Strength training vs toning

Options
whats the main difference between strength training and toning? Is it just the lbs of your weights?

For example if I do squats - is it only strength training if I squat with extra weights?

And when I do bicep curls using 5 lbs weights on each arm, that isn't strength training right? What's the point of doing toning or strength training while eating at a calorie deficit? I keep reading that you can't build muscles at a deficit in this forum

Silly questions but appreciate insights. :)

Replies

• arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Toning is not a thing. Just get it out of your mind. Your muscles have tone but you cannot change the tone of your muscles.

You can A) Eat at a deficit to lose fat and reveal muscle while saving as much muscle as possible by strength training. or b) Eat at a surplus to gain muscle and fat.

The point of strength training in a deficit is to save LBM so you will have a better body composition once you get to goal.
  • enkiemonkey
    enkiemonkey Posts: 82 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Ah this is helpful thank you
  • HankD50
    HankD50 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »
    Toning is not a thing. Just get it out of your mind. Your muscles have tone but you cannot change the tone of your muscles.

You can A) Eat at a deficit to lose fat and reveal muscle while saving as much muscle as possible by strength training. or b) Eat at a surplus to gain muscle and fat.

The point of strength training in a deficit is to save LBM so you will have a better body composition once you get to goal.

Couldn't have said it any better.
  • arditarose
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Ah this is helpful. So my follow on question is - should I even be doing weight stuff like bicep curls, sit ups and squats while eating at a calorie deficit?

Or should I just focus all on cardio now?

You should be strength training NOW. That's the point right? When you are losing fat you lose muscle as well, if you strength train you save it.

That being said, you should be doing a full body work out, not "stuff like bicep curls and sit ups". Either do a body weight program like the one found on www.nerfitness.com, Convict Conditioning, You Are Your Own Gym or a heavy weight training program like New Rules of Lifting for Women, Strong Lifts 5x5.

If you look at my profile pictures, that was the result of strength training in a deficit. And I didn't do a single sit up.

Sorry I have so many edits because I'm tired and not typing well.
  • arditarose
    Options
    lol you deleted your follow up question
  • enkiemonkey
    Options
    Haha yeah because I realized that you had already answered my question :).
  • arditarose
    Options
    Haha yeah because I realized that you had already answered my question :).

Kind of. Except for the bicep curling stuff. Look at some of the programs I mentioned. Not even much bicep curling going and sit ups going on. Focus on compound exercises when you're in a deficit.
  • enkiemonkey
    Options
    Thank you this is helpful
  • arditarose
    Options
    Thank you this is helpful

Awesome. Have fun. Post more if you have any other questions.
  • OldAssDude
    OldAssDude Posts: 1,436 Member
    Options
    whats the main difference between strength training and toning? Is it just the lbs of your weights?

For example if I do squats - is it only strength training if I squat with extra weights?

And when I do bicep curls using 5 lbs weights on each arm, that isn't strength training right? What's the point of doing toning or strength training while eating at a calorie deficit? I keep reading that you can't build muscles at a deficit in this forum

Silly questions but appreciate insights. :)

I think you're talking about strength training (more weight fewer reps) as apposed to endurance training (less weight more reps).
  • enkiemonkey
    Options
    Ah interesting. What goals do endurance training achieve? I get the sense thAt it does not build muscle mass so then what does it actually do for you?
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    I think in general when people use the word "toning", they want some shape or definition to their arms, abs, etc, usually coupled with the disclaimer that they don't want to "bulk up". It's basically a matter of losing the fat that's covering the muscle we already have, and as others have already mentioned, but best way to do that is with the strength training while eating at a small deficit.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Ah interesting. What goals do endurance training achieve? I get the sense thAt it does not build muscle mass so then what does it actually do for you?

They can do the same thing for longer...that's it

Listen to @arditarose ...she has given great advice
  • Merkavar
    Merkavar Posts: 3,082 Member
    Options
    Going to sound sexist but toning always seemed like something girls did while guys did strength training.

Like guys goals were big bulky muscles while girls were after lean muscles.

But it was probably along the same lines as guys sweeting and girls glistening or perspiring. Same thing just a different name for marketing purposes.
  • Sued0nim
    Options
    Merkavar wrote: »
    Going to sound sexist but toning always seemed like something girls did while guys did strength training.

Like guys goals were big bulky muscles while girls were after lean muscles.

But it was probably along the same lines as guys sweeting and girls glistening or perspiring. Same thing just a different name for marketing purposes.

That's why the word was created by the media / marketing industry ..pathetic isn't it?
  • zebrablueyes
    zebrablueyes Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I have been confused asking this for months. I'm doing calorie deficit with water aerobics. I have lost 7 pounds. My wedding is in 3 months and I'm most concerned with my ARMS. I was told to not use light dumbells because this will add muscle to my fat on my arms. How is it possible to keep losing weight and try to eliminate fat on arms? I know weight spotting can't happen, but how can I make my arms go down in size? Is it only through calorie deficit?
  • Sued0nim
    Options
    I have been confused asking this for months. I'm doing calorie deficit with water aerobics. I have lost 7 pounds. My wedding is in 3 months and I'm most concerned with my ARMS. I was told to not use light dumbells because this will add muscle to my fat on my arms. How is it possible to keep losing weight and try to eliminate fat on arms? I know weight spotting can't happen, but how can I make my arms go down in size? Is it only through calorie deficit?

What idiot told you to not use weights?

Calorie defecit and heavy weight lifting but you can't spot reduce and there is no guarantee that 3 months will be long enough for a difference

• zebrablueyes
    zebrablueyes Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I can't lift a lot per my doctors orders. That's why I asked about 2-3 dumbells. High reps low weights? Will this help lose fat?
  • Sued0nim
    Options
    I can't lift a lot per my doctors orders. That's why I asked about 2-3 dumbells. High reps low weights? Will this help lose fat?

Nope not really it will just help your endurance

Focus on your calorie control
  • arditarose
    edited August 2015
    Options

Not really. Keep up your calorie deficit and your swimming. Your arms will get a bit smaller as you lose the fat. The real magic happens with heavy weights unfortunately. Although, body weight exercises are great too. Are you able to do that kind of work?