How and when do you eat your calories?

Options

Replies

• HikeCyclist
    HikeCyclist Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    Thanks for your responses. It's interesting to see how different things work for different people.
  • SergeantSausage
    SergeantSausage Posts: 1,673 Member
    Options
    Thanks for your responses. It's interesting to see how different things work for different people.

All things work for all people, as long as The Deficit remains.

• slowrollem
    slowrollem Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I try to eat the same at all three meals leaving enough extra calories for two snacks, one before lunch and one before dinner.
  • HikeCyclist
    Options

All things work for all people, as long as The Deficit remains.

I meant when it comes to dealing with being overly hungry and cravings. People do different things to manage them. And not all things work for everybody. What I'm saying is, I think that if I eat too little in the mornings, I want to eat more at night to the point that it puts me at risk of wanting to over eat. When it comes to being able to stay within your calorie limit, some people find it easier to stick to those calories when eating less in the mornings and more at night, and some people can't.....
  • HikeCyclist
    edited August 2015
    Options
    I didn't ask about whether people put themselves in a deficit or not. It was about how they spread out their calories during the day in a way that helps them stay within their calorie goal. ;)

Sorry if I wasn't clear enough.
  • Valtishia
    Valtishia Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    I just eat when I am hungry. Its is typically every few hours.... but I don't really set my watch by it or anything.
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    Just depends on the day really. I mostly have a light breakfast (protein shake with fruit) because I workout in the morning and can't do it with anything heavier, even with the shake I have to wait at least an hour! (Working out fasted is just not a thing for me). Then my appetite is suppressed by the workout so it could be late afternoon before I'm hungry, I may have a snack then or just have late lunch/early dinner. I always leave room for a treat later in the evening.

At weekends, my rest days, it's all over the place depending on when I drag myself out of bed, if I'm working etc.

So, in short, I eat when I'm hungry, which is always different.
  • robspot
    robspot Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    I didn't ask about whether people put themselves in a deficit or not. It was about how they spread out their calories during the day in a way that helps them stay within their calorie goal. ;)

Doesn't matter what question you ask round here, people will answer whatever they want anyway ;)
  • accidentalpancake
    accidentalpancake Posts: 484 Member
    Options
    Orally. In the evening.
  • HikeCyclist
    edited August 2015
    Options
    robspot wrote: »

Doesn't matter what question you ask round here, people will answer whatever they want anyway ;)

deleted because I didn't respond to this properly
  • HikeCyclist
    edited August 2015
    Options
    What happened was that he didn't understand my question, it seems.
  • HikeCyclist
    Options
    I guess I was wrong to clarify? It's a crazy world ha ha
  • happysquidmuffin
    happysquidmuffin Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    Eat anywhere between 700-950 calories by the time I'm off work at 4, then I can have 500-800 calories for dinner and late night snacking depending on if/how much I work out that day
  • robspot
    robspot Posts: 130 Member
    Options

No, that's what I meant. You can ask what you like, people will often ignore your question and answer something else. I was being sarcastic. Sorry :D
  • ki4eld
    ki4eld Posts: 1,215 Member
    Options
    Lunch is my heavy meal. I don't do well with breakfast, so the most I'll have is an egg or a protein shake. I usually eat a pretty full lunch and a good sized afternoon snack. By dinner, I may or may not want to eat. That can really mess up my daily protein goal, so I focus on lunch and my afternoon snack and let the rest of the day work itself out.
  • curvy_gamer_loses
    curvy_gamer_loses Posts: 126 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    I eat 1200-1400 calories a day. So I tend to spread mine out like this:
    8am-9am: 350 cal breakfast (so...medium-ish? for me at least)
    11am-12pm: 250-300 cal lunch (light)
    3-5pm- 150 cal snack (light)
    6pm-7pm- 400-500 cal dinner. (heavy?) If I have any calories to "spend" I will have a small snack at night.
    If I eat a light breakfast (250 or less) I am usually STARVING an hour later and lunch won't fill me up. Then I will snack nonstop all night.
  • DeterminedFee201426
    DeterminedFee201426 Posts: 859 Member
    Options
    Hey all. I have decided to take a different approach to eating my calories today by eating a higher calorie breakfast, a medium calorie lunch, an even lower calorie dinner... Only because I feel that I skimp on my calories sometimes during the day and because of that, get extra hungry at night. This does not work with me, it works against me.

Out of curiosity, does anyone else do this? If not, when do you eat the bulk of your calories? Or do you spread them out evenly across the day? Or just eat as much as you feel that you need to, whenever you need to? And most importantly, why do you do this? Thank you!
    I normally have a small breakfast heavy lunch and light dinner
    all the other calories go to snacks thoughout the day or drinks.
  • vivmom2014
    vivmom2014 Posts: 1,647 Member
    Options
    Oh I would panic if I didn't have PLENTY of calories for night eating! That means very light breakfast and lunch.
  • Pinnacle_IAO
    Pinnacle_IAO Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    I am not sure meal timing matters for overall weight loss, but I have found that my meal schedule helps with fat loss while I maintain weight.

BREAKFAST: 12pm
    LUNCH: 3:30pm
    DINNER: 7pm

And in the mornings I always get in some cardio in a fasted state for fat loss. I was told this would not work, but since I began, my body fat dropped from 23% down to 15%.

We all hear differing opinions here, but I am willing to try different things. This produced results, so I just kept at it.

Best of luck to you! :)
  • HikeCyclist
    Options
    robspot wrote: »

No, that's what I meant. You can ask what you like, people will often ignore your question and answer something else. I was being sarcastic. Sorry :D

ahhhhh gotcha. Online discussion boards are just as bad as text. It's easy to take things out of context.