1200 Calories a day!

Replies

• 1200 is mine also. It's actually quite doable as long as you learn to make every calorie count. Also if you exercise you can end up eating more. Just make sure you are getting all the nutrition you need, otherwise it could be unhealthy.
  • weemsdm
    weemsdm Posts: 12 Member
    bb1lopez wrote: »
    Does anyone know what my total daily cals should be to lose weight? I am female and currently weigh 188.8kg/ 261lbs. My height is about 1.68-1.70/5ft6-7. The suggested calorie intake was about 1200 cals.
    Feel free to add me.

• mommyvudu
    mommyvudu Posts: 99 Member
    1200 calories is all you eat if you don't work out. Try 10 to 15 minute workout videos or something to burn more calories!
    Don't eat empty calories. I know people say cals in vs cals out is all that matters but you will feel so much better mentally and physically if you eat nutritious foods.
    I'm sure plenty of you know this but for anyone struggling with the 1200, I'm doing 1200 also and it hasn't been hard for me...as someone who loves to eat!
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    mommydie wrote: »
    1200 calories is all you eat if you don't work out. Try 10 to 15 minute workout videos or something to burn more calories!
    Don't eat empty calories. I know people say cals in vs cals out is all that matters but you will feel so much better mentally and physically if you eat nutritious foods.
    I'm sure plenty of you know this but for anyone struggling with the 1200, I'm doing 1200 also and it hasn't been hard for me...as someone who loves to eat!

People say that all that matters for weight loss is CICO, but for nutrition you need a more balanced diet.

Let's not misinterpret what people actually say.
  • brandi712
    brandi712 Posts: 407 Member
    I'm at 1250. But I'm only 5' (well maybe just a hair shy) and I only have 5-7 lbs left to lose.
  • mommyvudu
    RGv2 wrote: »

People say that all that matters for weight loss is CICO, but for nutrition you need a more balanced diet.

I'm definitely not misinterpreting what SOME people say. I have ready plenty of statements in these forums from people who said exactly what I wrote and meant to say. I realize not EVERYONE uses their calories on pizza and cookies.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    edited August 2015
    Supper excited to start a weight loss plan!
    Need to stick to 1200 calories or less.

What is your plan??

Hopefully yours is to actually follow the plan - so the 1200 is ONLY on non-exercise days.

When you exercise and burn more - you eat more. And still have the same deficit.
    That's why on MFP you log exercise and eat those calories back, to keep the deficit the same.

Which I'm going to bet is too high in your case to be reasonable.
    Unreasonable deficit includes muscle mass weight loss. That'll bite you later when you have to repeat this next year because you gained all or more back.
  • debtay123
    debtay123 Posts: 1,327 Member
    I am on 1320 according to MFP- however when I exercise i always have more calories which it give me. I TRY to keep my net under 1100 or 1200 max. I have been losing slowly at this rate.5 to1 lbs a week.
  • RGv2
    edited August 2015

I'm definitely not misinterpreting what SOME people say. I have ready plenty of statements in these forums from people who said exactly what I wrote and meant to say. I realize not EVERYONE uses their calories on pizza and cookies.

Can you link if there are "plenty".

I've always seen:

Yes, you can eat whatever you want in a deficit to lose weight, but it's about nutrition as well. If you want pizza and cookies, find a way to fit it into your diet once in a while......not make it your whole diet.

Thanks outcorrect. I was looking for misrepresent, not misinterpret.
  • LeslieB042812
    LeslieB042812 Posts: 1,799 Member

I've always seen:

Yes, you can eat whatever you want in a deficit to lose weight, but it's about nutrition as well. If you want pizza and cookies, find a way to fit it into your diet once in a while......not make it your whole diet.

Seriously, does it matter? She was pointing out that, especially on a lower total calorie allotment, food choice matters for satiety and nutrition. Please don't derail by nitpicking her phrasing. I have to agree that many people focus on the CICO and without explicitly calling out the nutrition part (even if they mean it and follow it), but ultimately, it doesn't matter who said what, she wasn't picking on anyone in particular so no need to get defensive. :wink:

And, as someone on 1250 net calories/day, food choices do matter a lot more for avoiding the hunger crazies! I am able to stay at or under my goal and still feel satisfied when I choose whole foods that are high protein, full fat and high volume for the calories (these foods tend to be lower carb, but not always). If I do that all day, I can usually even fit in a small 50-150 calorie treat at the end of the day without feeling overly hungry. While it does come down to CICO, food choices help you stay in CICO and stay sane.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    1300 m/l during the workweek, 2000 m/l on weekends.
  • RGv2
    edited August 2015

I've always seen:

Seriously, does it matter? She was pointing out that, especially on a lower total calorie allotment, food choice matters for satiety and nutrition. Please don't derail by nitpicking her phrasing. I have to agree that many people focus on the CICO and without explicitly calling out the nutrition part (even if they mean it and follow it), but ultimately, it doesn't matter who said what, she wasn't picking on anyone in particular so no need to get defensive. :wink:

And, as someone on 1250 net calories/day, food choices do matter a lot more for avoiding the hunger crazies! I am able to stay at or under my goal and still feel satisfied when I choose whole foods that are high protein, full fat and high volume for the calories (these foods tend to be lower carb, but not always). If I do that all day, I can usually even fit in a small 50-150 calorie treat at the end of the day without feeling overly hungry. While it does come down to CICO, food choices help you stay in CICO and stay sane.

You're last paragraph pretty much makes my point, and the point of every CICO post I've read. Especially finding a way to fit in a treat. Showing people they don't have to completely cut out the foods they love in order to lose weight and be healthy.

Also, can someone point me to one of these many people/posts?
  • ashleesaid
    ashleesaid Posts: 50 Member
    1200 for me too. Eeesh. I optimistically set my activity to "active" and then realized the standard was sedentary for desk job people. So here we go, 1200 cals.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    ashleesaid wrote: »
    1200 for me too. Eeesh. I optimistically set my activity to "active" and then realized the standard was sedentary for desk job people. So here we go, 1200 cals.

That's ONLY on days you do no workout. Because MFP based that eating goal on NO exercise being done.

To keep the same hopefully reasonable deficit in place on days you do workout, when you burn more, you eat more.
    That's why when your log your exercise on MFP as you are supposed to, your eating goal goes up.

Same deficit in place for weight loss though.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,389 MFP Moderator
    ashleesaid wrote: »

What did you put your weight loss goal at; how many lbs per week?
  • mommyvudu

I've always seen:

Thank you.

And no, to guy who is obviously hangry or something and has time to pick on strangers on MFP, I will not go through past posts that I've read to satisfy your ridiculous demands. I feel no need to defend my statements any further. Bless your heart. I'm going to stop cluttering up this thread by arguing with someone 100% inconsequential to my life now. I apologize to everyone who is here for legit, beneficial conversation for taking the bait. I hope everyone, including this easily aggravated man, has a wonderful day and reaches their goals!!!
  • lamurano
    lamurano Posts: 19 Member
    Thanks to everyone who responded to me! I don't want clog this up by quoting each of you so I'll try to answer/clarify here.

I have the app set to 1lb a week, but even if I switch it to 2lbs a week it still says 1200 calories. Yes, I eat back my workout calories...in fact, I quite enjoy them! I've been losing at a rate of around 1/2 lb a week (until my scale broke) so I believe for my height/weight and frame size I just happen to be under the apps 1200 bottom limit, so they can't tell me that. Nevertheless, I do not eat less then that.

I was only 6 lbs from my goal as of last week. I currently am not sure where I am in terms of my goal though because of said busted scale. Lol
  • Primmalim
    Primmalim Posts: 13 Member
    I tried 1200 calories a day, but it wasn't enough so I upped it to 1400 to give myself a buffer in case I got the munchies. Seems to be working out great! I take a vitamin every day anyways to keep nutrients up since I'm a picky eater.
  • texasf1ght
    texasf1ght Posts: 70 Member
    I see a lot of people freaked out by the 1200 cal goal. MFP gave me that goal even when I started around 200 lbs. I'm still on 1200/day at 171. I'm 5'4", and I have it set on lightly active because I'm a teacher and walk around a good deal during work. When I workout I usually eat back half the calories, so I'm eating closer to 1400 cals/day. It's been a very slow process even at the 1200 goal. I work out 5-6 days per week doing a variety of cardio exercises and lifting.
  • SafioraLinnea
    SafioraLinnea Posts: 628 Member
    I'm 5'3.5", female, and eat between 1850 and 2000 a day and I'm losing at a rate that will give me about 50 pounds of weight loss in a year. If I keep going at this pace, it will take me more than a year to reach my goal, but I don't care because I am happy fueling my body with goals I find achievable and realistic. I feel like I could eat my current calorie limit daily for the rest of my life and never struggle.

Years ago I lost 40 pounds on a 1200-1400 calorie daily plan over an 8 month period, but I failed to keep it off because it was not realistic for my body. I had headaches and skin/hair started to look terrible all the time and I was pretty miserable.