honestly the calculations listed have all been dead on. You seem to be seeking someone/anyones approval to eat more, you don't need it, just eat more, don't complain when your weightloss is 1/2 lb or no pounds.

Like others have said you want to loose weight, follow MFP calorie guide, heck I'm 5'10" and am down from 269 to 202 and now only consume 1300~calories per day. I walk/jog 7 miles a day, and when I choose to eat correctly I don't go to bed hungry. I log everything now and I try not to eat back any exercise calories.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    edited August 2015
    I've read that if you're using a fitbit and you manually enter your calories into mfp instead of following the "guided' calories, then your numbers will be off.

Enter your stats, let mfp give you it's recommended calories and trust your fitbit.