Pear shape...any advice on how to trim the "muffin-top"?

Options
Hello lovelies!

I'm posting this as I am (as the title suggests) a typical pear shaped female. I have a small upper body and waist but my hips, thighs and bum are big in relation to the rest of my figure.

I enjoy doing a lot of exercise, and on a typical week I probably exercise 5 days out of 7. I know there is no such thing as spot reduction and the only thing I can really do is blast cardio to burn calories and do strength on my upper body to even out my proportions....BUT....

I was wondering if any other fellow pear shaped ladies or fitness / nutrition fanatics had any advice on how I can trim my thighs and "muffin-top" area a.k.a love handles :P

I currently don't do any ab work (mainly because my stomach is quite flat so I'm just being lazy!) but would love to get it more toned and trim as well. Any suggestions on what has worked for you guys??

Much :heart:
Kim x

Replies

• ooladybuggoo
    Options
    Cut back on sugar or use a substitute (equal or splenda).
  • raychybabe
    raychybabe Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    I am a pear! I have an 8-10 top (32C-although drastically reducing with exercise!), and a 10 bottom (with quite wide hips and a rather curvy booty). At one point I had 41 inch hips. It's so annoying, as jeans are always baggy around the back. I try and do situps or work hard during the abs bit in classes but I realise that you can't target a specific bit.

I guess is just keep at it until it goes!
  • ChristinaRamos
    Options
    Do long periods of the elliptical, or increase the incline on the treadmill. Do squats and lunges everyday
  • mirandamatte
    mirandamatte Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    In order to get rid of the love handles you need to work abs.
  • Foxerlina
    Foxerlina Posts: 51
    Options
    Yes, I definitely need to get some ab work in somewhere....the question is...WHAT? There are soooo many exercises and I just get confused as to which ones are going to actually be beneficial. I guess some ab work is better than none though :)
  • JDMPWR
    JDMPWR Posts: 1,863 Member
    Options
    CARDIO CARDIO CARDIO
  • JDMPWR
    JDMPWR Posts: 1,863 Member
    Options

Wrong. ab workouts do not cause you to lose fat and love handles are fat.
  • DizzieLittleLifter
    DizzieLittleLifter Posts: 1,020 Member
    Options
    Yes, I definitely need to get some ab work in somewhere....the question is...WHAT? There are soooo many exercises and I just get confused as to which ones are going to actually be beneficial. I guess some ab work is better than none though :)

Here are a few that focus on the said area of the back and stomach.

1. Lie on the ground on your stomach lift both your legs and both your arms almost bending backward (but not father than you are able or comfortable!)
    2. Lie on your back feet up legs bent at 90 then twist your knees to one side or the other and do a crunch toward the opposite side (toward your feet)
    3.sit back on your tail-bone so that your core is engaged and clasp your hands together (either with a weight or without) twist from side to side touching the ground near your bottom. You can slow it down and stop in the middle or do it straight trough in one movement or combine :wink:
    4. Stand in a sumo squat, with your hands by your shoulders bend to the side and touch your elbow to your knees.

You will want to do many reps or you can do each for a set time (say 1 min). I like to add cardio in between sets (like mtn. climbers, and burpees because they target the abs). HTH some :smile:
  • mirandamatte
    mirandamatte Posts: 130 Member
    Options

Wrong. ab workouts do not cause you to lose fat and love handles are fat.

Am I not correct in the thinking that when you work your abs you are bulding muscle and muscle can burn fat?