Here I go again . . . roller coaster ride

Options
2»

Replies

• vivmom2014
    vivmom2014 Posts: 1,647 Member
    Options
    My two cents: prioritize your health. Set a reasonable (.5lb./week) calorie deficit. Don't be super restrictive. Fit in all the foods you enjoy, but stay under your calorie goal. Add exercise for fitness and to eat a bit more.

I'm a big fan of Leslie Sansone walking DVDs. She got me back into exercise after injury. Now I'm using resistance bands and intensifying most of the movements - that's the beauty of her program. You can really make it high impact. And you can start right where you are, any fitness level, and feel successful.
  • Sandcastles61
    Sandcastles61 Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    Exercise videos is a great idea . . . I'll have to go shopping :) Thanks!

There are a lot of free exercise videos on YouTube like fitness blender, Leslie Sansone's walking videos. Have fun with it :)
  • wifeofonemomofthree
    wifeofonemomofthree Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I never even thought of youtube - thanks! I'll check out Leslie Sansone's :)
  • daniwilford
    daniwilford Posts: 1,030 Member
    Options
    I ask myself, "Whats different this time?" For me there are many things different, mind set, knowledge, health, motivations, family dynamics and I hope, as I age, I am becoming wiser. I am a different person this time, than the last time, I can be successful.
  • SingRunTing
    SingRunTing Posts: 2,604 Member
    Options
    You know, I appreciate all the comments here to my plea for help. My husband and I run an addiction recovery program and I know that just because you commit to something and reorganize your priorities doesn't mean that you won't fail at times and have to start again. I know the importance of never giving up and starting over and over and over again. I do want to state that it is not as easy as a couple of you seem to think it is. There are actual physical limitations and chemical issues working against us. That doesn't mean we won't be successful. It just means that it won't be easy and we may have to keep "starting over" - never give up, in other words.

This is really about perspective.

When I mess up, I don't consider it a failure. I consider it being an imperfect human. It's not "starting over again and again" to move on from your mistakes and try to do better today. This isn't easy. It's not easy to not wallow in your mistakes. It's not easy to do my best each day. But the more you do it, the easier it gets. It becomes habit which makes it easier to do.

The only way I can fail is to give up entirely. That's a choice.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,996 Member
    Options
    I don't hate exercise, that was someone else. I'm not so sure I like the gym type of exercises, but hiking in the woods or walking on the beach sound wonderful . . . I just not near the woods or a beach :) Wish I was. But in my experience, exercise almost seems more important in my personal weight loss than the food I eat. It seems like when I'm exercising, the food kind of takes care of itself. I don't WANT to eat the bad stuff that I love so much.
    I just need to get back into the swing of exercise!

Yup, the same is true for me :)

• kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,996 Member
    Options
    I'd really appreciate this string of comments not turning into something contentious. How about exercises? I know that it's important to do weight training and resistance training as well as cardio. I don't belong to a gym so I need some suggestions on at-home stuff I can do. Thanks.

If you have digital cable, there is exercise stuff available On Demand. There may be exercise channels on regular cable as well.

• TamLam99
    TamLam99 Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    I'd really appreciate this string of comments not turning into something contentious. How about exercises? I know that it's important to do weight training and resistance training as well as cardio. I don't belong to a gym so I need some suggestions on at-home stuff I can do. Thanks.

I don't belong to a gym either so I do all my workouts at home. I have a stationary bike, a punching bag, free weights, and Leslie Sansone walk away the pounds videos. I mix up my workouts so I don't get bored and on the weekend I try to hike or go for a walk. I've also been wearing my pedometer which encourages me to get in extra steps. I use my stairs for pushups and I do squats randomly throughout the day, which cracks up my husband when I just start doing squats while I'm in the kitchen getting dinner ready.

• wifeofonemomofthree
    wifeofonemomofthree Posts: 16 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    I've ordered the Leslie Sansone walk away the pounds videos - yea! The stairs/pushups idea is great! Thank you all for the great ideas!
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    I do cardio based resistance training DVDs in the limited space I have at home and I really love it! I stayed "on plan" for a long while but have recently started C25K with a friend so just mix it up and keep it more relaxed. It's now just innate to wonder what workout I'll do today and as it's an appetite suppressant for me it's a double bonus to keep with my calorie goal!

I just had a lightbulb moment, everything fell into place and while it's not always easy, it's not been horribly hard. I'm mentally in the right place to make the commitment and I'm benefiting physically. I do believe those things have to be inplace but once you got it you got it. I think the track now is stopping the yoyo before it gets too out of hand, Just keep on learning I say!
  • girlwithcurls2
    girlwithcurls2 Posts: 2,276 Member
    Options

I wonder if there is something out there that you haven't tried yet. I have pretty much hated exercise for 45 years. Two years ago, I took a fitness class that combined yoga and dance. It took way more coordination than I thought I had, but it was such great music, and the people were so lovely, I kept going back. I actually got better, my balance improved, and it provided me some cardio. A year ago, I took up swimming. I never would have thought I would want to swim laps, but there I was, taking an water fitness class (really fun) and I thought, "Hey, I could swim laps!" MUUUUUCH harder than it looks, but just like the dance class, learning something new turned into a challenge and it was fun. Anything that gets you moving more is great. One thing builds on another. For me, I now NEED to move. Or I'm really grumpy. My husband can't believe it's still me, lol. But my body now loves to feel strong. Maybe take a class? Try something new? I even found workouts on cable that were fantastic and a great workout (free with my cable subscription).
    Good luck!
  • girlwithcurls2
    girlwithcurls2 Posts: 2,276 Member
    Options
    Kalikel wrote: »
    In the house, you can do bodyweight stuff, exercise videos...or just dance around the house.

Walking is underrated, IMO. Walking and swimming are my two biggies. :)

This. ;)
  • skinnyinnotime
    skinnyinnotime Posts: 4,141 Member
    Options
    Nothing "happens" to you, you let it happen.

You're in control of what you do, it's upto you which choices you make.
  • donolo
    donolo Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    This is going to be unpopular, but yo yo dieting works for me. I have a weight range that is acceptable to me, which happens to fall within my healthy BMI range, we're talking 20-30lbs, and I stay in that range. I've only exceeded it when losing my baby weight post-pregnancy. This suits my personality type as I can stay hyper-focused on things, like obsessively counting calories, for only so long. I've long ago given up on the idea that I will forever be weighing my food and counting my calories. Frankly, the thought is exhausting. I do it until I have success, keep it up until I get bored of it, and yes, my weight does creep back up, I do love me a good cheeseburger, but a lot more slowly than than it comes off. I've been in a cycle like this for most of my adult life. I do stay pretty active, and have a physical job, so that helps. I really don't see the point of beating myself up over my "failures"...I became a lot happier when I stopped viewing them as such. Try finding a system that works for you, even if it goes against conventional wisdom. After all, if conventional wisdom were so great, we'd have this problem licked wouldn't we?
  • vivmom2014
    vivmom2014 Posts: 1,647 Member
    Options
    donolo wrote: »
    This is going to be unpopular, but yo yo dieting works for me. I have a weight range that is acceptable to me, which happens to fall within my healthy BMI range, we're talking 20-30lbs, and I stay in that range. I've only exceeded it when losing my baby weight post-pregnancy. This suits my personality type as I can stay hyper-focused on things, like obsessively counting calories, for only so long. I've long ago given up on the idea that I will forever be weighing my food and counting my calories. Frankly, the thought is exhausting. I do it until I have success, keep it up until I get bored of it, and yes, my weight does creep back up, I do love me a good cheeseburger, but a lot more slowly than than it comes off. I've been in a cycle like this for most of my adult life. I do stay pretty active, and have a physical job, so that helps. I really don't see the point of beating myself up over my "failures"...I became a lot happier when I stopped viewing them as such. Try finding a system that works for you, even if it goes against conventional wisdom. After all, if conventional wisdom were so great, we'd have this problem licked wouldn't we?

A 30 pound range of normal?! Whoa, I would be seriously upset if I put on 30 lbs.

• Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    donolo wrote: »

Thirty pounds is not acceptable for me, but I have the feeling that I may occasionally gain 2-5 and then have to lose them. I'm cool with that. I KNOW I am not going to be weighing every little bit of food I eat for the rest of my life, so if I gain a couple, I'll take them off. That's the plan, anyway. Well, it's the back-up plan. :)

If you're cool with 25-30 pound gains, though...and it works for you...fine by me!