Just joined a gym, could use some help with a routine.

Options
I just joined a gym. I understand enough to jump on a cardio machine, or join a class, but am completely lost on the weight machines. Using a personal trainer is not an option for me at this time. Does anyone know of a straightforward, easy to understand guide for someone just begining weight training?

I'm not sure if it matters, but I prefer to use the weight machines over free weights. I am interested in toning up (I am terrified of excess skin, so am trying to head that off) vs bulking up. I do have a knee injury, so I need things that are low impact. And I am a beginner at this.

Thanks. <3

Replies

• 530royalty
    530royalty Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    If you have an instagram find the page Howtoshedfat it has short videos of workouts with and without weights
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Free weights are vastly superior to machines

But you sure the staff at your gym can't show you how to safely use the machines for free? That's standard

Also they tend to have diagrams on them

If you have a knee injury you need clearance from medical people I would assume
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,209 Member
    Options
    Go with freeweights. After the initial groaning, you will eventually like it. :D

A good program for your age bracket is New Rules of Lifting for Life. :+1:

After getting approval from your doctor, of course.

• AsISmile
    AsISmile Posts: 1,004 Member
    Options
    Free weights does not equal bulking up.

Anyway, there should be instructors on the gym floor who can help you figure out how machines work.
    Furthermore, most gyms offer free starter training programs that tell you which machines and how many sets and reps.
    Just go and ask at the gym. That's what the instructors are there for.
  • EbonyGemstoneHealth
    EbonyGemstoneHealth Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    I would have suggested freeweights as an option as they give you more freedom of movement/motion in comparison to machine weights which are static ( it also depends on the variety of machines you have in the gym). I like to follow Desigfit4free on instagram as she is so creative with weight machines and has managed to get multi use out of them. Hope this helps! :)
  • loki9689
    loki9689 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Free weights are the way to go. They make use of the stabalizer muscles you will not hit on a machine. They are intimidating but in the longer run much better to use.
    Start with a simple regiment of exercises; goblet sqauts, calf raises, dumb bell deadlifts, curls, dumb bell chest press, DB flys, lat raises, shoulder presses, etc. keep the weights light until your muscles are familair with the movements then increase weight and you will tone faster.

Bulking will not happen unless you eat for it. You can hit the gym with the heaviest weights possible but if you dont get the calories in you wont bulk.

Hope you find this useful and enjoy your fitness journey.
  • rocket03
    rocket03 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    You could follow something like stonglifts 5×5 or have a look on bodybuilding.com under find a plan. It will ask what you are looking for lose fat transform or bulk. They are easy to follow and also have videos on how to perform the exercise
  • cheshirecatastrophe
    cheshirecatastrophe Posts: 1,395 Member
    Options
    Yes, an orientation with someone who works at the gym should be standard with new membership!

Free weights do have advantages over weight machines. BUT. The best type of strength training is the kind you'll actually do! So if you really feel more comfortable on machines, especially with a preexisting knee injury, go for it.

One thing to stay away from, though--especially with a problem knee--is the leg extension machine (for quads). That specific motion forces your leg/knee into a position that can be painful for a lot of people.