MFP got mad at me last night!

Options
Rarely do I ever have a deficit of more than 100 or 200 calories and often I'm right on the money or slightly over. Last night I wasn't feeling great and was tired so I went to bed instead of eating. This is the message I got when I closed my diary for the day.... needless to say, I was surprised and never seen that before (although I know and understand the point)

Totals 984
Goal 1,600
Remain 616
Calories
Based on your total calories consumed today, you are likely not eating enough

For safe weight loss, the National Institutes of Health recommends no less than 1000-1200 calories for women and 1200-1500 calories for men.

Even during weight loss, it's important to meet your body's basic nutrient and energy needs. Over time, not eating enough can lead to nutrient deficiencies, unpleasant side effects & other serious health problems.

To safely meet your goals:

Focus on consuming nutrient-rich foods and beverages
Check your progress in MyFitnessPal throughout the day
Add nutritious snacks between meals as needed

Replies

• CurveyV
    CurveyV Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Lol I get that a lot too!!!
  • StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    Options
    They won't let you post to your feed when under 1000 calories. I think the theory is that it could encourage others to aim for unreasonably low #s. To have a random day like this, not a big deal. To do it on a regular basis may not be the best thing.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    As long as it's only one day, I wouldn't worry about it. It's those who consistently undereat without doctor's guidance that can be in danger.
  • AngelaAlario
    AngelaAlario Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    malibu927 wrote: »
    As long as it's only one day, I wouldn't worry about it. It's those who consistently undereat without doctor's guidance that can be in danger.

Oh I'm not worried about it. I just found it sort of funny.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Yep
  • strong_curves
    strong_curves Posts: 2,229 Member
    Options
    That's a good message to have. You'd be surprised at how many ED people are here.
  • BasicGreatGuy
    BasicGreatGuy Posts: 857 Member
    Options
    MFP has it there to help remind people about healthy eating and also to protect itself against lawsuits.
  • heatherlewisis
    heatherlewisis Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    I got that message on Monday... My birthday party was on Sunday, and I went way over so I made up for some of it on Monday and it yelled at me lol...
  • rubyandmani
    rubyandmani Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I get this most of the time but I either ignore it or I just try to adjust it with replacing my meals with highest calories option as I love to see:hm I will b in 5 weeks thingy: as you dont get that when you are lower then 1000 cal.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    I get this most of the time but I either ignore it or I just try to adjust it with replacing my meals with highest calories option as I love to see:hm I will b in 5 weeks thingy: as you dont get that when you are lower then 1000 cal.

Unless you're under a doctor's advice, you should be eating at least 1200 daily
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options

You ignore a warning that you're consistently undereating? That's not at all worrying................
  • ladybug4233
    ladybug4233 Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    I got that yesterday too. I just ate a lot of low cal foods it wasn't intentional.
  • ki4eld
    ki4eld Posts: 1,215 Member
    Options
    Once in a while is ok, just like once in a while over is ok.

I get this daily, but I'm also under a doctor's care right now and it's supposed to say that. I'm actually surprised when I don't get it, because I finally see the "If every day were like today, you'd weigh xxxlbs in 5 weeks" message and that startles me!
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    the occasional day isn't a big deal. if you are getting those messages a lot, you may have a problem.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    malibu927 wrote: »

Unless you're under a doctor's advice, you should be eating at least 1200 daily

Yep. I agree.
  • Pinnacle_IAO
    Pinnacle_IAO Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    They won't let you post to your feed when under 1000 calories. I think the theory is that it could encourage others to aim for unreasonably low #s. To have a random day like this, not a big deal. To do it on a regular basis may not be the best thing.
    ^^^THIS^^^^

• SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    CurveyV wrote: »
    Lol I get that a lot too!!!
    I got that yesterday too. I just ate a lot of low cal foods it wasn't intentional.
    go2gymgal wrote: »
    I get that a lot too

This whole thread is upsetting to me. I keep imagining all of you under eating so much and so often that you just ignore the warnings and keep on going. The warning is there for a reason. If you can't eat all of your 1200 calories, then maybe you should increase your goal to 1300 so you can have a buffer. This is your own health and wellbeing we're discussing and I think it bothers me more than it does you. Something's wrong with that.
    This too.
  • Kimegatron
    Kimegatron Posts: 772 Member
    Options
    Sometimes mine does that, so I decide to go to the liquor store...