One bad deadlift rep!!!

Options
okay guys, I could really use your knowledge on this one. So about 10 days ago I was deadlifting. Usually I can go up to 455 for my last set for one. Having a great workout I went for 455 twice, thus allowing my form to cripple. I felt it immediately, my back tightened up. Since then I've neglected the pain and just used a belt for heavy squats. It delt with my pain, but today, 10 days after the event, my lower back feels like sharp pains. I really could use some good advice from people who experienced this themselves or anyone who has intelligence with this. Thank you!!

Replies

• WeaponXI
    WeaponXI Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    If you're experiencing pain, especially 10 days after deadlifting, you should see your doctornto assess the injury.
  • SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member
    Options
    bed rest , ice and ibuprofen. don't rush it, you might have to do some months of rehab depending on the severity.
  • foursirius
    foursirius Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    I did a very similar thing and was feeling off for a good 6 weeks before I was able to push anywhere close to my training max. A strained back is a *kitten* of an injury to recover from.
  • XavierNusum
    XavierNusum Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    Doctor!
  • sduenas4
    sduenas4 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Hey I did the exact same thing went to heavy and came back up with bad form and pulled my back to the point I couldn't even walk. Tried stretching it right after it happen and I was in great amount of pain. I was out for a week of working out but I did yoga for back pain for that week and put icy hot and massaged myself. I healed 100% and I haven't had lower back pain problems since and still go heavy on deadlifts. Hope this helped at all for you.
  • AsISmile
    AsISmile Posts: 1,004 Member
    Options
    Doctor and rest.
    Your back is not something you want to mess up.
  • brian_m22
    brian_m22 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    This may throw a curveball at some of your responses, and they were all very helpful, but while sore from deadlifting and knowing I allowed my back to use improper form, last week and this week I was steining my deck which required me to be in uncomfortable postions often on my knees bending over. Every time I would get up, my lower back felt very tight. Could this mean my lower back muscles could have been stretched too much from working out, and just worsened from painting? Thank you everyone again!
  • cheshirecatastrophe
    cheshirecatastrophe Posts: 1,395 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    brian_m22 wrote: »
    This may throw a curveball at some of your responses, and they were all very helpful, but while sore from deadlifting and knowing I allowed my back to use improper form, last week and this week I was steining my deck which required me to be in uncomfortable postions often on my knees bending over. Every time I would get up, my lower back felt very tight. Could this mean my lower back muscles could have been stretched too much from working out, and just worsened from painting? Thank you everyone again!

Your back was in pain, and you did things to make it MORE in pain.

I'm not sure how that changes "go to the doctor and find out what's actually wrong and how to rehab it." Especially because doing the OPPOSITE of everyone's advice--they said rest, you didn't--made the problem worse...
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    brian_m22 wrote: »

it could mean you need to get to the doctor and stop doing things that strain your back- like working on your deck.
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options
    Silly OP
  • msf74
    msf74 Posts: 3,498 Member
    Options
    Have you tried the usual things - rest, anti-inflammatory medicine, ice, light cardio & movement?

I would budget at least 4 weeks if it is sprain. I think given you seem to have aggravated the initial injury due to the deck staining (dude, seriously...) the a trip to your doctor is probably a wise move.
  • iplayoutside19
    iplayoutside19 Posts: 2,304 Member
    Options
    If this were a random joint I would say take some sort of anti-inflammatory or pain killer, let it rest and wait a few weeks. However, not sure your back is something you want to jack around with. Go to a Doctor before you end up with something major.
  • piperdown44
    piperdown44 Posts: 958 Member
    Options
    Talk to your Dr., who is hopefully into sports medicine.

I will say I did something similar a couple weeks ago. Pulled a DL twice when it probably should only have been 1 rep. Then proceeded to build rafters that weekend on a platform only 18 inches high, so I was bent over the whole time. Lower back felt like crap. Took two weeks off from DL and switched leg press for squats during that time. Lots of ice, Advil and walking.
    Back is much better.

Still, though, you should talk to a Dr. about it.