Why do people eat back their exercise calories?

Options

Replies

• mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    because me at 1200 calories makes the hulk look friendly and reasonable
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    Karmyeboo wrote: »
    I've never understood this, I've always worked out to burn calories in order to loose weigh.. It seems so obvious not to eat them back - what was the point in the first place?
    I'm assuming it's so people can eat more food?

Can someone shed some light on this, thanks!
    I assume people exercise soley to loose weight because that's what I AM doing and there is nothing wrong with this lol.
    Maybe this question should be directed to the people who are approaching weight loss like I am.

Thankyou

I log my food and watch my calorie intake to lose weight. I eat back a portion of my exercise calories.
    To fuel my body properly.
    To not be continually hungry when I don't have to be.
    To eat like a regular person and still lose weight.
    Exercise is more for my fitness level and stress management than weight loss. I can eat a bit more if I exercise but that is not really my main motivation to exercise.

• Childfree1991
    Childfree1991 Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    So I'm supposed to lift weights and not repair my muscle tissue after? The body needs nutrients especially post-activity. That's how I lost weight and became fit in the first place. protein after a workout
    It's pretty straightforward to eat protein after a workout -- leaving aside the efficacy of meal timing -- without eating back exercise calories, though.
    I do. It has done more good than bad. After resistance training I'll either eat canned tuna, cottage cheese, quinoa, canned sardines, a protein bar, or eggs.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    So I'm supposed to lift weights and not repair my muscle tissue after? The body needs nutrients especially post-activity. That's how I lost weight and became fit in the first place. protein after a workout
    It's pretty straightforward to eat protein after a workout -- leaving aside the efficacy of meal timing -- without eating back exercise calories, though.
    I do. It has done more good than bad. After resistance training I'll either eat canned tuna, cottage cheese, quinoa, canned sardines, a protein bar, or eggs.

You know that Protein timing is irrelevant, right?
  • robspot
    robspot Posts: 130 Member
    Options

I'm sure it's worked fine for you but every study on the subject says the optimum post workout nutrition is 2:1 in favour of carbs to protein. Protein is required for synthesis but carbs are more important to replenish glycogen stores and stop even further protein breakdown.
  • Childfree1991
    edited August 2015
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »

Tell that to the professional bodybuilders. But who cares. Its working for me.

• Childfree1991
    Options
    robspot wrote: »

I'm sure it's worked fine for you but every study on the subject says the optimum post workout nutrition is 2:1 in favour of carbs to protein. Protein is required for synthesis but carbs are more important to replenish glycogen stores and stop even further protein breakdown.
    I eat the carbs before workout for energy. Then again, quinoa has both protein and carbs (is on my post-workout list if you didn't pay attention lol).
  • SergeantSausage
    SergeantSausage Posts: 1,673 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options

For anyone who wanted to give smart *kitten* replies, you can remove yourself because <...>

Request denied.

We're still here.

• erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options

Talk about majoring in the minors. Nutrient timing may help, but 99.5% of your results will come from just meeting your intakes on a daily basis, the other 0.5% could be from timing. makes much more sense to focus on getting what you need.

for body builders, timing could be the difference in finishing first or second in a comp. Not worth the return on investment for the majority of people.

It is working for you as you meet your requirements, you would probably not notice any difference if you changed up when you ingest your protein.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    robspot wrote: »

Most people do not need this either, very few "regular" people deplete their glycogen stores during a workout.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options

If you like it...fine

But if you just hit your protein macro across the day you will get the same benefit
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    Everything @rabbitjb said.

I also handily have someone on my feed who is eating below 1200 a day, is working out and not eating their calories back. They are now using pre-workouts to mask the exhaustion just to get through training. And now they've disappeared for two days. This is a pretty good example of how not to do it, ignoring what your body is trying to tell you is bad news as is consistently undereating. I hope said person is okay and has just fallen off the wagon.

Would I lose faster if I didn't eat them back? Absolutely. Would my body look as good once I got closer to goal weight? Probably not. Would I be permanently hangry and possibly screw up my already on a knife edge mental health? Quite likely.

Plus, I like food. So I'm going to eat back some of those calories, I earned them!
  • IsaackGMOON
    IsaackGMOON Posts: 3,358 Member
    Options

I also handily have someone on my feed who is eating below 1200 a day, is working out and not eating their calories back. They are now using pre-workouts to mask the exhaustion just to get through training. And now they've disappeared for two days. This is a pretty good example of how not to do it, ignoring what your body is trying to tell you is bad news as is consistently undereating. I hope said person is okay and has just fallen off the wagon.

Would I lose faster if I didn't eat them back? Absolutely. Would my body look as good once I got closer to goal weight? Probably not. Would I be permanently hangry and possibly screw up my already on a knife edge mental health? Quite likely.

Plus, I like food. So I'm going to eat back some of those calories, I earned them!

You should really be up front and tell them that they're going to literally kill themselves... have you not tried?
  • robspot
    robspot Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    erickirb wrote: »
    Most people do not need this either, very few "regular" people deplete their glycogen stores during a workout.

I'm not "regular"!! I'm a latent athlete........can't you tell?
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options

You should really be up front and tell them that they're going to literally kill themselves... have you not tried?

I tried. My comments got a lot of "likes" but no-one else put their head over parapet and I was dismissed. They just say they have a goal, are cutting, reckon they are making gains and will eat when they hit their vacation target weight. But I sure did try.
  • IsaackGMOON
    IsaackGMOON Posts: 3,358 Member
    Options

I tried. My comments got a lot of "likes" but no-one else put their head over parapet and I was dismissed. They just say they have a goal, are cutting, reckon they are making gains and will eat when they hit their vacation target weight. But I sure did try.

Damn... it sure sucks to see someone put themselves through such circumstances...
  • SergeantSausage
    SergeantSausage Posts: 1,673 Member
    Options

Odds are they'll give up in frustration,"fall off the wagon" I think was called above, go on a hella binge, and end up heavier than before.

Literally killing one's self is vanishingly small on the probability of outcomes.

• stephbeland8
    stephbeland8 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I've never understood this, I've always worked out to burn calories in order to loose weigh.. It seems so obvious not to eat them back - what was the point in the first place?
    I'm assuming it's so people can eat more food?

Can someone shed some light on this, thanks!
    Because most people follow the MFP method on MFP which is designed to give you a defecit without exercise..so when you exercise you burn more calories and get to eat more

Because it is motivating to move more in order to expand your diet

Because we need to fuel our bodies appropriately for life and fitness

Because I don't want to burn through more LBM than necessary as I lose weight

Because food is delicious and it's not an exercise in deprivation

Because the wider the diet the less chance of crashing and burning

Because it sets you on a good path for maintenance

Because at the end of the day the one who achieves their goals and eats the most wins

Because I can

I sooooo agree :)
  • MsJulesRenee
    MsJulesRenee Posts: 1,180 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Because I get HANGRY if I don't eat them back. I am still losing weight at a comfortable pace, so why not?