How's your Poo???

Options

Replies

• Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    If you've drastically dropped your calories, it could be that. Just the amount of food you eat has an effect on pooping. Anorexics are infamous for trouble pooping. They lie around, starving, not getting much exercise and they eat next to nothing. So, they have trouble pooping. Sooo many if them start taking laxatives just to be able to go. Very dangerous. Do go there!

If you're not eating enough fiber, it could be that. Fiber is helpful in that area. Fruits and veggies have good amounts of fiber. If you don't have them in your diet and begin including them, you may be happily surprised at how helpful they are in that area. Many people find that dates and prunes help them poop.

It could also be unrelated to your diet. There is no possible way we could know.

Call the doctor. If you aren't eating a balanced diet with a normal amount of healthy foods, start doing that.

Drink water.

Get daily exercise.

Good luck!!!
  • judiness101
    judiness101 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I'm also quite constipated even though I eat a lot of fiber. Turns out I upped my protein by a lot and cut back too much on the fat. I'm eating more fat again and everything is fine.

I would suggest to change your MFP settings to see how much fiber you are getting and drink a lot of water.
  • booksandchocolate12
    booksandchocolate12 Posts: 1,741 Member
    Options
    I would love to be the doctor whose patient calls whenever there's a poo-related change.

Cha-ching!
  • Jillish23
    Jillish23 Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    Google the term "Bristol stool chart" and this might help with your 'situation'. :)
  • Shells918
    Shells918 Posts: 1,070 Member
    Options
    I was eating a ton of fruit and drinking a lot of water an I have "poo" issues. I'm on a very low carb diet so the fruit is decreasing a lot. It sucks and can get very uncomfortable. I have to take a lot of laxatives for satisfaction. Not fun.
  • dinosaurparty
    dinosaurparty Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    Haha you're not alone! Mine is the same :( I only seem to be able to have healthy poos when my diet is not-so-healthy. I'm also suddenly gassier than normal? It's super lame.

I'm not sure how to fix it. I eat fruits and veggies (not starchy ones) with every meal, and I'm paying really close attention to my water intake. Maybe our bodies just need time to readjust?
  • daniwilford
    daniwilford Posts: 1,030 Member
    Options
    I had a similar issue when I recently changed my diet for medical reasons. Fiber was the key, 35 grams a day keeps me clean and regular. I added Chia seeds to my nightly salad if I was running low on fiber.
  • _The_Lone_Wolf_
    _The_Lone_Wolf_ Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    its all good
    giphy.gif
  • OldAssDude
    OldAssDude Posts: 1,436 Member
    Options
    darlswife wrote: »
    I was eating a ton of fruit and drinking a lot of water an I have "poo" issues. I'm on a very low carb diet so the fruit is decreasing a lot. It sucks and can get very uncomfortable. I have to take a lot of laxatives for satisfaction. Not fun.

There is actually a poop chart.

OMFG...hahahahaha
  • booksandchocolate12
    Options
    Mine are somewhere between Type 3 and Type 4. Because I know you were all wondering.
  • OldAssDude
    OldAssDude Posts: 1,436 Member
    Options
    Behold:
    bristol_stool_chart.gif

The Bristol Stool Chart, used by the medical community.

Sauté with peppers and onions, and serve with a side of pee pee.
  • Kalikel
    Options
    I would love to be the doctor whose patient calls whenever there's a poo-related change.

Cha-ching!
    There are doctors who spend most of their days dealing with such things.

If you want to do it, there is nothing stopping you. Take the MCAT.
  • booksandchocolate12
    Options
    Kalikel wrote: »

Cha-ching!

Yes, I'm sure there are doctors out there willing to take advantage of hypochondriacs who stress over every bowel movement.

Not interested.
  • Kalikel
    edited August 2015
    Options

Cha-ching!

Yes, I'm sure there are doctors out there willing to take advantage of hypochondriacs who stress over every bowel movement.

Not interested.
    You said you'd love to do that. Some calls are from hypochondriacs, but some have actual issues - diverticulitis, bowel obstructions, et cetera, et cetera. As a doctor, you never know the difference until you investigate. It's harder in real life, which is why there are years of training.

You can't just decide whether or not something is wrong before you ever see the person. There's no magic that let's you know who has real problems and who doesn't. You have to *kitten*, poke, run tests - stuff like that. You have to be thorough because if you say nothing is wrong and it turns out that there was a bowel obstruction, the person could die. Aside from the legal complications, that's a heavy burden to carry - someone dying because you were lax. But at the end of the day, there is, as you say, a "Cha-Ching!" :)

If you change your mind back to thinking you'd "love" to be that doctor, take the MCAT! There is no reason why you couldn't be a doctor, too.
  • Kalikel
    edited August 2015
    Options

Oops
  • booksandchocolate12
    Options

Cha-ching!

Not interested.
    You said you'd love to do that. Some calls are from hypochondriacs, but some have actual issues - diverticulitis, bowel obstructions, et cetera, et cetera. As a doctor, you never know the difference until you investigate. It's harder in real life, which is why there are years of training.

You can't just decide whether or not something is wrong before you ever see the person. There's no magic that let's you know who has real problems and who doesn't. You have to *kitten*, poke, run tests - stuff like that. But at the end of the day, there is, as you say, a "Cha-Ching!" :)

If you change your mind back to thinking you'd "love" to be that doctor, take the MCAT! There is no reason why you couldn't be a doctor, too.

Has sarcasm always been difficult for you?

Do you need a sign?:

318mx75bkbch.jpg

Or perhaps there's a medical professional you could call who could help you with that.