Is the fitbit worth it? And if so, which one?

I've been looking into getting a fitbit, but being on a tight budget makes these decisions harder. Has anyone found them to be really useful, and worth the money? Any input would be helpful. Thanks!

Replies

• doglover485
    doglover485 Posts: 58 Member
    if you have an iphone there's really no need for a fitbit

just use the health app on your iphone (if you have one) i have a fitbit charge and an iphone and i've found the iphone to be just as accurate as the fitbit in tracking steps, calories burned, etc

• doomah2014
    doomah2014 Posts: 6 Member
    Fitbits are cool toys, but totally not necessary. At their core they are pedometers, and even if you don't have an iPhone with a built in pedometer, there are other, cheaper devices on the market. Getting fit and healthy doesn't have to cost a lot of money.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    If you read the first three or four pages of the forum you'll be able to see a lot of is a Fitbit worth it posts.

The observation I'd make is that most responses are along the lines of I've got x and love it, that doesn't really address the is it worth it question.

Personally I don't see a compelling reason. My tracker doesn't tell me anything I don't know already.

As budget is an issue, I'd say not to bother.
  • Catewinter
    Catewinter Posts: 2 Member
    So I am dealing with the issue of actually LINKING my pedometer-recorded steps with myfitnesspal or finding a way to manually record the steps in myfitnesspal. My android phone is too cumbersome to try around all the time even though there are so many pedometer apps. Any advice?
  • ScubaSteve1962
    ScubaSteve1962 Posts: 612 Member
    edited August 2015
    jmh0979 wrote: »
    I've been looking into getting a fitbit, but being on a tight budget makes these decisions harder. Has anyone found them to be really useful, and worth the money? Any input would be helpful. Thanks!

Is it worth it? That's a question only you can answer. My HRM is worth to me, so that makes everyone else's opinion irrelevant. I don't have fit bit, but I'm sure many of those that do find them worth it for whatever reason, some say they motivate them to move more, or eat less by their estimated calorie burn. Here's a link to look at more pedometers that may fit better in your budget.

Phones will work if you carry it on you all the time, but that wouldn't work for me, I don't keep mine on me like that. You have to figure out what's the best method for you.

http://www.heartratemonitorsusa.com/pedometer-download.html
  • emmaleeannL
    emmaleeannL Posts: 17 Member
    I have the Charge HR. I am most interested in the HR function. I would not say it's worth it without that.
  • YorriaRaine
    YorriaRaine Posts: 370 Member
    If you financially can't afford it then it's never worth it because the only things you NEED to succeed on mfp is Internet access and a cheap food scale. However, it and devices like it can be good motivators. In the end though all they provide you is data and you have to decide what you want to do with the data and if that will be enough to make you more aware and motivate you.

I have the one and I like it because I don't have to wear it on my wrist, and it can easily be out in a pocket, clipped to a belt or bra. Etsy has nice handmade things for it including better clips and sleep bands and such.
  • midwestdawn
    midwestdawn Posts: 60 Member
    If you're simply interested in tracking daily steps taken, you can buy a pedometer for $25. It won't have the bells and whistles of a fitbit but it can still help you increase your daily activity.
  • rushfive
    rushfive Posts: 603 Member
    I have the fitbit charge hr... is it worth it? to me yes.... but 20 years ago, NO.
    It is not necessary, it may help me lose weight a little bit, but if I couldn't afford to get one, I wouldn't.
    It all comes down to money and how You want to spend it.... necessities first, bills, food, shelter, etc... if you are having trouble paying those bills, do not spend money on Wants..
    Just my opinion.
  • bomftdrum
    bomftdrum Posts: 270 Member
    Do you have to have one to lose weight? Absolutely not. For me, it was worth it. The sleep tracker really helps me seeing how much rest I get. I also have a job where I am on the move a lot and the hr gives me a good estimate on what I burn daily without having to use my chest strap hrm. I love having as much info as I can and the charge hr gives me that. For me, the more info I have, the more I accurate I can be.
  • janiep81
    janiep81 Posts: 248 Member
    Worth it for me - but with a caveat: I have an older model Jawbone UP that cost like $40. I don't know if $150 for a new fitbit to be worth it.

I am on my feet a lot and walk a lot at work. It helps me stay motivated to go out of my way to get extra steps. I am also not as tempted to overthink or overcompensate exercise (and thus burn myself out) because I get 10,000+ steps most days. I enjoy seeing how my friends are doing in the app and I enjoy the little motivational posts from the app.

And for me, it is vastly different than my steps tracked in my smartphone (iphone health app). Jawbone is much more accurate.
  • erimethia_fekre
    erimethia_fekre Posts: 317 Member

just use the health app on your iphone (if you have one) i have a fitbit charge and an iphone and i've found the iphone to be just as accurate as the fitbit in tracking steps, calories burned, etc

I don't get how that works.
  • ohmscheeks
    ohmscheeks Posts: 840 Member
    edited August 2015
    I love my fitbit. But, if I was on a tight budget, I would not purchase one... It is definitely not a "omgz must haz".
  • ScubaSteve1962
    lmaharidge wrote: »

I don't get how that works.
    How is the iphone able to track steps? Also how does the fitbit know your activity?
    I had a polar watch previously but I found the chest strap annoying while exercising, and wearing it all day would be uncomfortable but I would like to know how many calories I burn over all each day.

You have to have it with you at all times. The fitbit tracks your steps/activity.

• lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    You have to have a newer iphone for steps. Mine goes not. And yes you would have to have it with you. It won't count steps sitting on your desk. ;)
  • ScubaSteve1962
    Does that mean you have to hold the iphone all day?? I just don't get how it works. With the polar watch, the chest strap measures heart rate so that makes sense to me.

You have to have it somewhere on your body IE: pocket, clipped, bra.
    I don't know how the fitbits work, but measuring heart rate with a polar product all day will give you an over estimated calorie burn, they are better with steady state. The Polar activity monitors are better for all day calorie burn as you only wear the sensor when exercising and estimates the other by your walking/activity and bmr based on your Vo2 level.

• editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    jmh0979 wrote: »

Fitbit Zip is US$60. You can probably find a used Fitbit on Craigslist. Or ask your friends & family if anyone has one they're not using.

When you connect your accounts, MFP adjusts your daily calorie goal to TDEE minus deficit. (I personally wouldn't waste my money on anything that doesn't sync with MFP.) Fitbit challenges are great motivation—and fun.

You can learn more in the Fitbit Users group: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/1290-fitbit-users