Over 50's

Options
HP666
HP666 Posts: 1 Member
Anyone finding it much harder after reaching 50+??

Replies

• lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    I started at 59 and was convinced that it was impossible for my body to lose weight. With proper nutrition, exercise, and unwavering consistency, I've lost 100 pounds in 14 months. It doesn't matter if it's harder or easier after age 50. This is where we are in life and we must deal with it and do what we have to do to reach our goals. :)
  • sheermomentum
    sheermomentum Posts: 827 Member
    Options
    I'm 49, but, yeah, a little. Mainly because encroaching joint issues make it a little harder to get moving than it used to be. Hormonal changes make it a tiny bit harder, too, but not so much harder that the basic rules don't apply. Like the lady above said, you do what you gotta do. Its certainly not impossible.
  • clh72569
    clh72569 Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    I am 53, I find the hardest part is mental. Once you commit, it gets better.
  • happygrandma52
    happygrandma52 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I agree with clh72569 - the hardest part IS mental. Once I made the commitment to myself, the rest is just kind of falling into place. I'm 63 and I'm down 60 pounds since the first of the year.
  • as5811
    as5811 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Yes, it is a little harder for me than when I was in my 30's. I'm 62 now. I started eating healthy, exercising & a positive attitude. The weight is coming off - I feel better and getting fit. I still have more weight to lose, but feel I have a good start. You can do it!
  • Nursebnrn
    Nursebnrn Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I'm 51 and it's a slower process for me. It's inspiring to hear from those that have done it.
  • faithsimmons526
    faithsimmons526 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    For me it's not a lot more difficult to LOSE weight but it's a bit harder to feel good about myself. I'm 58 ... between the flapping underarms and a waist that 'doesn't-go-there-anymore' (let's not even mention my jowls lol), it's a little harder to be pleased with a 1 lb loss every week or so. So, I'm doing it for my health (making better choices etc), and to fit into nicer clothes. My daughter is my motivation -- she's lost 40 lbs since March -- which helps a lot.

Special congratulations and thanks to lorrpb, clh72569, and as5811 ... we older women need role models. <3
  • Pinnacle_IAO
    Pinnacle_IAO Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    Age is just a number...and mine is 51...
    cicdp6detfns.png
  • ShashayLee
    ShashayLee Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    it's going ok for me at 52, not setting any speed records but i'm super happy with 39 pounds down on day 75 back on track :)
  • LilannB
    LilannB Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    When I was younger if I wanted to lose weight I lost quickly usually on a fad diet. I'm 57 and weight loss has been slow due to not being able to exercise until recently because of knee problems. I still was able to lose 60 pounds just counting calories with very little exercise.
  • 50andfabu
    50andfabu Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    I'm 50 and just starting. Would love to lose 60 lbs. I'd be OK with 50, though. ShashayLee, you lost 39 pounds in 75 days? Or did I misunderstand? How did you do it? LiliannB, I"m so glad to hear you did it without exercise. That part worries me. I am sore and achy as is. When I exercise, it's worse.
  • allen_pauley
    allen_pauley Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I am 57 soon to be 58. Just started back on a fitness program. Love my family and my life. I need to work on my diet. I have a high metabolism so I have always eaten what I want. I need to eat better but not sure how to do that so I enjoy it.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,583 Member
    Options
    Not really. Not sure about the metabolism side of things, but I am finding psychological aspects easier. I know myself better than I did when I was young, am more analytical about observing & exploiting what works for me, and am stronger-willed than when I was younger.

I did get *much* more routinely active in my mid-40s (59 now), though I stayed just as overweight until recently. I guess it's possible that that improved my metabolism or body composition somewhat in ways that are now helping me lose weight.
  • turtlesoup1957
    turtlesoup1957 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Have gained so much weight last few years. Just trying to get focused on eating better and getting active again. 58 and with gaining weight really see a difference don't do much of anything else but work. Having a hard time getting motivated to get back into walking, using exercise equipment in basement and eating healthier.
  • MelissaRhea1963
    MelissaRhea1963 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Hi! I'm 51 and need to lose 100 pounds! Strongly considering weight loss surgery but have had some success with diet and exercise these past few weeks, so still undecided! I'm excited about the new lifestyle I'm leading! Healthy and happy are my goals!!
  • atiyausman84
    atiyausman84 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Ooooiih...i m 71...n wanna lose atleast 20/kg fr entering in 50ss...plz help me out ....em much worried....dont know how to lose nw...
  • ShashayLee
    ShashayLee Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    50andfabu wrote: »
    I'm 50 and just starting. Would love to lose 60 lbs. I'd be OK with 50, though. ShashayLee, you lost 39 pounds in 75 days? Or did I misunderstand? How did you do it? LiliannB, I"m so glad to hear you did it without exercise. That part worries me. I am sore and achy as is. When I exercise, it's worse.

for me that was somehow insanely fast as i normally am a super slow loser. but i am eating really healthy, increased my veggies, eating lean proteins & have totally cut down on my coffee cream addiction. I think now i am slowing down weight loss which is fine & expected. I've also started strength training twice a week & cardio 3 to 4 times a week.
  • Healthydiner65
    Healthydiner65 Posts: 1,579 Member
    Options
    When I started here I could only walk 2 minutes. I am now up to 45 on the treadmill and do yoga, classic stretching and light weight lifting and I am 63. so you can and will feel better if you are determined and dedicated to your health! Add me for mutual support if you want!
  • fsplt
    fsplt Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    HP666 wrote: »
    Anyone finding it much harder after reaching 50+??

Sure it may be harder but it is worth it. Step by step small changes and we can do it.
  • sheldonklein
    sheldonklein Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    I don't know if it is harder because I was pretty much overweight my entire life. I'm 59, started here at 58 (I'm a few weeks from my anniversary) and down 75 lbs. and it hasn't been that hard.