Loose skin

Options
Angiepeg
Angiepeg Posts: 16 Member
i am almost 61 years old and I have a lot of weight to lose - around 140lbs or so. What on earth will my skin do? Has anyone experienced this kind of weight loss at my age?

Replies

• neaneacc
    neaneacc Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    I can tell you what I know from going from 230 lbs to about 150 lbs.
    1) drink a lot of water....hydration helps with nearly all bodily functions and will help skin to repair itself
    2) lose weight gradually....aim for about 1 pound or less a week. It will seem like slow progress, but your skin will thank you as it will have the time necessary to repair itself
    3) Use lotion like it is your best friend. Skin needs care just like any other part of your body. Additionally get a shower bush with bristles to massage your skin. It seems like nonsense, but it improves circulation to aid in skin repair
    4) Lift weights...as this will help you to keep or add muscle mass. This doesn't seem important, but you will notice the difference after only a few weeks of adding weights to your current routine. If you don't you may look a bit like a deflated balloon once you've lost a good amount of weight (20 to 30 lbs)
    5) Get enough sleep. Try to get 8 hours of rest to allow your body to repair itself.
    I hope that any and all of this is helpful.
    Renee
  • keana55
    keana55 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I'm 66 and lost 86 pounds over two years time. I still have another 15-20 to go. I wish I could say that I have no loose skin but I do. It's mostly in the tummy area, upper arms and thighs. BUT I look 100% better in clothes with the weight loss and lost two double chins! I will gladly put up with the loose skin in exchange for how much better I feel and look--but my bikini days are over!

I had a broken leg with complications for two years of my weightloss journey so most of the weightloss was from calorie restriction. If you exericise your experience should be much better. Neaneacc's advise is excellent.
  • caroldavison332
    caroldavison332 Posts: 864 Member
    Options
    I making a point of eating for life to encourage any skin repair as I loose fat.
  • leggup
    leggup Posts: 2,942 Member
    Options
    I'm 27 and with 72 lbs of weight loss, I have loose skin (and I lost pretty gradually- 1.5 years). Womp womp.
  • CarlydogsMom
    CarlydogsMom Posts: 645 Member
    Options
    neaneacc wrote: »
    1) drink a lot of water....hydration helps with nearly all bodily functions and will help skin to repair itself
    2) lose weight gradually....aim for about 1 pound or less a week. It will seem like slow progress, but your skin will thank you as it will have the time necessary to repair itself
    3) Use lotion like it is your best friend. Skin needs care just like any other part of your body. Additionally get a shower bush with bristles to massage your skin. It seems like nonsense, but it improves circulation to aid in skin repair
    4) Lift weights...as this will help you to keep or add muscle mass. This doesn't seem important, but you will notice the difference after only a few weeks of adding weights to your current routine. If you don't you may look a bit like a deflated balloon once you've lost a good amount of weight (20 to 30 lbs)
    5) Get enough sleep. Try to get 8 hours of rest to allow your body to repair itself.
    Renee

All good advice, but see the bolded. I was very close to your range (started at 220, lost to about 145), and didn't lift weights (mostly did some form of cardio, plus mountain biking which helped a BIT with retaining muscles), and I just became a smaller version of the heavier me. If you lift weights--and I'm talking a progressively heavier free-weight program--you will boost your chances tremendously that most of the weight you will drop will be fat, not muscle/fat. I estimate that of the 75 pounds I lost, I probably lost 40-45 of fat and 30-35 pounds of muscle because I did NOT include lifting weights.

Plus, by retaining most of your muscle, you will become more defined rather than just a looser shell of what you look like now. Lift lift lift....

You may not lose the pounds as quickly as if you just did some form of cardio, but I think you'll be much happier in the long run if loose skin is a worry for you.

Repeat: by "lifting," I mean weights---heavy weights, with progressively heavier weights as you go. Read Starting Strength (Rippetoe), look into programs like New Rules of Lifting for Women, Starting Strength, StrongLifts, etc. There are tons of threads on the Fitness/Exercise forums on how to get started, and look into groups like Eat, Train, Progress, and Stronglifts 5x5 for Women on here.
  • Angiepeg
    Angiepeg Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    :smiley: thanks so much - I appreciate the advice
  • lknockstead
    lknockstead Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I don't think it really matters how old you are. All bodies are different. I am 26 years old and I lost 122 pounds and I have saggy, loose skin everywhere! I was only really heavy for about 3-4 years too, so it wasn't a long period of time. MYy skin just doesn't snap back like some people's do and I am still young. One day, I plan on having skin removal surgery.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    neaneacc wrote: »
    Renee
    great advice

• corgicake
    corgicake Posts: 846 Member
    Options
    I'm in my mid-twenties and have overhang at my waist, over my belly button, above the knees enough to literally grab a handful of. I look like nobody's television ad and other people can choose to get over this or not, don't bother me none. Everyone sags when they get old anyway.
  • yogaannlifting
    yogaannlifting Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I'm 46 I lost a 100 pounds. Nutrition is number one lots of fruits ,veggies and high quality protein.Good skin care is a must do . I Dont have a lot of loose skin . I lift weights as well
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    plus if you get a qualified trainer who teaches you safe lifting it will do wonders for your bones and protect you down the future should you fall
  • fishnc13
    fishnc13 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Lift weights, stay hydrated, and take your fish oil pills.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!