Squats- upper body gives way before lower body?

Options
Hi! So while doing squats with a barbell I feel it putting a lot of pressure on my upper back and my arms get tired far more quickly than my lower body does and I feel my legs don't get as great of a workout as they could with a heavier weight. Similar issues with trying to hold dumbbells in either hand. Obviously everybody has a stronger lower body than their upper body, but what could I be doing wrong? I've watched a lot of videos online and read quite a few articles regarding form and I'm fairly certain that mine is pretty good. And as I understand, alternatives like the leg press doesn't work your lower body as well as squats do. Is this normal? Should I stick with the "lighter" weight until my upper body can handle it as well?

Replies

• IsaackGMOON
    IsaackGMOON Posts: 3,358 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Post a form video... otherwise we can't help you.

• ShellyBell999
    ShellyBell999 Posts: 1,482 Member
    Options
    You said it yourself, gotta build your upper body strength (providing your form is solid).
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    Make sure your form is good and just keep working at it. On every compound exercise, the weakest area will limit you, especially early on. Stay the course. You will get better.
  • mamasmaltz3
    mamasmaltz3 Posts: 1,111 Member
    Options
    Sounds like a form issue. You may want to lower the weight on the bar and work on it. A video would help. Even if you don't post the video on here videoing yourself to see what you're doing is extremely helpful. I wouldn't rely on looking in a mirror. Try and get a video from the side and front. Make sure that your entire body, including feet, are in the video.
  • hrtchoco
    hrtchoco Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    I highly suggest watching some videos on how to squat properly. Your form is for sure off.
  • Ironmaiden4life
    Ironmaiden4life Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    Do you squat high or low bar? As well as addressing other form issues that may be contributing. You may need to experiment with bar position and hand position.

If you're having issues with dumbbells as well start working on your grip strength. Farmers Walks, Reverse Curls, Plate Pinches, Towel Hangs progressing to towel pull ups, Barbell Wrist Curls, Barbell Reverse Wrist Curls all help with forearm and grip.
  • SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member
    Options
    squats are a full body workout. make sure your form is right, Let the rest of your body catch up.
  • stephxo1
    stephxo1 Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    Do you squat high or low bar? As well as addressing other form issues that may be contributing. You may need to experiment with bar position and hand position.

If you're having issues with dumbbells as well start working on your grip strength. Farmers Walks, Reverse Curls, Plate Pinches, Towel Hangs progressing to towel pull ups, Barbell Wrist Curls, Barbell Reverse Wrist Curls all help with forearm and grip.

^^^ This! Plus work on those traps, they are what supports the bar if you're doing high bar squats after all. Deadlifts will help to strengthen your back so make sure you're doing these alongside squats too and it'll all make a difference to your squat strength. And who doesn't love a strong back?!?
  • Hausisse1
    Hausisse1 Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    Hm, thank you all! Would a video of me squatting without a weight help you guys tell me what's wrong with my form? Or would you need me to go to the gym and get one with the barbell?
  • IsaackGMOON
    IsaackGMOON Posts: 3,358 Member
    Options
    Hausisse1 wrote: »
    Hm, thank you all! Would a video of me squatting without a weight help you guys tell me what's wrong with my form? Or would you need me to go to the gym and get one with the barbell?

Do it with a weight where the problem would be present, preferably.
  • Hausisse1
    Options

Do it with a weight where the problem would be present, preferably.

Okay, I can probably get that!
  • bupacks
    bupacks Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Elliot Hulse (strength coach) on YouTube gives phenomenal advice on form regarding lower body exercises
  • Hausisse1
    Options
    I feel I should mention that the biggest issue for me seems to be the actual act of getting the weight atop my shoulders. And when I hold dumbbells by my sides my arms get too tired, though I feel like my legs could support more. Does this in fact sound like my arms just aren't strong enough yet? (I'll still get a video of me in the next few days though)
  • Hausisse1
    edited August 2015
    Options
    bupacks wrote: »
    Elliot Hulse (strength coach) on YouTube gives phenomenal advice on form regarding lower body exercises

I'll check that out, thank you!
  • ExRelaySprinter
    ExRelaySprinter Posts: 874 Member
    Options
    I feel I should mention that the biggest issue for me seems to be the actual act of getting the weight atop my shoulders.

I can't do squats with the weight on the back of my shoulders either, but why not try doing Front squats or Zercher squats? (For a Zercher squat, you'll need to use a padded Barbell)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K4ZqhPxsGU8
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JiAmqNV15xU
  • Hausisse1
    Options
    I feel I should mention that the biggest issue for me seems to be the actual act of getting the weight atop my shoulders.

I can't do squats with the weight on the back of my shoulders either, but why not try doing Front squats or Zercher squats? (For a Zercher squat, you'll need to use a padded Barbell)

Awesome suggestion, thank you! What if there's no padded barbell at my gym? Can I buy something that will cushion it?
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options

Awesome suggestion, thank you! What if there's no padded barbell at my gym? Can I buy something that will cushion it?

you don't NEED a pad for the barbell to do Zerchers- it's just not real fun- But I know a girl who did them close to 200 pounds with no bad. So - it's doable.

Ideally you should just fix your back squat though.
  • piperdown44
    piperdown44 Posts: 958 Member
    Options
    Could be form, could be a weak upper back.
    When the weights got heavy I noticed I was starting to collapse a bit in the upper rear back area. After posting some vids I got feedback on strengthening the upper back. Rows (all variations), lat pulldown, chin-ups helped a lot. Did take a while to build the strength in my upper back ~ 12 weeks.
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    I'm guessing you aren't putting it on the right spot on your back. It really shouldn't be "on your shoulders". It should be on your lat muscles, but I think it's possible that you don't have enough lat muscles to really create that "pad" and it's resting on your shoulders.
  • No_Finish_Line
    No_Finish_Line Posts: 3,661 Member
    Options
    a lot of people will just roll a towel over the bar a bunch of times as a pad, but I'm sure you could buy your own if you wanted. I've been to some really *kitten* gyms, and they always had a Velcro pad you could slip over the bar.

Is it just uncomfortable? or you actually feel like your muscle strength is giving out. IMO, you really shouldn't feel much of any muscle strain in your arms. someone mentioned hand placement. I know that if my hands are too close to my shoulders then they do seem to almost take up a bit of the weight and definitely makes everything around my shoulders tighter then it needs to be.

experiment with slightly adjusting hand placement.