How did you decide your target weight?

Replies

• nordlead2005
    nordlead2005 Posts: 1,303 Member
    My first target weight is my old college weight. That will put me just in the normal range for BMI. When I hit that I'll do body fat measurements and the goal will be to build muscle and lose fat.
  • icck
    icck Posts: 197 Member
    edited August 2015
    My target is constantly evolving - I tend to just aim for 10lb, and see how I feel when I get there. :) How do I feel about the way my body looks? How do I feel health wise? How do I feel about losing another 10lb?

My ultimate goal is to be on the higher end of a healthy BMI/low end of overweight as that's where I was the happiest with my size, but I may well decide that I am satisfied before I get there - or I may get there and decide that I would like to keep going.
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Karmyeboo wrote: »
    I don't really do BMI because they don't take into account muscle and also like another person has said, genetics build us differently and most importantly different people are happy at different weights.

At 5'2, BMI tells me I should weigh between 104-132lbs*.

Currently at 161lbs I think I would be happy at 150lbs - however once reached this I will re evaluate..

My goal weight could be somewhere between 145-133lbs (lower end)

As in when I get to one of those numbers I'll give my self 5lb room space
    145-150lbs or 140lbs-145lbs.
    Unless you're a huge bodybuilder, a lean person is most likely going to be in the normal BMI range.
  • SaffronSunrise
    SaffronSunrise Posts: 182 Member
    I'm still working towards my first (mini) goal, which is still well above my BMI. Once I hit that number, I'll make my second goal which will probably be 20 more pounds, then keep working down from there. One big number was a little too depressing for me, so I'm taking it in pieces.
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,658 Member
    (My starting weight) - (my younger daughter's weight at the time) = (my target weight)
  • supersocks117
    supersocks117 Posts: 169 Member
    I chose a weight based on other weights I have been at in the last 5-6 years. 155 in early college (felt fat because it was higher than I started) 135 mid-college started watching what I ate and doing C25K and ran a 5k 160 when I got pregnant (I was working a ton before this to try to save money to not work when I had the baby and to buy a house!) so I was just really lazy at that point about my weight 195 highest pregnancy weight 175 after the baby was born current : 185. I chose 150 as my preliminary goal, in case my body has changed, and because 135 was extremely hard for me to maintain. I want a lifestyle that, while I have to put effort in, is not too hard to maintain.
  • iLoveMyPitbull1225
    iLoveMyPitbull1225 Posts: 1,691 Member
    When I decided to get in shape, I set a goal for myself. Once I achieved it, I reassessed and decided I wanted to keep going. I guess where I landed was a healthy (on lower end) BMI where I feel good and don't feel like I'm starving. For me that's 120.
  • I've set short-term, mid-term and long term goals. I started at 243...my short term goal was 20 pounds. My mid-term goal was 50 pounds which I hit in June...I've talked with my trainer and we're shooting for me to end up in the 160s (80 pounds total) so that's another 30, but I'm going to take those 10 pounds at a time as we go.
  • crazyjerseygirl
    crazyjerseygirl Posts: 1,252 Member
    I've never been slim, so I used my sister's weight!

We are the same height but built differently so I'm using her weight as a soft goal. Once I get well into the healthy BMI range (150s) I'm going to switch over to tracking body fat composition and aim for a goal of 20-25% and see where that puts me weight wise.
  • hekla90
    hekla90 Posts: 595 Member
    I've never been overweight so my goal was purely vanity based. I'm slightly below bmi and I'm honestly pretty happy here. I gained a few pounds back and maintaining 98-100, but I have energy, I get to eat a ton, and I'm satisfied with how I look as I'm pretty lean at the moment. I had a friend in a college just a tad taller than me who was about 115 pounds of what looked like pure muscle And she looked awesome so once I heal from an injury I'm certainly open to gaining a bit in more in the since of muscle mass with lifting. But I'm a pretty vain person and personally I wouldn't be comfortable or satisfied in a higher bmi because I know I could do better. I also feel like higher weights would hinder activities I enjoy to some degree.
  • strongenoughtofly
    strongenoughtofly Posts: 34 Member
    I gave up on target weights when I was sent to a hospital to get treatment for anorexia. I feel absolutely amazing and I look so much stronger with 30lbs more on my frame. I weight about 140 now but I'm easily 5'7.5. I just go by how I feel, how I look, and how my clothes fit.
    I'm going more by my body fat now. So I'm at around 22% but I want to hit 18% by January. For me, I have a decent amount of muscle and I look way better than I did when I weighed 100lbs. Maybe it's just me but that's how I roll.
  • nordlead2005
    nordlead2005 Posts: 1,303 Member
    hekla90 wrote: »
    I've never been overweight so my goal was purely vanity based. I'm slightly below bmi and I'm honestly pretty happy here. I gained a few pounds back and maintaining 98-100, but I have energy, I get to eat a ton, and I'm satisfied with how I look as I'm pretty lean at the moment. I had a friend in a college just a tad taller than me who was about 115 pounds of what looked like pure muscle And she looked awesome so once I heal from an injury I'm certainly open to gaining a bit in more in the since of muscle mass with lifting. But I'm a pretty vain person and personally I wouldn't be comfortable or satisfied in a higher bmi because I know I could do better. I also feel like higher weights would hinder activities I enjoy to some degree.

underweight BMI for vanity isn't a good goal. Once you get into the "healthy" range of BMI, BF% would be a better indicator. Also, muscle mass almost never interferes with activities you enjoy unless you have to be lightweight (like someone has to lift you). In almost every activity more muscle benefits you. Even with pole (as in your profile photo), more muscle means an easier time lifting yourself.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    I picked the middle of the healthy BMI range.
  • 007Aggie
    007Aggie Posts: 110 Member
    I have no target. I will continue to drop body fat until I am content. Once there, I will work harder on performance (I run).
  • shabaity
    shabaity Posts: 791 Member
    I'm sitting at 140 as target (130 is to allow for the upward movement of switching to maintanence and for purposes of seeing if I can healthy get close to my desired fight weight.) This is also where my doc thinks I'd have the most success convincing the insurance companies to fund a particular surgery.
  • katkins3
    katkins3 Posts: 1,360 Member
    I started at 207 and haven't set a particular goal weight. I've decided on my daily calorie goal and my exercise goals. I'll see where these goals take me and then adjust, if needed, when I've gone as far as my current daily routine takes me.
    I'm 65, I Jazzercise every day for cardio, walk most days because I like being outdoors, weight training at my gym three or four times a week, and yoga class once a week (I practice a bit of yoga in the evening while watching the TV).
    Where ever my calorie goal and these practices take me will be fine with me.
  • hekla90
    hekla90 Posts: 595 Member
    hekla90 wrote: »

underweight BMI for vanity isn't a good goal. Once you get into the "healthy" range of BMI, BF% would be a better indicator. Also, muscle mass almost never interferes with activities you enjoy unless you have to be lightweight (like someone has to lift you). In almost every activity more muscle benefits you. Even with pole (as in your profile photo), more muscle means an easier time lifting yourself.

What I am saying is that in the range of healthy weights, for vanity reasons I choose the lower end of that range. Being 1 or 2 lbs underweight is no worse than being a few lbs overweight. I have no problems pulling myself up in pole as it is :) and actually being heavier would make that more difficult because you'd have to lift more weight. Since I've lost 10 pounds I find it's easier to invert myself in pole not harder. My best estimates of body fat are that I'm around 15-18%, so I'm not skinny fat. You don't have to have ginormous muscles to be strong. I have zero interest in being 140 lbs even if my body fat is very low and that's technically in a healthy range. Not the look I am aiming for ;)
  • kiela64
    kiela64 Posts: 1,447 Member
    edited August 2015
    I found this thread really thought provoking. I want to be in a healthy BMI, but when I really think about it I can't actually imagine it. It seems impossible and unrealistic.

What feels possible and realistic to me, is to get out of the obese range into the high end of the overweight category for my height. That's my goal for this year. That's what I can understand, what feels like a challenge but also an achievable one.

That would get me back to my high school weight, my weight about 6 years ago. That would be amazing. That makes me excited, not overwhelmed.

• kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,881 Member
    I picked for my goal weight the weight I was when I was a full time yoga teacher 12 years ago. It happens to be at the low end of Overweight in the BMI scale, but as I have big hands and feet (women's 11), I don't care.
  • conqueringsquidlette
    conqueringsquidlette Posts: 383 Member
    I'm just doing 5% at a time to see if hitting smaller marks keeps me motivated.