Is anyone else doing CrossFit?

Options
I've started CrossFit and LOVE it! Just wondering who else out there loves it too and how is it working out for them.

Replies

• neoinean21
    Options
    Ok, one of my acquaintances has been going on about this on FB. What is it??
  • sopranogi
    sopranogi Posts: 5
    Options
    Excerpts from the Wikipedia definition:

CrossFit is strength and conditioning which combines weightlifting, sprinting, and gymnastics, powerlifting, kettlebell training, plyometrics, rowing, and medicine ball training.
    CrossFit athletes run, row, jump rope, climb rope and carry odd objects. They frequently move large loads quickly over short distances, and use powerlifting and Olympic weightlifting techniques. CrossFit athletes also use dumbbells, gymnastics rings, pull-up bars, kettlebells, and many bodyweight exercises.[
  • cng1117
    cng1117 Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    CrossFit is one of my goals, my brother in law has a crossfit gym, the crazy things they do. unfortunately im getting my butt handed to me by the JM 30 day shred, so i know i'm not ready for crossfit yet. @neo, it's a real creative, and intense, workout program. They use gymnastic rings, 24 inch boxes, body weight... here is a link. http://www.crossfit.com/cf-info/what-crossfit.html
  • kc_pig
    kc_pig Posts: 6
    Options
    I do crossfit and it'd be nice (yet difficult) to calculate total cal. burned during an exercise. There are a lot of crossfit gyms across the nation. The one I go to can be seen at crossfitls.com and you can see a lot of the exercises we do on there. The strength training is first followed by a 5 min. break into the WOD (or Workout of the Day). I guess I'll just add high intensity aerobics and the weight lifting to get close on this calculator for exercise? Seems close. The workouts are strength/conditioning combined where you're lifting, jumping, running usually as many rounds as possible in XX min. or do the workout 4-6 rounds for time. Keep track of time and 4 months later you'll revisit that same workout and look back to see if you've improved.

I made up 2 of those workouts I do at work during the week since I can't attend the times (work evenings). It's like circuit training to give you an idea. Really makes you sweat and leaves you gasping for air and sore.
  • sopranogi
    sopranogi Posts: 5
    Options
    I wear a heart rate monitor to calculate calories burned and then add them as a cardio exercise.
  • maddymama
    maddymama Posts: 1,183 Member
    Options
    I don't do CrossFit, but my sister-in-law does it and she loves it. I'm leery of it because two other friends joined, pushed too hard and were given crap instructions by the instructor for lifting heavy weights and did major damage (surgery to a shoulder for one, who is still in PT 6 months later, and knee injury/surgery to the other) to their bodies.
  • cheri0627
    cheri0627 Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    I do CrossFit and I absolutely love it.

You don't have to already be fit to do CrossFit. I highly modify my workouts, but that's a good thing. I'm still getting an amazing workout but I'm doing what I can do safely and still progressing. If you go to a CrossFit affiliate, your trainer should be able to help you modify to the level you need to be at. (Some examples of ways that workouts are modified: I use less weight than as prescribed, I do modified versions of pushups, some days I do less rounds or reps.)

I have so far had amazing results. I've lost 30 lbs, 6" off of my waist, 4" off of my hips in about 6 months. I started working with a dietitian at my affiliate as well, and that has helped. She has gotten me eating the right kinds of foods and understanding that I need to eat before and after workouts.

I strongly recommend CrossFit to anyone looking for a good workout. Yes, it's hard to count the calories from a workout most days because it's a good combination of strength and cardio (and for me even the strength is a good cardio workout!) but I personally am not overly worried about counting the calories I've exercised.
  • bigbish65
    bigbish65 Posts: 1
    Options
    I'm new to crossfit myself and I absolutely love love love it!!!
  • MrBrown72
    MrBrown72 Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    CrossFit

I approve.
  • kdiamond
    kdiamond Posts: 3,329 Member
    Options
    10 months strong! Love it!
  • AnnieP13
    AnnieP13 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I heart Crossfit :) Been doing it for 14 months and have lost lbs, inches and have gained strength, abs (hooray!) and a lot of self confidence :)
  • XFitMojoMom
    XFitMojoMom Posts: 3,255 Member
    Options
    13 months - complete addict.