ACL injury and losing weight?

Options
2»

Replies

• lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    Options
    Do you need surgery to fix your ACL, or is PT going to take care of it? I have a different kind of ACL injury; my ACL is fine, but it tore the bone where it inserts. I did not need surgery. Along with following my doctor's instructions about rest and permissible exercise, I've been having rapid improvement with these exercises.
    http://www.knee-pain-explained.com/knee-strengthening-exercises.html#quads
  • madeleineld
    madeleineld Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    When I tore my ACL, I ended up getting in the best shape of my life through PT. If you're working hard at PT and eating at a deficit, you'll do great.
  • bree3462
    bree3462 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I completely torn my ACL and it's gone so I have scheduled my surgery and it's August 14th. Wish me luck! And thanks for all the tips and advice :smiley:
  • azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,195 Member
    Options
    bree3462 wrote: »
    tomatoey wrote: »
    I'm supposed to be signed up for physical therapy but haven't yet. Having 3 kids I'm busy as it is lol.

It's not optional.

Go to PT, do PT, get functional again.

I had the same injury ten years ago. I never did have surgery, but I did 6 months of hard physical therapy, 6 months of less intense therapy and I continue to do the special knee exercises. Alternating high and low-impact workouts helps in the long run.

I still baby it a bit, but other than running long distances, it doesn't limit me much.

I'll hopefully do it soon. My summer is busy enough. Surgery is definitely happening for me in fall. If I didn't have 3 toddlers I'd be at physical therapy everyday

You were looking for workouts to help you lose weight, though - you have time for those, but not PT exercises? You could go to your PT once a week, or even once a month, get your exercises and do them at home.

I completely understand being way more motivated to lose weight and fit into great clothes than to do PT exerciaes. (Believe me, I know - I hate doing them myself, nothing more boring). But if you don't take a proactive role in your joint health, you're not going to get the kind of outcomes that will allow you to do real workouts later. Or to *fully* participate in other activities you care about that make life worthwhile. Or even just routine activities at home and work. I would try to avoid limiting options for your future self as much a possible.

I've got ACL exercises off the net that I'm doing at home. A physical therapist in my area isn't going to do anymore than that for me.

That's really not a great idea! I hope that you aren't making things worse.
  • bree3462
    Options
    I'm supposed to be signed up for physical therapy but haven't yet. Having 3 kids I'm busy as it is lol.

It's not optional.

I had the same injury ten years ago. I never did have surgery, but I did 6 months of hard physical therapy, 6 months of less intense therapy and I continue to do the special knee exercises. Alternating high and low-impact workouts helps in the long run.

I still baby it a bit, but other than running long distances, it doesn't limit me much.

I'll hopefully do it soon. My summer is busy enough. Surgery is definitely happening for me in fall. If I didn't have 3 toddlers I'd be at physical therapy everyday

You were looking for workouts to help you lose weight, though - you have time for those, but not PT exercises? You could go to your PT once a week, or even once a month, get your exercises and do them at home.

I completely understand being way more motivated to lose weight and fit into great clothes than to do PT exerciaes. (Believe me, I know - I hate doing them myself, nothing more boring). But if you don't take a proactive role in your joint health, you're not going to get the kind of outcomes that will allow you to do real workouts later. Or to *fully* participate in other activities you care about that make life worthwhile. Or even just routine activities at home and work. I would try to avoid limiting options for your future self as much a possible.

I've got ACL exercises off the net that I'm doing at home. A physical therapist in my area isn't going to do anymore than that for me.

Well the only thing physical therapists in my area do is print off exercises for you to do at home. So I'm doing the same thing they would. They didn't help my mom at all when she went to physical therapy.
  • tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,446 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options

It's not optional.

Well the only thing physical therapists in my area do is print off exercises for you to do at home. So I'm doing the same thing they would. They didn't help my mom at all when she went to physical therapy.

PTs don't just "print off exercises from the internet". They do an assessment first to see exactly which exercises your particular body & ACL need.

Saying that, there are better and worse PTs, that's true.
  • Coolhandkid
    Coolhandkid Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Prioritize your health. Young people don't get the long term damage they do by not taking care of problems just so they can maintain their daily routines. In 20 years you are going to try to find a time machine to go back to now and kick your own @ss.

Get a Dr. Go to PT. Put in the work, make it better.

I say this as someone who made some of these very mistakes.
  • lesliedias22
    lesliedias22 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Looks like some of you need to find yourselves a good physiotherapist/athletic therapist (or athletic trainer if you're American).

Don't let one bad health professional ruin it for the rest of them. Some of these comments are pure bs.
  • 325dragonflies
    325dragonflies Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I have a torn ACL (for about 6 years now because I'm too chicken for surgery) but I will say there are things I still do, but with caution and a knee brace. I love Zumba but have to watch some of the leg work and just modify it a bit. There are still times just turning in my chair in my office I push wrong with my leg and my tibia snaps out of place and back in. It's mostly when you pivot and push your leg. I personally stay away from too much jumping as well. Walking is fine. Cycling is supposed to be the easiest on it. As you move forward you will gain your own sense of stability to feel what you can or can't do. (I apologize if I am rambling- I just woke up with a headache lol) just be careful
  • bree3462
    Options
    I have a torn ACL (for about 6 years now because I'm too chicken for surgery) but I will say there are things I still do, but with caution and a knee brace. I love Zumba but have to watch some of the leg work and just modify it a bit. There are still times just turning in my chair in my office I push wrong with my leg and my tibia snaps out of place and back in. It's mostly when you pivot and push your leg. I personally stay away from too much jumping as well. Walking is fine. Cycling is supposed to be the easiest on it. As you move forward you will gain your own sense of stability to feel what you can or can't do. (I apologize if I am rambling- I just woke up with a headache lol) just be careful

Thank you. My surgery is on August 14th. I tore my ACL in may. So it's only been 3 months for me. I'm already getting shooting pain and signs of arthritis in it. I can't imagine waiting 6 years! I'm very nervous for my surgery. Hopefully it goes okay.
  • vivrevotrevie
    vivrevotrevie Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Girl! I am in the exact same boat as you! Tore my ACL and both meniscus end of July. Hoping to schedule a surgery for Sept. Glad to see this thread!
  • bree3462
    Options
    G
    Girl! I am in the exact same boat as you! Tore my ACL and both meniscus end of July. Hoping to schedule a surgery for Sept. Glad to see this thread!

Good luck with your surgery! I had mine 8 days ago and it was super painful!!! And now all I do is eat and lay around while trying to take care of my kids. Not fun.
  • Snowhappens
    Snowhappens Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    It gets better! I'm 4.5 weeks post surgery and am moving around pretty well - back to the gym with limitations. Post surgery the nerve block was really helpful with pain for me. Getting out of surgery sucked though.
  • AJLovinLife
    AJLovinLife Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Hope your recovery is going well. It is really hard with kids to make time for yourself and get to PT but keep it up. :) I had my 4th ACL reconstruction (3rd for this leg) back in December. This one has been the slowest recovery of them (prob because of my age) all but I feel pretty good now. Add me as a friend if you would like some support from someone who has been there done that a few times.