Did I ruin my metabolism?

Options
coralp123
coralp123 Posts: 30 Member
edited August 2015 in Food and Nutrition
Hey guys this is going to have a bit of TMI but I'm worried I've messed my metabolism up...
So basically I have been eating healthy for over a year since having my second child last May and have lost 50lb, I followed no diet plan or calorie counter just ate as healthy as possible.
Then I hit a brick wall and the weight stopped coming off, a friend told me about this app I already had an account I never used so I started using it and logging what I was eating, SHOCKER I definitely have not been eating my recommended 1200 kcals for the last year probably more around 800-900 give or take treats. Now I've been "on it" for a few week with the calorie counting, eating the appropriate Amount and my stomach that I was so proud of getting "nearly flat" has been bloated for days, I'm devastated, now for TMI, I just got my monthly today and I'm hoping that's the cause but I don't usually bloat like this and ive got myself worried that now I'm eating the "proper" amount of kcals which is more than I used to do I'm actually gaining weight, I hope you was able to follow that, yours in despair, coral x

Replies

• antennachick
    antennachick Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    As long as you are eatting healthy more calories...for instance non fat yogurt is going to be better then a bowl of ice cream. Eat lean and clean and you will be fine. 800-900 is definitely too low. You bloating can be due to your period or foods you eat. Even healthy foods cauae bloat (raw veggies, beans, whole wheat)
  • verymissk
    verymissk Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    Did you change the THINGS you were eating? Or just start eating more of the healthy foods? And what are the 'healthy' foods you're eating?

I'm not totally comfortable discussing the science around what may happen when you go from being on a Very Low Calorie Diet to a more 'normal' diet, (I'm just not that well versed) but I think some bloating and maybe a small amount of weight gain could be normal.... but as long as you continue eating at a slight deficit or right at a maintenance level (and it could take some time to find out exactly what that number is), you won't gain a bunch of weight or anything like that.

Either way, I just really wanted to see myself talk on the internet for a moment, and I'm sure someone much smarter than me is replying as we speak.
  • coralp123
    Options
    Yes I eat healthily normally In a typical day I eat fruit and yoghurt for breakfast with a coffee or have a meal replacement shake (purely because I'm not a breakfast person) then I'll have fruit snack, then I have a salad for lunch with Turkey/chicken or whatever we have in maybe even a baked potato then I'll snack on rice cakes or a few weighed nuts and seeds then I have a healthy tea meat/fish vegetables/salad and in the evening if I'm in a snacking mood I'll have a bag of low kcal diet crisps maybe Greek yoghurt with frozen fruit if I'm feeling like I need something more substantial. God I hope this doesn't make me gain weight I've worked my butt off to loose x
  • Ironmaiden4life
    Ironmaiden4life Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    If you've been consistently eating that low for a year the chances are you'll experience a little rebound and may see the scale rise a little. Don't panic and do not go back to starving yourself, things will even out once your body has settled down which may take a couple of weeks. Chances are the bloat is glycogen and water weight as you're now eating in a more sensible calorie range. Don't get hung up on jumping on the scale everyday, just keep the calories sensible, let your body find it's normal and trust in the process.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    coralp123 wrote: »
    Hey guys this is going to have a bit of TMI but I'm worried I've messed my metabolism up...

You didn't.

• coralp123
    Options
    Thanks guys x
  • vikki2124
    vikki2124 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    You may gain initially but once you get your metabolism firing again and continue with the healthy foods it will start to come off . Get your TDEE and work from there. Also you don't mention any exercise ?? Maybe add that in ?
  • coralp123
    Options
    Thanks for your response @vikki2124 Sorry what TDEE? I workout at least 5 times a week normally about 30-40 mins cardio and 30 mins weights per session I have been trying to up my cardio but to be honest I find it such a chore x
  • eyeofnewt555
    eyeofnewt555 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Google "reverse dieting" and "metabolic damage/repair." It usually applies to bodybuilders, but is relevant for people who've been undereating for an extended period of time.

The gist of the articles that will pop up from those Google searches is to add calories back in slowly (~100 or less/week) until you're at your goal intake.

And not to panic if your weight temporarily goes up. It's a slow, slow process, but an important one.

Check out the "eat more to weigh less" website. They've got a forum too. Not as active as mfp, but there may be something helpful for you there.

And last but not least, ignore all the folks on here who deny the effects of metabolic damage. They'll try to tell you that you're just eating more than you think. Do independent research and ignore them.
  • eyeofnewt555
    eyeofnewt555 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    coralp123 wrote: »
    Thanks for your response @vikki2124 Sorry what TDEE? I workout at least 5 times a week normally about 30-40 mins cardio and 30 mins weights per session I have been trying to up my cardio but to be honest I find it such a chore x

I'm no expert, but in your case (which was basically my case a few months ago), I would actually lower the cardio and up the strength. You seem to be caught in the "eat less--exercise more--lower metabolism" cycle. Upping weight training and calories can break you out of it.
  • coralp123
    Options
    Thanks so much @eyeofnewt555 I will definitely look into that, it's just so disheartening the thought of gaining even a few lb that i have worked my butt off to get off, I know it's got to be done but still :( x