Binge Eating

Options
My name is Bee, I've used mfp before and was able to lose 15lbs, which I've gained back 10 of those. I'm 26 and work shift work 12hr day&night shifts.
I read a blog on here recently about binge eating, I can say I fit into all the categories, everything. Eating in secret, uncontrollable eating and then feeling disgusted with myself, etc.
The blog post did have tips, I think my biggest step has been identifying I am a binge eater.
Anyone else have tips? Or has gone through this realization?
Thanks!

Replies

• FitPhillygirl
    FitPhillygirl Posts: 7,124 Member
    Options
    I have never gone through this. But as a nurse I can tell you there are groups that you could seek out that will help you overcome this eating disorder. That said, I know how hard it is working those types of hours and trying to fit good eating habits in with your schedule.
  • wendy75_512
    wendy75_512 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I struggle with binge eating as well. Feel free to add me.
  • vt0138
    vt0138 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hey Bee
    I have been in your shoes for a long time (but I am still constantly afraid of going back to those " dark" days), so I feel you.
    My experience is that I had those days when I was really stressed about other things. With time, I learned to manage time/work/stress better and that ended those "dark times" for me.
    I know everyone is busy, but try to incorporate some free/leisure time in your schedule and see if it helps. It helped me a lot just taking a step back from the daily grind. Right now, whenever I feel like I am getting stressed, I step back from everything and it helps.
    Know that you are not alone. Admitting to having this issue is a big step, so kudos to you! And good luck!
  • fishcat123
    fishcat123 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I don't know that it's exactly binge eating, but I'll get stressed and eat a whole lot in a short time occasionally. I find that logging everything helps a lot, because afterwards I have to sit at my computer and account for what I ate, which is not fun and the next time I feel like binging I'll remember it.

If you're not feeling in control of how you're eating or feeling emotionally, counseling could be a good idea, too.
  • nats822
    nats822 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Hey Bee.

I can totally identify.

I have just purchased lots of tupperware containers in different sizes. You should put your brekky/lunch/snacks packed in advance.
    It helps SOO much. Particularly snacks. The other day I went to have my snacks and got my snack container out the fridge and I was like "Oh SWEET" - I had already portioned vanilla yoghurt and 2 biscuits. Delicious!

Also. See my post on frozen meals. They are helping me heaps so far.

Goodluck :smile:
  • bpatriquin24
    bpatriquin24 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys, its good to know I'm not alone & I will take these tips & ideas and hopefully find some that work for me. New to this community thing as well.
    Thanks ~Bee
  • curiouschemist
    curiouschemist Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I actually am going through this realization right now. I just came off of a two week full out binge. I realized my problem was worse that I thought when I was happy my boyfriend wasn't home so I could eat whatever I wanted. I'm struggling with admitting this but I don't want to do this to myself anymore. I need to work on my relationship with food.
  • bpatriquin24
    bpatriquin24 Posts: 41 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    You're not alone curiouschemist there are days where I feel like I have no control. I also am working on my relationship with food
  • curiouschemist
    curiouschemist Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    You're not alone curiouschemist there are days where I feel like I have no control. I also am working on my relationship with food

It's nice to know I'm not alone. I am going to try to focus on if I am actually hungry or I just want to go through the motions of putting something in my mouth. Right now I'm craving something sweet but I just had dinner. I'm going to wait 45 minutes and re-evaluate instead of just acting on impulse right now. Even though I already have my sweet snack planned for and it will be decently healthy.. I don't need it if I'm not hungry.
  • MissElectricEyeliner
    MissElectricEyeliner Posts: 122 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    I've been a binge eater since I was a kid. I believe I found comfort in food when I couldn't find it in people. I feel like I've greatly improved my way of eating this year. I know I like to feel full so I eat a lot of protein, mainly chicken. I'm not a fan of veggies so I eat them in stir fry, which I love. If I cut out certain foods cold turkey it only causes me to cave in and binge uncontrollably. I've learned to work in the food I love into my calories for the day. It makes the cravings and urges not be so tense. I'm down 28.6lbs from my heaviest weight and have been keeping the weight off. :)

There's a support group on here for binging:
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/726-binge-eating-support-group
  • BIGBMF
    BIGBMF Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    A week or two ago I did 15 miles of walking and trained Brazilian jiu jitsu for an hour. Then I ate an entire pizza and a 2 liter of coke in 4 or 5 hours.