thigh fat?

Options
Hello guys how can you lose weight on the tops of your legs without turning it into muscle? Iv got quite muscular thighs just a bit of fat to which i want to burn off instead of turn it to more muscle so what would be the best exercise for burning leg fat? X

Replies

• DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,619 Member
    Options
    Calorie deficit, that is all you need.
  • XavierNusum
    XavierNusum Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    TWO pieces of bad news, sorry.

1) You cannot "turn" fat to muscle or vise versa.
    2) You cannot choose where to burn from from (i.e spot reduce)

What you CAN do is clean up your nutrition, eat at a calorie deficit and be patient and consistent.
  • sarahb247
    sarahb247 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    What's that stop eating?
  • XavierNusum
    XavierNusum Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    sarahb247 wrote: »
    What's that stop eating?

Ayyee..... NO DON'T DO THAT!

Eat less calories than your body uses. I'm assuming you know how many calories your eating now, since you use MFP, but I can't tell because yours is not open.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    What's that stop eating?

Of course not.

The point is, you can't pick and choose where to lose fat; your genetics determine that for you. I store fat on my upper thighs, as well. Exercising your thighs will not make them smaller in and of itself; it just doesn't work that way. A calorie deficit over time will reduce your body fat percentage which will eventually reduce the fat stored on your thighs (and everywhere else) and you will get smaller.

Muscle does not turn into fat or vice versa; they are two completely different things. It is very, very difficult to lose fat and build muscle at the same time. If you're eating less calories than your body burns each day and lifting weights you can lose fat but not gain muscle (except maybe a tiny bit at first, what we call "newbie gains") so you don't need to worry about leg exercises making your legs bigger; it won't happen. Leg exercises just won't make them smaller, either.

So... eat less calories than your body burns (MFP will figure that out for you), log your food, exercise for fitness, strength train to retain the muscle you already have (or you'll lose some in the weight loss process) and you will eventually see results.
  • sophomorelove
    sophomorelove Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    I'm in the same boat: my thighs looked big in proportion to the rest of my body even at the lower range of healthy BMI. They kind of protrude forward and the muscles only make this feature more prominent. I used to feel very insecure about it, but then I realized that I actually liked the way it looks on other people. Some things are just the way they are, so it's best to embrace them unless you're up for plastic surgery.
  • rrrca
    rrrca Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Hello guys how can you lose weight on the tops of your legs without turning it into muscle? Iv got quite muscular thighs just a bit of fat to which i want to burn off instead of turn it to more muscle so what would be the best exercise for burning leg fat? X

You have to reduce your bodyfat percentage to get rid of that extra fluff there. So, caloric deficit, and then some good training to keep from losing muscle.

You can do it!
  • sarahb247
    Options
    Ok cool so i dont need to focus on losing weigjt in one place as wont work lol stick to the calories that it says on here im allowed and a lot of cardio exercise?
    Thanks guys
  • dianahaynes925
    dianahaynes925 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Sprints
  • SueInAz
    Options
    Ok cool so i dont need to focus on losing weigjt in one place as wont work lol stick to the calories that it says on here im allowed and a lot of cardio exercise?
    Thanks guys

I'd actually suggest a combination of cardio and weights, focusing on weights. You'll lose more fat and keep more muscle.
  • AsISmile
    AsISmile Posts: 1,004 Member
    Options
    For people that are pear shaped and store fat in their thighs, you can also consider trying to increase muscle in your shoulders. That makes your body look more balanced.
  • SueInAz
    Options
    AsISmile wrote: »
    For people that are pear shaped and store fat in their thighs, you can also consider trying to increase muscle in your shoulders. That makes your body look more balanced.

That's what I've been doing. Of course, now some of my shirts don't fit very well..... :smile:
  • sarahb247
    Options
    SueInAz wrote: »

That's what I've been doing. Of course, now some of my shirts don't fit very well..... :smile:
    SueInAz wrote: »

Im an hour glass figure
  • sarahb247
    Options
    So all over workout with mix of cardio and weights
  • gottabethin22
    gottabethin22 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I have the same thing going on. I walk and ride a bike to shed sweats. I try to burn more calories than I take each day. Not a special diet though.