Fitbit vs Other Brand

Options
I have been looking in to them. Are they worth it? Which one is the best? Is there another brand that you like better? I have a cheap pedometer and I walk a lot a work. My last shift I walked 6 miles.

Replies

• editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    Fitbits calculate your TDEE (total daily energy expenditure) and sync with MFP. Fitbit challenges are great motivation—and fun.

You can learn more in the Fitbit Users group: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/1290-fitbit-users
  • JillianRN527
    JillianRN527 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Which one do you have?
  • theawill519
    theawill519 Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    I have the FitBit Charge and I love it.

There are tons of comparison and review vids on YouTube. Try watching some of those- they may help you make up your mind :)
  • editorgrrl
    Options
    I uograded from Fitbit Flex to Charge HR because it has a real buckle, rather than a clasp. And it has a heart rate monitor.

Which one you choose is entirely a matter of personal preference: https://www.fitbit.com/compare
  • JillianRN527
    Options
    I saw the chart already. Do you have to wear it tight for your HR to pick up?
  • JeepinJenni
    JeepinJenni Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I have a fitbit hr and I love it!! Great motivation and it tracks sleep and calories burned!
  • editorgrrl
    Options
    Do you have to wear it tight for your HR to pick up?

http://help.fitbit.com/articles/en_US/Help_article/Heart-rate-FAQs
    Do not wear your tracker too tight; a tight band restricts blood flow, potentially affecting the heart rate signal. That being said, the tracker should also be slightly tighter (snug but not constricting) during exercise than during all-day wear.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    Are they worth it?

Personally I don't see a compelling reason for them, but it does depend on what motivates you and, your lifestyle is like and hat other activities you do.

On days that I cycle commute, or cycle, my tracker doesn't reflect that, and I'm not going to just go out and make the step count just to make up for that. Equally, days that I run I'll easily break the steps goal for the day. On long run days that might be three or four times over goal.
    Which one is the best? Is there another brand that you like better?

Fitbit has greatest market penetration and brand recognition, but in practice there is lttle to disinguish the various products. Personally I use a Garmin, but I also use Garmin for running and cycling so I get benefit from having the wider systems. Garmin is also far superior around exercise tracking sophistication. Polar is also good, and their HR moitoring devices are probably the best, although that comes with the health warning that HR is a bit of a meaningless metric at low intensities. Activity trackers with HR monitoring are a waste of time.

Personally I'd prioritise Garmin > Polar > Fitbit, but my priorities are around performance improvement, not just simple step counting.
  • JillianRN527
    Options
    Thanks everyone!
  • Slainte831
    Slainte831 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I have the Garmin Vivoactive. It syncs on MFP. I like it because when I go to exercise, I can indicate I am running, swimming, or biking, and because it has GPS it is pretty accurate with distance and calories. It is waterproof to 50m, so if you swim you might want to consider a model like this. I also don't worry about it in the shower or when I'm doing dishes.

It doesn't work too well on the elliptical though, if that is a piece of equipment you use regularly. I'm not sure which trackers are good for that.

I found a good price online and Best Buy matched it when I bought mine.
  • cat_lady77
    cat_lady77 Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    I didn't like the original Fitbit because it has no display. Tried the Samsung Gear Fit & it was too involved & the HRM didn't work well. Finally got the Garmin Vivosmart & I really like it! It has a simple display but it's still touchscreen & waterproof. It also sends you alerts from calls & texts, which is great at work. I assume the pedometer is accurate because I know I don't walk around much at work & struggle to hit the goal.
    The one I got came with a heart rate monitor (the chest strap kind) for like $20 extra but I have not used it yet. I've heard that kind is more accurate than the wrist ones anyway.
  • cmt12345
    cmt12345 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I have a Striiv Band - cheaper and simpler than the Fitbit, but still works great!

http://www.striiv.com/striivband/
  • Rob7979
    Rob7979 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Also a Garmin Vivosmart owner. Had it now for about 2 months and so far so good. It's comfortable to wear and has replaced the watch I used to wear. I like the alerts/texts/etc. vibrate right to your wrist reminds me to get up and move! The pedometer is fairly accurate. Came in handy on a long hike I did with a group back in June. The vivosmart works good with mfp and MapMy... apps. The sleep monitoring is interesting. Has me working on getting better sleep and focusing on that which has helped.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    I'm hoping to get the vivosmart in a few months. I like having a visible display and the waterproofedness
  • SeanNJ
    SeanNJ Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    Never had much luck with pedometer-type devices. I have a Polar FT60 that I use during cardio, and pretty much ignore the rest of my daily activity.
  • lamurano
    lamurano Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I also have a VivoSmart. I've had it since Xmas and I'm still learning new things on it! Its kind of like a smartwatch but also an activity tracker. I use it when I can't find my phone, or to switch songs when I'm in the shower. Lol I also like the alarms option, and as someone else mentioned, it tracks distance for you.
  • autumnblade75
    autumnblade75 Posts: 1,661 Member
    Options
    I'm enjoying my Fitbit Charge HR. The heart rate monitor seems pretty accurate to me, despite being a wrist system. My treadmill came with a chest strap, and I thought it was going to be great - but I can only see the data from that in real-time, and the Fitbit saves my data. I can't compare heart rate to speed, directly, like I could when my Garmin HRM with chest strap was working, but I think that's because of the apps I'm using, not the fault of the data collection. I must sweat more now than I did then, too - the chest strap for the treadmill seems to drown before mile 2, and stops sending data to the treadmill. My wrist seems to retain far less water than my chest area, and I haven't had an issue with drowning the Fitbit, yet.
  • lemmie177
    lemmie177 Posts: 479 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    My dad has a Fitbit Charge HR and other than being a little dissatified with battery life, he loves it. He's a data junkie. The benefits of continuous HR monitoring are lost on me.

I used to have a Fitbit One and liked it. I put it through the wash, though, and it died. :( Since I can't have nice things, I bought a Xiaomi Mi Band for $15, which I've found to be functionally equivalent to the Fitbit One, great step and sleep tracking. It has to be accessed via mobile app (no desktop site and no screen) on either iphone or android. It lacks the social aspects of the Fitbit, which imo is where Fitbit has its competitors beat.

Best thing about the Mi Band is that its cheap. It's bands are cheap, its chargers are cheap. I bought wrist bands in all different colors to accessorize because I'm a dork. If you're on android, you can even have it light up/vibrate for different phone notifications. It's supposed to be waterproof, so I can stupidly wash it; and even if it's not, I'll get another one for $15.