Fed up challenge

Options
13»

Replies

• irnz
    irnz Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    PS:
    I don't think I could ever give up sugar. I love desserts way too much. I do hate sugar in savory things though, so it's always tricky buying prepared food.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    Bam! After my six month plateau, I dropped added sugar and my once a week fast food. Here is my weight loss from March 23, 2014 to present.

levuashdzqnj.jpg

The point is?
  • MakePeasNotWar
    MakePeasNotWar Posts: 1,329 Member
    Options
    AJ_G wrote: »
    AJ_G wrote: »
    Lol yea follow a food challenge based on a terrible documentary that's based on bad science. That'll end well haha

I am simply cutting out added sugar, I titled this "fed up challenge" because I thought that it's similar to what I'm doing. Sugars are not benefiting my health so why keep them? I am not actually doing it as a challenge type thing, I am just wanting to get rid of sugars because I think I can benefit from not eating crap. There is no reason to comment on here with your negativity.
    You don't have to cut out sugars, I'm not telling you what I think you should and shouldn't do with your diet so why are you commenting on here telling me it's a bad idea?
    I would be okay with you telling me why sugar is good for me but if you don't give me legitimate feed back that can help me than I have no interest. So please tell me why is cutting sugar bad? How does my body gain anything from it? I eat fruit so I have natural sugars, but I don't understand why I shouldn't cut them out.

First off, calling anything with added sugars "crap" is extremely ignorant of nutrition as a whole.

To answer your question, cutting should only be done if it must be done. The reason for this is that restrictive diets are inherently troublesome. Unless you legitimately plan to completely avoid "added sugars" for the rest of your life, then don't restrict them now. What happens when you do that is that when you inevitably eat something sweet like a cookie or a brownie or chocolate, you will binge and you will binge hard. It happens to everyone that tries to eliminate sugar from their diet and it will happen to you. The amount of time it takes varies based on willpower but it will happen. You develop unhealthy eating habits and what started as a challenge becomes unhealthy. If you stop treating sugar like something that's unhealthy and start treating it like what it actually is (an extremely efficient fuel source) then maybe you might have a better relationship with it. Sugar is not bad, insulin is not bad. If you're eating at maintenance or in a deficit, sugar does not cause fat gain, it restores glycogen in the muscles and liver. As far as your natural sugars, do you really think they are different on a molecular level than "added sugars". Your body recognizes and responds to them in the same way.

Would you care to share your source for the bolded text?

I know lots of people who don't eat added sugars, and they aren't the wild eyed sugar-zombies you seem to think they would be. Most don't even like sweetened foods anymore.
  • Bazzababy1
    Bazzababy1 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I tried to get the family off additional sugar example white and brown packet sugar sauce and cut back on biscuits they wont budge. Its harder than i thought too. I stopped buying biscuits by the end of the first day they started raiding cupboards looking for something sweet. They also got quite grumpy telling me there was nothing to eat. I loaded up the fridge with fruit and bought dried crackers but this backfired they are not eating it. Im patient though i will outsit them. what i have read hear it sounds like limiting the quantity then perhaps sneaky substitutes might be the answer. There seems to be some great alternatives. ps i dont mind what you call the food - my family dont mind telling me straight what they think of my dinners as my dinners have been called worse. Keep it going guys and girls
  • rwhyte12
    rwhyte12 Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    If you're making some muffins, then you can sweeten them with the natural fruits as well as apple sauce in the place of the sugar. Then choose olive oil to replace butter or shortening.
    The olive oil makes baked goods pretty moist.
    That's one way to go and can be done on any recipe.
    A friend of mine takes her chocolate protein powder, uses apple sauce for the sweetener and yogurt for the fat and makes brownies.
  • Blueseraphchaos
    Blueseraphchaos Posts: 843 Member
    Options
    A bread machine can do wonders if you can afford it and have space for it, although the best recipe I've found calls for 1.5 tsp of sugar or honey to activate the yeast.

I haven't eliminated added sugars, but i did make an attempt at using foods that are one ingredient whole foods in order to make meals and everything else. It is possible to find no-sugar added pasta sauce, but it's just as easy to use canned tomatoes to make your own. Last year, i bought 40 lbs of tomato seconds and made my own sauce and froze it. Time consuming but well worth the effort.

There are tons of meals that you can make with no added sugar, lemurcat had some great suggestions. If you feel like challenging yourself some more when you're done with this one, check out the 100 days of real food challenge, lol.

I did a modified version of that a couple years ago and it taught me a lot about nutrition. But it does take time to cook all your own stuff or hunt down packaged versions that conform to those rules.

I still eat a lot of junk, haha. But my kids are much less resistant to nutritious food now. I see nothing wrong with doing a challenge like this. Sometimes it keeps things interesting if you're that type of person (i definitely am), sometimes it helps kickstart weight loss, sometimes it helps you better fuel your body if your diet was particularly atrocious to begin with. Gotta admit, i have backslid this summer with eating nutritious, whole foods because i am under ridiculous time constraints and a tremendous amount of stress. It's probably time for me to dosomething similar again to reset my mindframe...
  • PatriciaMcCamley
    PatriciaMcCamley Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone for your helpful replies. Sorry I haven't come on here in a long time I broke my phone and didn't have a computer to come on here from. :)