FODMAP

Good morning. Is anyone following the FODMAP eating plan? Is it helping with your digestive issues and are you eating healthy?

Replies

• jacquifrench304
    jacquifrench304 Posts: 131 Member
    Foodmap will help you to identify the foods that cause your digestive issues , these are often different from person to person , once the elimination/ testing phase is done you will know which foods are an issue, then you plan your eating eliminating those foods .
    I have used foodmaps and found gluten and wheat are irritant for me , other people can react to any thing from dairy to nightshade plant types .
    Most people once they identified the problem foods manage to eat well with good nutrition, lose and gain weight as they need to and feed performance.
    It can be a slow slightly frustrating process but my tummy and my skin like me so much more now . Good luck with it it's worth doing .
  • oh_happy_day
    oh_happy_day Posts: 1,137 Member
    I don't but a family member does. She found it very helpful for her digestive issues. It can make eating out quite tricky depending on what your specific sensitivities are but for her it's totally worth it.
  • Speckle38
    Speckle38 Posts: 53 Member
    Low FODMAPs isn't supposed to be a way of life, but a means of identifying your particular triggers. My friend who did the elimination and then weekly food challenges discovered that she is fine with gluten, but wheat is a problem, and also garlic and onions. It has made a huge difference to her life to be able to pinpoint the actual causes and manage her diet properly.
  • I did the low fodmap diet and it really helped and I lost weigh and was eating healthier you can download the Monash university low fodmap diet app it will tell you what is good and what isn't
  • MalachyT
    MalachyT Posts: 9 Member
    I am following Sue Shepherd's book and still in the ellimination phase. Feeling better than I have in years and lost 7kg already. It's not easy but worth sticking with it. MFP helps a lot.
  • JdoubleJ
    JdoubleJ Posts: 37 Member
    I'm following it at the moment and I am at the end of week 8, so about to begin reintroduction. It has definitely helped me, there's been a market improvement. Most of the Low Fodmap food is healthy- veggies, fruit, lean protein etc but you still have to watch portions and it isn't healthy to restrict for so long. I found getting enough fibre a challenge!

If you suffer badly from IBS, it's worth a go.
  • poejegg
    poejegg Posts: 26 Member
    JdoubleJ wrote: »
    I'm following it at the moment and I am at the end of week 8, so about to begin reintroduction. It has definitely helped me, there's been a market improvement. Most of the Low Fodmap food is healthy- veggies, fruit, lean protein etc but you still have to watch portions and it isn't healthy to restrict for so long. I found getting enough fibre a challenge!

If you suffer badly from IBS, it's worth a go.

Have you been doing this with the help of a dietician or on your own? I've been considering paying a dietician as the research I've done points to this being the wisest course of action for FODMAP, but if it can be done without then I'll save my money!

• gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,590 Member
    My dad uses it. He has IBS and has been seeing doctors for years. This is the latest thing they recommended he try. He found out he was lactose intolerant but that wasn't the whole picture..... he tried gluten free but that didn't help either. I hope this one helps.
  • MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    DH did that for about a month, then started adding foods back. It was hard.