I'm Stuck With C25K

Options
I started C25K In July and have just gotten back from doing w3d3. With the program I am following, that meant 3 sets of (R1 W1 R3:00 W2:30). I was able to finish this but it was HARD. Week 4 is (R2 W2 R5:00 W2:30!) x 2 sets. Based on today, I don't think I could do that. I don't think I could do the 5 minutes of running. Every run so far has been a slog.

So, do I try week 4 anyway? Or stick at w3d3 and just keep repeating it until I feel stronger? Or create a program of my own for the next week or two that builds up to the 5:00 more slowly?

I'd love advice from those of you who are farther along!

FWIW I'm female, 50, and about 35 lbs over my goal weight.

Replies

• jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    I would try week 4. I'm not sure how fast you are trying to run but something that seems to be an issue with a lot of people is trying to run too fast. When you do W4D1, make it a point to run more slowly, even if you already think that you run slow. You may also want to add another 5 minutes of walking beforehand to warm up a bit more. Whenever I run, I have to walk for at least 10 minutes (rather than the standard 5) as my warm up. It makes a huge difference for me and it may for you as well.
  • cat_lady77
    cat_lady77 Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    I haven't been doing it recently, but when I was doing it I skipped a day of Week 3 & Week 4 ended up killing me! I couldn't make it to 5 min. So I went back & did Week 3 again & Week 4 was still hard. Honestly, I think I had to modify Week 4 until I got to 5 min of jogging (I was preparing for a 5K but it didn't really work out!)
    I fell off the wagon with C25K, but there's no shame in having to repeat or go back to past weeks if you're not ready! Just do it at your pace.
  • msf74
    msf74 Posts: 3,498 Member
    Options
    Try week 4 and see how you go. You may surprise yourself as there is a strong mental component to running from my own recent experience.

Also, you are looking to run for a certain amount of time rather than as fast as possible so keep the pace nice and relaxed.
  • thebuz
    thebuz Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    I agree with others that say you should just try week 4.

1 - 90% of the battle is the mental game where you are already convincing yourself that you can't do something before trying it. We're all guilty of doing this. Trust in yourself and the program because it works!

2 - Run slowly. Trust me when I say that you can run much slower than you think is possible. The program is meant to have you walk the walk components as quickly as possible and to run the run segments very slowly which can mean you are running slower than your walk. The idea behind the program is that your run and walk pace should be similar therefore you ease into running.

Good luck! You've got this.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    I would move forward at least a day
    there are going ot be good days and bad days
  • BasicGreatGuy
    BasicGreatGuy Posts: 868 Member
    Options
    Are you running on a track or where the terrain has inclines along the way? If the latter, that can take a little out of you if you are just starting out.

Slow your pace down until you are jogging about brisk walk speed for yourself. If you have already been doing that and still getting winded, cut the app times in half (re: running time). Keep repeating until you can do the full 5 mins without being winded. You should be able to carry on a normal conversation while you jog for 5 mins. If you are wheezing not long after you get started and or your legs are feeling heavy, that is a sign to slow it down.

If you aren't walking already on your off days, it would be a good idea to do so, in my opinion. It will help with your recovery, along with building endurance.

You can do it.
  • JeffGDDG
    JeffGDDG Posts: 252 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    I just finished week five which today was a twenty minute run with no walk breaks. I didn't think I would be able, almost stopped several times but in the end made it. Take your time. Try your next day and see. If you need extra walk breaks then take them. And if that happens just stay on whatever day it is until you can do it. It also helps to distract yourself while running. I try and think of other things. How many songs I have left in the run. What I may eat or drink afterwards. Anything at all. Try and control your breathing. Keep it slow and even. Relax your shoulders and feet.
  • BasicGreatGuy
    BasicGreatGuy Posts: 868 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    I just finished week five which today was a twenty minute run with no walk breaks. I didn't think I would be able, almost stopped several times but in the end made it. Take your time. Try your next day and see. If you need extra walk breaks then take them. And if that happens just stay on whatever day it is until you can do it.
    How long is the last week's run?

I used 5K Runner pro, which had a slightly different time frame. I had 22 mins at week 5 in my plan. It lasted 8 weeks.
  • dinsfamily
    dinsfamily Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    thebuz wrote: »
    I agree with others that say you should just try week 4.

1 - 90% of the battle is the mental game where you are already convincing yourself that you can't do something before trying it. We're all guilty of doing this. Trust in yourself and the program because it works!

2 - Run slowly. Trust me when I say that you can run much slower than you think is possible. The program is meant to have you walk the walk components as quickly as possible and to run the run segments very slowly which can mean you are running slower than your walk. The idea behind the program is that your run and walk pace should be similar therefore you ease into running.

Good luck! You've got this.

This exactly. I had to repeat a couple of weeks when I did C25K a few years ago. Don't beat yourself up if you "fail" a day. Try again on your next workout. Run slower. C25K does work. I used it to get my very overweight body used to working out again after my last baby. Ran my 5K and looked to a half marathon. Along the way, I found out that I actually liked running.

Have fun!
  • MarziPanda95
    MarziPanda95 Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options
    I had the exact same problem. I just couldn't seem to do 5 minutes. 3 minutes wasn't a problem, but 5? I spent almost 4 weeks trying to run 5 minutes and then just gave up :neutral: I managed to run like 6 minutes at a time during the 5k I did, but it was because of the motivation and support. And competitiveness!
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    slow down.

do it anyway.

just keep telling yourself "30 more seconds"

I do that on the stairmaster- and I manage to talk myself into 25-45 minute long workouts- and the stair master- is not kind. LOL

slow down- you can do it. Do W4.
  • hbrittingham
    hbrittingham Posts: 2,518 Member
    Options
    95% of running is mental. I find myself bargaining with myself a couple of runs a week. If I'm having a bad day, I'll start out telling myself that I'll just do 2 miles and walk the 3rd. When I get to 2 miles, I tell myself that I'll just run 2.5 miles and then walk .5. Next thing I know, my 3 miles are done. The good news is, it does get easier and I find I am enjoying my runs more than not now. Hang in there, slow down and move on to your next week. Don't let it psyche you out!
  • Slainte831
    Slainte831 Posts: 125 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    So today I went out to try w4d1, with its 5 min runs, and you all were ....

RIGHT!!!!

Thank you!!!
  • mwyvr
    mwyvr Posts: 1,883 Member
    Options
    Fantastic! Pushing ourselves a little is a good thing. We are all much stronger than we imagine at first.
  • bwogilvie
    bwogilvie Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    Slainte831 wrote: »

RIGHT!!!!

Thank you!!!

Congratulations!
  • dinsfamily
    dinsfamily Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Nice work!
  • emiliebecause
    emiliebecause Posts: 63 Member
    Options

RIGHT!!!!

Thank you!!!
    Amazing!! Congatulations!
    I did w5d1 today so I am just a smidge ahead of you. But week 4 really felt terrific to complete. Myself, I take as long as I need to be able to complete each three times in a row. So if I falter on one run, I will repeat it. It has taken me far longer than 4 weeks to get here at the rate I am going but I figure it is most important that I am out there and moving. I reeeeally want to avoid injury as well and not pushing too hard feels like the best way for me to do that.
  • Slainte831
    Slainte831 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Yep!

I took your advice and slowed down considerably (or so it felt -- in reality, it was only about 45 sec off my typical best pace). I concentrated on breathing. One thing that really resonated with me, that @thebuz said, was that the program was designed to walk briskly and run slowly, and that the two would then meld into one long run. I had always considered the walk portion to be a 'placeholder' for the run part, but now I am seeing them as equal partners in this journey. A small but important change in outlook!

Thanks again, everyone, and keep up the good work! We can do this!
  • Maxematics
    Maxematics Posts: 2,287 Member
    Options
    Yes, the program even says jog instead of run so that's your hint to go at a slower pace. You should be at a speed between 4 and 6 miles per hour for that part. It's about endurance, not speed.
  • thebuz
    thebuz Posts: 221 Member
    Options

RIGHT!!!!

Thank you!!!

I'm so glad you went for it!!! I bet you felt like you could take on the world! I'm proud of you for trying and I knew you could do it. Now you know to always try the next one no matter how daunting it feels. :-)