HRM... To buy or not to???

Options
I have been looking at getting a TimexT5G971 Unisex heart rate monitor to more closely monitor my calories burned, but I was just wondering if a HRM is worth the money? I have never owned one, but I plan (starting today) on trying to burn more calories throughout each day. I know that my calories comsumed are right on in my diary, but some of the exercises I do I have to guess at what on the list is close to them... Those of you with a HRM, have you compared your cals burned vs. MFP exercise diary cals burned? Are they close or not? I just think if I knew for sure how many cals I burn maybe it might inspire me to work even harder.

Replies

• jrich1
    jrich1 Posts: 2,408 Member
    Options
    I have a Polar FT7 HRM and my readings are WAY OFF from what MFP exercise diary estimates, the webpage is really really high in its estimates
  • jaimejean478
    jaimejean478 Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    YES! Invest in one! (WITH a chest strap!) I bought a Polar Ft4 in March - best investment for my weight loss. I found that I wasn't burning as many calories as MFP was saying. The worst offenders were for elliptical workouts and using circuit training for the 30 Day Shred.

Eye opening, yet refreshing.... worth every penny!!
  • mhadams2668
    mhadams2668 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I love!!!! mine! I have the mio shpe but it is a bit old and want to upgrade. It is definitely worth it . The calorie estimates are I find very off and this is the only way to really know.
  • bluiz13
    bluiz13 Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    I have a Polar FT7 HRM and my readings are WAY OFF from what MFP exercise diary estimates, the webpage is really really high in its estimates

i too have the polar ft7 and love it.....best tool i have purchased while on my journey besides good sneaks with inserts...
  • alison2429
    alison2429 Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    MFP underestimates way too much! I have a Polar FT7 and it calculates approx one third lower than MFP. It is accurate tho cos when I run up hill it detects even the slightest increase in my heart rate. Once you get used to it it's fine.
    Good luck.

Best wishes

Alison
  • kjb0976
    kjb0976 Posts: 68
    Options
    BUY it!! I LOVE LOVE LOVE my polar! It will not only count the calories more accurately, but when you are slacking, your heart rate monitor will show it. Then you push yourself harder!
  • l3ugjuice
    l3ugjuice Posts: 233
    Options
    Worth every penny, IMO. Lots of people seem to love the Polar HRM, so based upon the reviews I've read here it appears to be a solid choice. I use a bodymedia FIT. Costly, but worth it IMO. Just so much easier to track calories when you are pretty accurate vs. wild guessing.

That's the thing that gets me with all the 'eat your calories back' threads that get started on a daily basis; half the people are basing their eating habits on assumptions about calorie burn rather than real numbers...
  • erisfreenici
    erisfreenici Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    I got a HRM, and after a few workouts, I discovered that MFP overestimated on some things and underestimated on others. A very good investment IMHO.
  • CassieLEO
    CassieLEO Posts: 757 Member
    Options

i too have the polar ft7 and love it.....best tool i have purchased while on my journey besides good sneaks with inserts...

Me too!!!! I looooove my FT7!!!!!!
  • LynnieSkinny
    Options
    Thanks everyone who replied! I do believe I will be ordering a HRM, I do want a more accurate count of cals burned and it sounds like MFP does it's best, but is pretty far off. I will mostly be doing walking/jogging and 30 day shred this month, so I'm glad to know that it may be more useful to have :)
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    I have been looking at getting a TimexT5G971 Unisex heart rate monitor to more closely monitor my calories burned, but I was just wondering if a HRM is worth the money? I have never owned one, but I plan (starting today) on trying to burn more calories throughout each day. I know that my calories comsumed are right on in my diary, but some of the exercises I do I have to guess at what on the list is close to them... Those of you with a HRM, have you compared your cals burned vs. MFP exercise diary cals burned? Are they close or not? I just think if I knew for sure how many cals I burn maybe it might inspire me to work even harder.

I would buy an HRM but not this particular one as I had this one and I can tell you from experience that the calorie burn is way off and not accurate at all.

After I returned it, I bought a Polar FT7 which is much better.
  • trishlambert
    trishlambert Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    I am using an ePulse2, no chest strap. I wear it on the inside of my arm just below the elbow joint. I trust it because the heart rate readings I get are consistent with my level of activity. So glad I got it!