What do you do when you've lost all motivation?

Options

Replies

• UltimateEscape
    UltimateEscape Posts: 95 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    shell1005 wrote: »
    NiqueKristan

You said, "I recently got into a relationship and we cook and bake together." Are you cooking and baking sweet treats? Do you know that sugar is the trigger food that leads lots of people down the road to losing self control. Would your BF love you if you didn't let him eat sweet treats in your house? It's kind of like a BF that smokes around you and your loved ones. Over 55,000 people every year die from second hand smoke. Are you willing to risk the chances of developing bad health to please another person? All good questions that only you can answer.

Oh god no. Nope. Nada. No.

@ shell1005.

It's a well known fact that sugar causes food related diseases if you consume too much. You should know what you're talking about before you run your mouth off.

"The American Heart Association (AHA) has recommended that Americans drastically cut back on added sugar to help slow the obesity and heart disease epidemics.

•The AHA suggests an added-sugar limit of no more than 100 calories per day (about 6 teaspoons or 24 grams of sugar) for most women and no more than 150 calories per day (about 9 teaspoons or 36 grams of sugar) for most men.

•There’s no nutritional need or benefit that comes from eating added sugar."

Source:

The Harvard School of Public Health
    http://www.hsph.harvard.edu/nutritionsource/carbohydrates/added-sugar-in-the-diet/

[edited by MFP Mods]
  • goldthistime
    goldthistime Posts: 3,214 Member
    Options
    "There's nothing wrong with baking sweet treats. It's not comparable to smoking!!"

while smoking is definitely "worse" here, the fact is that unless you can control portions, a tray of brownies will "disappear" - sometimes in one evening.
    I'm in agreement. It's easy for me to over consume sweets and I rarely if ever over consume meat/vegetables. Maybe fats the odd time (as in cheese or nuts). I find if I get my diet in order though (eat enough protein especially), my desire to overeat sweets subsides.

• UltimateEscape
    UltimateEscape Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    vivmom2014 wrote: »
    NiqueKristan

You said, "I recently got into a relationship and we cook and bake together." Are you cooking and baking sweet treats? Do you know that sugar is the trigger food that leads lots of people down the road to losing self control. Would your BF love you if you didn't let him eat sweet treats in your house? It's kind of like a BF that smokes around you and your loved ones. Over 55,000 people every year die from second hand smoke. Are you willing to risk the chances of developing bad health to please another person? All good questions that only you can answer.

There's nothing wrong with baking sweet treats. It's not comparable to smoking!!

It is proven that sugar leads to heart disease and other food related diseases in humans.

"America's Heart Disease Burden
    •About 610,000 people die of heart disease in the United States every year–that’s 1 in every 4 deaths.1
    •Heart disease is the leading cause of death for both men and women."

Source:

Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, CDC
    http://www.cdc.gov/HeartDisease/facts.htm

----

"The American Heart Association (AHA) has recommended that Americans drastically cut back on added sugar to help slow the obesity and heart disease epidemics.

Source:

The Harvard School of Public Health
    http://www.hsph.harvard.edu/nutritionsource/carbohydrates/added-sugar-in-the-diet/
  • booksandchocolate12
    booksandchocolate12 Posts: 1,741 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Motivation waxes and wanes for everyone, even for those who have made it to their goal weight and have maintained it for years. It doesn't necessarily mean a trip to the therapist is in order.

When motivation is at a low point, what gets us through is determination. I'm going through that myself now, just white-knuckling it til I get my mojo back.

Hang in there!
  • maggieeric1
    maggieeric1 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    OK no flames here you guys. Encourage the OP please.

I'd set MFP to maintain. Don't try to lose. Track every day. You already down 25 of the 50 if I read that right. Congrats. Half way there! Yay!

Stop beating on yourself. Stress is unhealthy. You don't have to work out to be healthy. Walking is good for you. With school and work you have enough stress in your life. Look for relaxing activities yoga. Walking dogs at the animal shelter....idk

If you love to cook and bake then do it!! Research recipes that fit the goal of maintenance. Find some swaps that taste just as good and go with Netflix. And enjoy!

When you are ready for a deficit then go for steady lifestlye fitting weight loss.
  • maggieeric1
    maggieeric1 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Celebrate the progress yove made so far. We all go up and down. (Er most of us have been there lost some gained some... It happens)
  • carliekitty
    carliekitty Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    I didn't want to workout today and i didn't need to cause it was my fourth workout already this week...but i did cause its now a habit. Seems to me like you made overeating a habit and habits are really hard to break. You have to do things you don't want to everyday like work and go to school, and pay bills. So suck it up and get moving!
  • BasicGreatGuy
    BasicGreatGuy Posts: 857 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Hi, all.
    Three years ago, I lost 50 pounds. I slowly but surely gained it all back.
    Since January of this year, I have lost 35 pounds.... Only to gain 10 back in the past couple of months.
    I know the whole "I've come too far to give up" etc but I have NO motivation. I just don't want to work out, I have work and school and I feel tired. I feel sad and I want to eat. I will buy frozen yogurt, candy and cookies for the weekend with Netflix and it'll be a good time.
    When I'm even feeling happy, I eat. I recently got into a relationship and we cook and bake together.
    I've had to talk to him and tell him he has to help me make better decisions. He can't say "hey, let's make cookies". He has to say "hey, let's cook some fish and veggies".
    The point I'm trying to make is that I've realized my situation, and I am trying to make changes but I feel like it's nearly impossible to resist my cookie/candy/frozen yogurt temptations. Now, I'll eat well in front of people but secretly eat poorly.
    When I'm bored, I eat. It feels exciting and irresistible.
    Also, It is horribly hard to force myself to work out.
    I don't want all this hard work to go to waste, and I'm not where I want to be. But I'm REALLY STRUGGLING. Please, please help.

Food has been your excuse. It has been your distraction. And it is up to you to address why that has been the case. You already know why.

It is time to free yourself from your own chains.

When you come to the realization that your current state of being, as well as the past is not really about food, you will find your inner spark (read: motivation) once again, and you won't feel like you are riding an endless merry-go-round.

• laur357
    laur357 Posts: 896 Member
    Options
    Since January of this year, I have lost 35 pounds.... Only to gain 10 back in the past couple of months.
    I know the whole "I've come too far to give up" etc but I have NO motivation. I just don't want to work out, I have work and school and I feel tired. I feel sad and I want to eat. I will buy frozen yogurt, candy and cookies for the weekend with Netflix and it'll be a good time.
    When I'm even feeling happy, I eat. I recently got into a relationship and we cook and bake together.

Having work and school and a new relationship can be exhausting and motivation or not, finding the willpower to create healthier habits is incredibly difficult when you're always tired and stressed out.
    It sounds like you may be someone who eats in response to stress (emotional/comfort eating). You may want to look into ways to correct that . . . Counseling, behavioral therapy, meditation, etc. Frequently feeling sad, lethargic, and unmotivated to do things you usually do can also be symptoms of depression -even if good things are happening in your life.

If it is just a case of apathy, try to revisit why you wanted to lose weight. See if you can find new reasons or goals.
  • umayster
    umayster Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    "There's nothing wrong with baking sweet treats. It's not comparable to smoking!!"

while smoking is definitely "worse" here, the fact is that unless you can control portions, a tray of brownies will "disappear" - sometimes in one evening.

Yes. So you work on controlling portions. You don't demonize the food.

+1

The science has demonized smoking and is in the process of demonizing simple carbs.

• umayster
    Options
    Hi, all.
    Three years ago, I lost 50 pounds. I slowly but surely gained it all back.
    I've had to talk to him and tell him he has to help me make better decisions. He can't say "hey, let's make cookies". He has to say "hey, let's cook some fish and veggies".
    The point I'm trying to make is that I've realized my situation, and I am trying to make changes but I feel like it's nearly impossible to resist my cookie/candy/frozen yogurt temptations. Now, I'll eat well in front of people but secretly eat poorly.
    When I'm bored, I eat. It feels exciting and irresistible.
    Also, It is horribly hard to force myself to work out.
    I don't want all this hard work to go to waste, and I'm not where I want to be. But I'm REALLY STRUGGLING. Please, please help.

Where are you going and how fit do you want to be when you get there?

Go to the basics - sleep, hydration, eliminate stress or address it. Break a behavior with a change. Be kind to yourself with your thoughts. Fill up on good foods first.
  • umayster
    Options
    umayster wrote: »

Yes. So you work on controlling portions. You don't demonize the food.

+1

The science has demonized smoking and is in the process of demonizing simple carbs.

OK then. And many of us prefer the common sense advice of incorporating foods into your diet in moderation and not demonizing total food groups. If sugars and carbs are addicted than I am just super human. Immune. No worries, I'll take the Super Friends powers. No probs.

I have a friend whose uses occasionally also, without addiction - thank your stars for that!
  • irenehb
    irenehb Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you aren't willing to make the commitment, at the moment.
    If you don't want to undo your current weight loss, maybe consider eating at maintenance for awhile. At least, you won't gain and hopefully the break will give you time to re-commit to your goals.
  • fiddletime
    fiddletime Posts: 1,862 Member
    Options
    I get from your post that you really want to stop derailing. When I derail and gain weight back I first start exercising. I do something easy, just to get my head back in the game. Then I start logging calories again. As one poster wrote, do you really want to exercise 7 hours for s plate of cookies?

Your good eating needs to become a habit. It will get easier once you cut back on the yummy junk food. But, we all know that not much can happen when you eat that stuff. I hope you can choose health over sweets. It seems hard now, but you'll be really glad you made that choice 25# from now, when you have energy and feel like you are back in control of your life.