All-purpose shoes for weak arches

im on my feet all day for school or work or something and need something that can support my ankles and weak arches for when I start exercising with treadmill and the track. I don't have a lot of money to spend on shoes. Any good recommendations?

Replies

• cheshirecatastrophe
    cheshirecatastrophe Posts: 1,395 Member
    Assuming you are in the US:

Running Warehouse is an online store with free shipping and a fantastic return-exchange policy: if you don't like the shoes, even if you've worn them out of the house, you can exchange them for up to 60 days. Free return shipping as well.

I went to their Sales Shoes selection and looked at support shoes. I wear either neutral or support/stability shoes, but sometimes I feel like shoes let my ankles collapse too far inward. I'm guessing that's the sensation you want to avoid? Of the sale shoes there, I'd recommend:
    New Balance 870
    Asics GT-1000 if it comes in your size
    New Balance 890 or 890v5
    *Maybe* the Mizuno Wave Rider 17. It's a neutral shoe and Mizuno shoes have a *very* distinctive feel that is very love-it-or-hate-it, but I think the Rider has really nice arch support.

Another very supportive option is the Skechers GoRun Ride. Very squishy/cushioned, cheap, but my GoRun Ride 4s wore out faster than other shoes I've used.
  • fittogroom
    fittogroom Posts: 14 Member
    Assuming you are in the US:

Running Warehouse is an online store with free shipping and a fantastic return-exchange policy: if you don't like the shoes, even if you've worn them out of the house, you can exchange them for up to 60 days. Free return shipping as well.

I went to their Sales Shoes selection and looked at support shoes. I wear either neutral or support/stability shoes, but sometimes I feel like shoes let my ankles collapse too far inward. I'm guessing that's the sensation you want to avoid? Of the sale shoes there, I'd recommend:
    New Balance 870
    Asics GT-1000 if it comes in your size
    New Balance 890 or 890v5
    *Maybe* the Mizuno Wave Rider 17. It's a neutral shoe and Mizuno shoes have a *very* distinctive feel that is very love-it-or-hate-it, but I think the Rider has really nice arch support.

Another very supportive option is the Skechers GoRun Ride. Very squishy/cushioned, cheap, but my GoRun Ride 4s wore out faster than other shoes I've used.

I will look at that. I have a bad knee and chronic ankle sprains but running/walking is the only gym exercise I have motivation to do since they don't have punching bags. I need a shoe that will help with that and my bad arches. Thank you
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,619 Member
    In addition to supportive shoes, you should try to do some strengthening exercises for your feet and ankles. Therabands/resistance bands and toe/heel raises are good ways to start.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    In addition to supportive shoes, you should try to do some strengthening exercises for your feet and ankles. Therabands/resistance bands and toe/heel raises are good ways to start.

agreed
  • sweetteadrinker2
    sweetteadrinker2 Posts: 1,026 Member
    You can also do exercises for your feet geared toward ballerinas, like 'writing the alphabet' with your foot in the air. I also like sketchers for my weak arches and bad ankles.
  • Tyke2410
    Tyke2410 Posts: 15 Member
    Have you considered speaking to a podiatrist? I had dreadful pain in my feet eventually diagnosed as collapsed arches. One pair of made to measure orthotic insoles later and I no longer have pain in my feet. I buy neutral running shoes so they don't interfere with the way my insoles work.
    Please be careful looking for shoes to alleviate your problem, you may end up exacerbating it!