WEIGHT TRAINING FOR WOMEN

Options
Hello everybody :)
I've began to search about how to get fit and i've discovered that a good way to reach this goal is weight training.
I've seen some photos of "fitness stars" on Instagram and i've noticed that weight training makes a "bigger butt" but my goal is to have a smaller one. I'm not fat infact my doctor told me i have a good body fat percentage, my measurements are 60 cm (waist) 94 cm ( hips).
What can i do ? Is still weight training good for me?

Replies

• Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Weight training is good for everyone

Go for it
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    Weight training is good for everyone

Go for it

This
  • AsISmile
    AsISmile Posts: 1,004 Member
    Options
    There are specific exercises for training the glutes (butt). If you don't want to train those specifically, avoid glute bridges and hip thrusts.
  • Reborn1996
    Reborn1996 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    AsISmile wrote: »
    There are specific exercises for training the glutes (butt). If you don't want to train those specifically, avoid glute bridges and hip thrusts.
    Ok Thank you for your advises :) do you lift weights?
  • Reborn1996
    Options
    What normally weight training do?
    Is makes your muscles bigger ? Because i would like to loose inches from my waist. The problem is that my hips are 94 cm not because of the fat. I was born like this, since i had 8 years old im a pear shape.
  • SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member
    Options
    weight training will not give you a "bigger butt" it will give you a shaped butt. look at pics of girls that lift weights, they dont have big butts, they have shaped, toned butts. Do all the glute exercises as part of your program, they are good for you.
  • Reborn1996
    Options
    I really Thank you :) you are giving me motivaton im so happy :)
  • rileyes
    rileyes Posts: 1,406 Member
    Options
    SonyaCele wrote: »
    weight training will not give you a "bigger butt" it will give you a shaped butt. look at pics of girls that lift weights, they dont have big butts, they have shaped, toned butts. Do all the glute exercises as part of your program, they are good for you.

This^ You won't get a big *kitten* butt. You can build the muscle to help make a flat butt lift into a nice round one.

And glutes are a part of the core. A strong core is the foundation for lifting heavy and can help with your posture.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Reborn1996 wrote: »
    What normally weight training do?
    Is makes your muscles bigger ? Because i would like to loose inches from my waist. The problem is that my hips are 94 cm not because of the fat. I was born like this, since i had 8 years old im a pear shape.

(Progressive) weight training makes you stronger. Eating in caloric excess while weight training makes your muscles bigger. There is a certain amount of water retention that happens with weight training, even while in a deficit, but I can't remember ever seeing an MFP thread by a person who was upset about her glutes seeming bigger while eating in a deficit.
  • AsISmile
    AsISmile Posts: 1,004 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options

Not yet. I will start strong curves, a program with a focus on glutes, next month.

I disagree. If someone had no but, not just unshaped, but hardly any, glute exercises can give you a big butt compared to what you had.
    Anyway, in my advice assumed OP did take a good look at shaped butts, and that it was not something she liked, which is okay. (She said she looked at instagram pictures). Especially as she doesn't necessarily have much fat to lose.
    Like I said earlier this post, I'm starting strong curves soon, personally I'm completely pro glute exercises. This post just reminds me on the debulk post that is also currently actve in this forum. It linked to a great blog from Bret Contreras on this subject. Although thinking back to his post, I remember his advice being to train heavy to the point it the muscle starts becoming too much for their taste, and then switch to same exercise but lower weight and more reps. I guess I should have recommended that instead.

ETA: link to the article I mention
    http://bretcontreras.com/how-to-attain-a-slender-look-like-jessica-alba-zoe-saldana/
  • Reborn1996
    Options

Not yet. I will start strong curves, a program with a focus on glutes, next month.

I disagree. If someone had no but, not just unshaped, but hardly any, glute exercises can give you a big butt compared to what you had.
    Anyway, in my advice assumed OP did take a good look at shaped butts, and that it was not something she liked, which is okay. (She said she looked at instagram pictures). Especially as she doesn't necessarily have much fat to lose.
    Like I said earlier this post, I'm starting strong curves soon, personally I'm completely pro glute exercises. This post just reminds me on the debulk post that is also currently actve in this forum. It linked to a great blog from Bret Contreras on this subject. Although thinking back to his post, I remember his advice being to train heavy to the point it the muscle starts becoming too much for their taste, and then switch to same exercise but lower weight and more reps. I guess I should have recommended that instead.

ETA: link to the article I mention
    http://bretcontreras.com/how-to-attain-a-slender-look-like-jessica-alba-zoe-saldana/

I did not want to say that i dont like the pictures, my worry is to get bigger glutes but i want to have shaped lower body infact i would like to underline that my hips are 94 cm.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Damn I wish it was that easy to round out my butt

But it is going to take lots of hard work and lots of time and a concerted focus on my diet and lifts ...I'm a woman ...building muscle as a woman is hard as hell...it's not going to happen by accident
  • Reborn1996
    Options
    I know and im collecting money ti get a personal trainer Who will teach me how to the exercises :)
    Ive also noticed that a lot of instagram "fitness stars" started with flat glutes, my glutes arent... I am worried about the result ( nicki minaj effect).
  • Ironmaiden4life
    Ironmaiden4life Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    Trust me most of your tush is fat and once you start peeling that off there's no where near as much muscle as you think, your concerns about it getting bigger aren't an issue.
  • Reborn1996
    Options
    It could
    Trust me most of your tush is fat and once you start peeling that off there's no where near as much muscle as you think, your concerns about it getting bigger aren't an issue.
    I hope so... Because i think my body stores the majority of the fat in my lower body as my upperbody is very thin :)

• scrittrice
    scrittrice Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    Rather than looking at Instagram, check out the amazing changes to all kinds of women's bodies on this very site:
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/977538/halp-heavy-lifting-made-me-supah-bulky/p1
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1045433/women-lifting-heavy-with-pics#latest
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/948109/progress-photos/p1

Most women are pear-shaped (albeit to a greater or lesser degree). As you can see in the above threads and many, many more on the subject, the progress is gradual. If you decide you don't like what's happening to your body, stop and change course. Your butt will not suddenly expand to twice its size overnight. Nor can you, sadly, get rid of the fat you want to get rid of and keep the fat you like.

I'm pear-shaped, too, and I think my progress is fairly typical. My waist got smaller almost immediately. After a few months of lifting heavy and eating at a tiny deficit, my upper body got a little more muscular (which I like, as it balances out the bottom better now). Only after 7 months of hard, hard work did I see the slightest change (likely invisible to anyone else!) in my bottom half, i.e., my saddlebags look a tiny bit smaller. My butt is higher and firmer, but I don't think it has changed size at all. (It's really difficult to see your own backside, though, unless you have a store fitting-room mirror in your house.)

I would also add this: When I'm flexing, you can see a fair amount of muscle on my body, but since I don't stand around flexing all the time (that's for private moments in front of the bathroom mirror!), most people have no clue that I'm built this way. More often I get compliments on how slim I am and people saying that I look young for my age (closing in fast on 50).
  • Reborn1996
    Options
    scrittrice wrote: »
    Rather than looking at Instagram, check out the amazing changes to all kinds of women's bodies on this very site:
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/977538/halp-heavy-lifting-made-me-supah-bulky/p1
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1045433/women-lifting-heavy-with-pics#latest
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/948109/progress-photos/p1

Most women are pear-shaped (albeit to a greater or lesser degree). As you can see in the above threads and many, many more on the subject, the progress is gradual. If you decide you don't like what's happening to your body, stop and change course. Your butt will not suddenly expand to twice its size overnight. Nor can you, sadly, get rid of the fat you want to get rid of and keep the fat you like.

I'm pear-shaped, too, and I think my progress is fairly typical. My waist got smaller almost immediately. After a few months of lifting heavy and eating at a tiny deficit, my upper body got a little more muscular (which I like, as it balances out the bottom better now). Only after 7 months of hard, hard work did I see the slightest change (likely invisible to anyone else!) in my bottom half, i.e., my saddlebags look a tiny bit smaller. My butt is higher and firmer, but I don't think it has changed size at all. (It's really difficult to see your own backside, though, unless you have a store fitting-room mirror in your house.)

I would also add this: When I'm flexing, you can see a fair amount of muscle on my body, but since I don't stand around flexing all the time (that's for private moments in front of the bathroom mirror!), most people have no clue that I'm built this way. More often I get compliments on how slim I am and people saying that I look young for my age (closing in fast on 50).

So no one can decide how to be. Gens do.
  • Immerito
    Immerito Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Check out Starting Strength, Stronglifts, New Rules of Lifting for Women and Strong Curves. Best wishes!
  • Reborn1996
    Options

Immerito wrote: »
    Check out Starting Strength, Stronglifts, New Rules of Lifting for Women and Strong Curves. Best wishes!

what are these?:)
  • rileyes
    rileyes Posts: 1,406 Member
    Options
    Weight lifting programs.