Aldi? What do you buy?

Options
We are getting an Aldi's in the next few months. I have heard it's great for prices. What do you guys but there? Any recommendations? Quality?

Replies

• Queenmunchy
    Queenmunchy Posts: 3,380 Member
    Options
    I buy almost all of my groceries there except for herbs (they don't have them). It's insanely cheaper than "the regular" grocery store. Aldi owns Trader Joes, so some of the same things (different packaging) are sold there like the frozen fire roasted vegetables with balsamic butter.
    Their brand of laughing cow is also 25 calories instead of 35 and they have 3 different kinds.
  • shadowfax_c11
    shadowfax_c11 Posts: 1,942 Member
    Options
    Mosser Roth 85% dark chocolate. I love it It is only $1.99 for a bar which actually contains 5 individually wrapped bars.

Salted Caramel Gelato

Cheddar crisps are like sun chips and when you want some chips they hit the spot and the portion size is satisfying for the calories.

Sharp cheddar cheese bricks

Blueberries and strawberries there are really cheap when in season and most of their produce is inexpensive although there is not much to pick from.

Savoritz wheat crackers

Pickles and green olives

Frozen chicken breast tenders.

Humus

Pretty much everything really. I don't buy meat there very often and I get most of my produce elsewhere just because I want more variety.

• macgurlnet
    macgurlnet Posts: 1,946 Member
    Options
    I hit Aldi first when doing shopping - check their fresh fruit and veggies as they usually have something on sale and it's really cheap then. Even when not on sale, Aldi's fruits and veggies may be less expensive than another grocery store, but I like to check first.

I buy milk and eggs there most of the time, plus 90% of my canned goods also.

I've NEVER had any bad food from there. I didn't like the taste of the cottage cheese so haven't bought it again but everything else has been just as good as other stores.

~Lyssa
  • mkakids
    mkakids Posts: 1,913 Member
    Options
    I buy everything there that I can! They have great prices, but don't stock everything I need. I hit aldi first, buy what I can and then fill in the gaps at another store.

They have a FABULOUS gluten free line thats really cheap too if you need GF items.
  • _The_Lone_Wolf_
    _The_Lone_Wolf_ Posts: 160 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    i buy alot at aldi, salmon, normal olive oil and extra verge, biological coconut oil, chicken and turkey breast, other fish, my fruit, most of my veggies, 85% chocolat bars, unsalted almond&cashew nuts, brown rice, tuna in a can, skim milk, some teas... Damn i buy alot there :#
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    Options
    The only two things I've ever bought at Aldi that I won't buy again are their Ro-tel alternative -- too much cumin, or something -- and their canned asparagus (I prefer fresh, anyway, but the calendar is sometimes limiting), which had way too many tough bits that just weren't edible.

Everything else has ranged from acceptable to damn good.
  • MissElectricEyeliner
    MissElectricEyeliner Posts: 122 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    • 2lbs bag of grapes for $2.38
    • Fit & Active Rice Snacks to substitute chips $1.99
    • Fit & Active Turkey Italian Sausages $3.49
  • slaite1
    slaite1 Posts: 1,307 Member
    Options
    All of the above plus there protein bars and meal replacement bars (I eat them as a snack). They are amazing.

• LittleLadWantsToWin
    LittleLadWantsToWin Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    no idea what the american ones will have, but i usually get their lax and frikadeller since it's good. both aren't very healthy, but a nice treat and sometimes I'll eat a frikadeller for breakfast instead of a shake or something.

their toiletries are actually pretty good. their fruit and veg is great but goes off quickly

i don't shop there too often
  • anewghost
    anewghost Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    They have 3lb bags of smaller sweet potatoes (between 140-210g or so) there that I like to buy. I get canned tomatoes, broth, bacon, meat and produce there too.
  • nichalsont
    nichalsont Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    I have always found the fresh produce, diary products, and staple items to be good quality. One thing to know before you shop; be prepared to pay by cash or debit card. Credit cards and checks are not accepted.
  • DeterminedFee201426
    DeterminedFee201426 Posts: 859 Member
    Options
    i buy everything i eat daily from there(am a regular) it's a great place to buy foods and save much more money
  • rockmama72
    rockmama72 Posts: 815 Member
    Options
    Frozen fruit for smoothies, frozen fish and shrimp, nuts, cereal, dairy (yogurt, milk, eggs), pantry staples... These are all on my regular list. I'm not wild about their fresh meat. They have a regular stock of basic products that's very well organized, so you'll get a rhythm for what they have and you'll save a lot! They also have special-purchase stuff down the middle aisle, which ranges from Christmas chocolates and special spices during the holidays to box fans, freeze-pops and trees in the summer. Sometimes the produce looks great and is very cheap, sometimes I pass. They have good prices on snacks of all kinds. It can be dangerous if you shop with kids! But they also have their own brand called Fit and Active--lots of diet-friendly options if that floats your boat, like granola bars, yogurt, pre-portioned snack packs, etc.
  • dc1arkson
    dc1arkson Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    Courgettes, Turkey mince, sweet potatoes, spinach, bags of small steam veg and sometimes the zero fat natural yoghurt
  • MsJulesRenee
    MsJulesRenee Posts: 1,180 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    nichalsont wrote: »
    I have always found the fresh produce, diary products, and staple items to be good quality. One thing to know before you shop; be prepared to pay by cash or debit card. Credit cards and checks are not accepted.

They also don't have bags there so you have bring your own :) I always forget this and end up with a car full of rolling groceries.
  • corgicake
    corgicake Posts: 846 Member
    Options

They also don't have bags there so you have bring your own :) I always forget this and end up with a car full of rolling groceries.

Always carry a quarter with you to get a cart. Oh, and those green bananas are actually ripe.
  • amywah
    amywah Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Oh wow! Now I am even more excited. I am hoping to be happy with the meat as well. Thank you for your opinions!
  • louubelle16
    louubelle16 Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    I buy all my meat and orange juice from there (both are a lot cheaper and a lot nicer), but otherwise I hate that shop and do the rest of my shopping elsewhere :')
  • kashadilla
    kashadilla Posts: 14 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Aldi is my store. Love it, do all of my shopping there. The store in my town sells the largest volume of product among stores in the US and they are currently remodeling it. When I was speaking with the manager the other day they said it is going to be the BIGGEST aldi location in the US! So excited :smile:

I literally buy everything there. Snacks, all our milk, eggs, dairy products, meat, produce, canned stuff, frozen stuff, everything. I even buy toilet paper, baby items, pet care things there. I have never been dissatisfied with anything, alot of times we find we prefer the generic aldi brand of something over the name brand! They also have a double satisfaction guarantee. (You bring something back you aren't happy about and they will replace it AND refund your money. I know for a fact that make good on that guarantee! A friend got a drawer set or something that was missing a part...she just wanted the part but they gave her a brand new one and her money back and she didn't even want it lol)

I just went for my normal shopping trip yesterday and drug my dad along since he is visiting. He doesn't have Aldi at home in SD and was blown away by my receipt. We left with a full, heaping cart for $160.00. With 2 kids shopping there has cut my grocery budget in half.
  • raymax4
    raymax4 Posts: 6,070 Member
    Options
    corgicake wrote: »

Always carry a quarter with you to get a cart. Oh, and those green bananas are actually ripe.

I just ask the back if they have left over boxes if I can't see some almost empty when I'm shopping