Should I bulk now?

Options
So I have lost 40lbs and I am healthy. I have some muscle tone but I am very weak and my muscles are not as big and shapely as I'd like them to be. Should I bulk now? Or cut further so my muscles are more visible? I don't have a great deal of muscle at the moment so im unsure if that is the issue. I already have a good lifting base and hope to start 5X5 SL. Any advice would be appreciated :)

Replies

• Giolis
    Giolis Posts: 1,204 Member
    Options
    My suggestion would be for you to start SL 5x5 but keep calories at maintenance. Once you find that you can no longer increase the amount of resistance then I would switch to a bulk.
  • Kimo159
    Kimo159 Posts: 508 Member
    Options
    You say you have a lifting base, but I don't really know how much experience a base is so just take what you can from this. A bulk is less effective for a beginner lifter. You probably want to be lifting for around 6 months before you begin to bulk. So if you haven't been lifting long then I second the idea to start SL5x5 at maintenance. You'll experience the newbie gains and then you can switch to a bulk when those gains start to taper off. If you've already been lifting for a while then I don't see why you can't start to bulk sooner rather than later.
  • lucyholdcroft363
    lucyholdcroft363 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I've been lifting for around four months, probably about three properly. I have definitely noticed gains in my arms and back! Will stick at maintenance for a while and then bulk, thanks!
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    Do you know what your current body fat % is??
  • lucyholdcroft363
    lucyholdcroft363 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »

Not exactly, no. I'd estimate 22-24% but course that limited accuracy!
  • ffwang82
    ffwang82 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I did the opposite, I bulk first around bf 25%, then cut down to current 17%. Still in progress to to the goal of 12%.

5x5 strong lift is a very good program for new lifter. I'd recommend to do compound lifting only (i.e. Bench press, squat, deadlift, shoulder press, pull ups/pull down, row). Lift hard and give your body at least 1-2 days rest between next lifting session. I do cardio and swimming on rest day because they give me more space for deficit and I can eat more.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    losing weight and fitness isn't a "cut and bulk" cycle for most people. a bulk is typically done by a body builder that is trying to build muscle. they eat in excess while still counting calories and macros in order to build as much muscle mass as possible. once they've reached a point where they are as strong as they want to be (or fatter than they'd like to be, lol) they begin a cut. they restrict calories, and increase cardio. they will lose some muscle mass, but mostly it will be fat.

you do not have to do a bulk and cut cycle. just start hitting the weights at the gym, and probably continue eating at the level you are eating at now. i wouldn't change too many things as once, as you want to see how one thing affects you before you make another change.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »

Not exactly, no. I'd estimate 22-24% but course that limited accuracy!

can you post some pictures…?

it is usually recommend for females to get into the 18-22% range before bulking; however, that is just a range and is not an across the board number for everyone.

I would say if you are at a point where you have lost a lot of fat and want to change things up, go for the bulk and run it for three months and see how you look at the end of three months.

Or, you could do a recomp where you eat at maintenance and lift heavy…some don't like this because it takes a long time and you really do not see quick results….