Carbs/Fat grams

Options
Hi everyone!

My doctor recommended that I consume between 25-50 grams of carbs, and no more than 40 fat grams per day, but I'm having trouble staying within those limits. I always go 5-10 grams over on my carbs and 10+ over on my fat grams, and I still can't make it to my 1,200 calorie limit-I usually get to about 900 calories by the end of the night. :-/
Any suggestions on what foods to eat/avoid that are low in both carbs and fat would be greatly appreciated!

Replies

• bringon30
    bringon30 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Lean meats and eggs will help keep you under what your doc recommended. I'm confused about why your doc wants you low carb AND low fat, though. Usually, a low-carb diet means upping your fats.
  • SunnyPacheco
    SunnyPacheco Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    To make 1200 calories on 50g of carbs and 40g of fat per day you'd have to eat 160g of protein which would mean lots and lots and lots of chicken breast, fish, lean meats, and egg whites. Ouch. I don't think you can feasibly do low carb AND low fat. Was there a medical reason for doing both?
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Low carbs and low protein? Did she/he explain?
  • IsaackGMOON
    IsaackGMOON Posts: 3,358 Member
    Options
    And why would you take nutritional advice from a doctor?...
  • angelamck13
    angelamck13 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    What is the recommended daily intake of carbs fat and protein on a 1000 calories per day?
  • lodro
    lodro Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    it depends. recommended by who exactly?
  • angeey8
    angeey8 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Nutritionist, sorry. I see a lab coat and I call them all doctors. I didn't ask what the reason was behind that, I just kinda trusted her, I guess. I'll definitely ask next week when I go see her, though I've kinda got it figured out, if I have a couple of protein shakes a day.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    Generally, when someone eats very low carb (25-50g per day) they increase their fat uptake, often up to 75% which should be almost double that 40g she instructed you to do. That would leave you with a very high protein diet, which is often not needed.

I would question if the nutritionist actually wants your fat kept low.... I would find your diet hard too; I eat about 25g of carbs per day but my fat is usually over 100g.
  • mantium999
    mantium999 Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    My only advice is to question why, regardless of what macro numbers they suggest. It is your responsibility to understand.