Help with squats?

Options
Hello all!
Can you help me? Im a girl, im not tall 5 foot 5 but i have long legs and a heavy short torso (apple shape). Im not sure if i measured correctly but my femur is roughly 1-1 1/2 inches longer than my tibia. I want to squat for glute growth but for the life of me i cant. Whenever I squat even a half squat I fall backwards instantly. And i lean forward alot. Leaning forward is the only way i can squat without falling backwards. Also my knees tend to pass my toes. If i pull back a bit, on my butt i go. And as I start to go down my toes also start to go up they refuse to stay flat which further rocks me backwards onto my butt. You know how people squat down to pick something up, where their thighs come against their calves but yet they keep their feet completely flat on the floor? Yeah i cant do that. I would have to be on my tippy toes. I can sumo squat and ski squat but those hit my quads and hams and not my butt. How can I correct this?

Replies

• vadimknobel
    vadimknobel Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    how far apart are your feet. shoulder width? are your feet pointing straight? I've seen suggestions to let your feet point to the sides a bit and push through your heels to improve stability
  • kiela64
    kiela64 Posts: 1,447 Member
    Options
    I can squat but I can't squat correctly - my feet turn out - and my physiotherapist gave me a different glute exercise until I'm strong enough to do proper squats & not hurt myself. Maybe look up other ways of strengthening those muscles until you're a bit stronger?
  • hill8570
    hill8570 Posts: 1,466 Member
    Options
    If you have some kettlebells or dumbbells, maybe a goblet squat? Or do another exercise that has a lot of glute activation, like glute bridges?
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    You'd have to post a video to see what you are really doing. If you are always falling backwards I'm guessing you've got your feet really close together and pointing forward. Try pointing your feet out at a 30* angle or so and get those knees out as you descend.

Realistically, a wider stance (what you called a sumo stance) and toes out tends to be more hip/glute dominant, not quad dominant. The opposite of what you said. People who want to target their quads tend to squat with a very narrow stance.

Having said all that, if you want to target your glutes only you'd probably be better off doing more glute-centric exercises. Things like SLDLs, glute bridges, hip thrusts, etc. Squats are more full-body exercises and hit a lot of things at once. Both kinds of exercises are great, but maybe add in some of the aforementioned exercises for a little more direct glute work if that's what you're after.
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,598 Member
    Options
    What does SLDL stand for? I'm also interested.
  • greg88rosen
    greg88rosen Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    When squatting with a barbell..

1. Place your feet about shoulder width or a little wider of comfortable
    2. Keep your back straight, abs tight, head forward and chest up from start to finish
    3. On the way down and back up squat as if there is a dinner plate under each foot and turn them outward. This will help give you a visual of what to do as you keep your knees from turning inward
    4. As you finish the squat back to starting position squeeze your butt and core to help lock out

Squats require a lot of core work so get into some planks (front and side) and get the movement of the squat down before adding weight to the bar

I hope this helps :)
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    gothchiq wrote: »
    What does SLDL stand for? I'm also interested.

Stiff-legged deadlift. Pretty self-explanatory.
  • wilsonm2014
    wilsonm2014 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    Glute ham raises
  • royalq
    royalq Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    DopeItUp wrote: »
    You'd have to post a video to see what you are really doing. If you are always falling backwards I'm guessing you've got your feet really close together and pointing forward. Try pointing your feet out at a 30* angle or so and get those knees out as you descend.

Realistically, a wider stance (what you called a sumo stance) and toes out tends to be more hip/glute dominant, not quad dominant. The opposite of what you said. People who want to target their quads tend to squat with a very narrow stance.

Having said all that, if you want to target your glutes only you'd probably be better off doing more glute-centric exercises. Things like SLDLs, glute bridges, hip thrusts, etc. Squats are more full-body exercises and hit a lot of things at once. Both kinds of exercises are great, but maybe add in some of the aforementioned exercises for a little more direct glute work if that's what you're after.

Really? I never knew that! I thought wider was for hams and the more narrow traditional squat was for more glute activation. I stand at what I guess is shoulder width apart.

I've did some extra research and my troubles also match up with poor hip and ankle mobility. So I'm going to try some stretches and hip opening movements to see if it improves my squat.

Thanks everyone for your advice! I greatly appreciate it.
  • IsaackGMOON
    IsaackGMOON Posts: 3,358 Member
    Options
    royalq wrote: »

Really? I never knew that! I thought wider was for hams and the more narrow traditional squat was for more glute activation. I stand at what I guess is shoulder width apart.

I've did some extra research and my troubles also match up with poor hip and ankle mobility. So I'm going to try some stretches and hip opening movements to see if it improves my squat.

Post a form video...
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    My yoga teacher showed me an alternative where I lean up against a wall for the squats. I get the form without falling backwards.
  • Walter__
    Walter__ Posts: 518 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    First, make sure you're squatting in a shoe that doesn't compress - so a flat, minimalist shoe, or even barefoot, is great. Your feet should be stable at all times, and you can't do that in a cushioned shoe. Squatting in a cushioned shoe, like a typical running shoe, is the equivalent of trying to squat on top of a mattress.

So feet stable, meaning even contact with the ground. Think of your foot as a tripod and you must maintain 3 points of contact to be stable, those 3 being the big toe MTP joint, little toe MTP joint, and heel.

Squat at whatever back angle allows you to maintain a stable foot. If your toes are coming off the ground and you are falling backwards, it's because you are focusing too much on only squatting through your heels so you end up off-balance. Focus instead on squatting through the middle of your foot. Much easier to stay balanced. Remember - squatting is all about stability.

Don't worry about the knees. Let them go where they must go. That "knees shouldn't go past the toes" myth is just that - a myth. You couldn't find an olympic weightlifter whose knees don't go past their toes.

Now if your feet are losing contact with the ground, it could be a variety of issues from lack of mobility to weak muscles. I've told you how you can fix your toes off ground/falling back issue. The opposite issue - heel coming off ground, weight coming onto toes - is most likely due to a weak core. Feet collapsing inwards and edge of the foot losing contact with the ground is a whole other issue. But you don't state that you have problems with that so I will not go into that.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Not everyone has the strength to go a full squat correctly. Mine has improved but I'm not quite there yet. Keep working on it. It takes a long time.
  • wilsonm2014
    wilsonm2014 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    Goblet squat. Grab a Kettlebell by the horns, hold it to your chest and squat. Saves the knees and great for learning the squat.
  • hekla90
    hekla90 Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    I don't find that squats do much for my glutes personally. I have much better luck with stiff leg dead lifts, weighted hip thrusts, and glute extensions. Squats turn me into quadzilla lol and I squat with a pretty wide stance. Don't get me wrong I love squatting but it doesn't do much for my glutes. I kinda hate the idea that squats are the only thing you can do for your butt, I find there are other more effective things I can do.
  • royalq
    edited August 2015
    Options

Post a form video...

Let's see if this works. The first is how I normally do it. Second is a wide stance. Third is taking Walterc7 's advice and letting my knees go where they want to.
    Eta well that video link didn't work. I'll try again.
  • royalq
    Options
    Trying again.
    vid672.photobucket.com/albums/vv81/RoyalQ/Mobile%20Uploads/2015-08/20150808_201603.mp4

link to video. side and front
    first is how i normally do it trying not to let my knees pass
    2- dont remember
    3-feet turned out
    4th- letting my knees go where the want to in my 1st regular squat. This actually doesnt look as bad as i thought it would.
    5- wide stance.
  • SaffronSunrise
    SaffronSunrise Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    Trying again.
    vid672.photobucket.com/albums/vv81/RoyalQ/Mobile%20Uploads/2015-08/20150808_201603.mp4

link to video. side and front
    first is how i normally do it trying not to let my knees pass
    2- dont remember
    3-feet turned out
    4th- letting my knees go where the want to in my 1st regular squat. This actually doesnt look as bad as i thought it would.
    5- wide stance.

Great video. I don't know how to help you, but will be watching this thread closely as I'm having almost the same problem with squats, but I'm having knee pain. I know you'll be able to get help here!
  • Horrorfox
    Horrorfox Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    Get your stance wider, and point your toes about halfway between facing forward and facing sideways. What that does is it allows your knees to follow its natural path towards your toes, and allowing yourself a good base of balance.

Keep your stomach tight, like if I were to punch you in the stomach. Inhale As you bend your knees, start lowering your butt, as if you're using an elevator in a straight path to the back of your heels. You want your butt to go parallel or below parrallel to the height of your knees. Once you reach that point, start raising your butt, then your torso, back up a straight path to the starting position, as you exhale.
  • XavierNusum
    XavierNusum Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    I'd agree with whoever told you it was partly due to poor ankle and hip mobility. You should focus on other glute exercises while you work on gaining the mobility to squat properly.

Hip thrusts
    Band walks
    Donkey kicks
    Stiff legged deadlifts

Check youtube for mobility drills for hips, ankles and squatting in general.