Options
2»

Replies

• SunnyPacheco
    SunnyPacheco Posts: 142 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    hekla90 wrote: »
    I don't find that squats do much for my glutes personally. I have much better luck with stiff leg dead lifts, weighted hip thrusts, and glute extensions. Squats turn me into quadzilla lol and I squat with a pretty wide stance. Don't get me wrong I love squatting but it doesn't do much for my glutes. I kinda hate the idea that squats are the only thing you can do for your butt, I find there are other more effective things I can do.

+1

If you're just looking to grow your glutes there are much better glute specific exercises that you can do. Squats are going to grow your whole leg at the same time and if you're not doing it with correct form to activate your glutes then you might not get the results you want.

ETA: I watched the video and it looks to me that you're thinking about falling backward so much that you're leaning your torso really far forward which is throwing your balance off. Then you're trying to keep the weight in your heels so your torso is forward and you're leaning back onto your heels causing an imbalance. Engage your core and keep your chest and head up and your weight in the middle of your feet. Your torso shouldn't really move much when you squat. It did get more stable toward the end after you had done a few so you might also be kind of tight in your hip flexors. Maybe stretch them out a bit to get some extra mobility before you squat.

Alternately, you could try squatting holding onto a TRX or a ballet barre or even a chair back until you feel more stable.
  • vivmom2014
    vivmom2014 Posts: 1,647 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    walterc7 wrote: »

Don't worry about the knees. Let them go where they must go. That "knees shouldn't go past the toes" myth is just that - a myth. You couldn't find an olympic weightlifter whose knees don't go past their toes.

I am kind of blown away by this! Is it true? I am so used to any & all fitness leaders insisting that toes are not to go past the knees during squats and lunges.

• royalq
    royalq Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    hekla90 wrote: »
    I don't find that squats do much for my glutes personally. I have much better luck with stiff leg dead lifts, weighted hip thrusts, and glute extensions. Squats turn me into quadzilla lol and I squat with a pretty wide stance. Don't get me wrong I love squatting but it doesn't do much for my glutes. I kinda hate the idea that squats are the only thing you can do for your butt, I find there are other more effective things I can do.

+1

If you're just looking to grow your glutes there are much better glute specific exercises that you can do. Squats are going to grow your whole leg at the same time and if you're not doing it with correct form to activate your glutes then you might not get the results you want.

ETA: I watched the video and it looks to me that you're thinking about falling backward so much that you're leaning your torso really far forward which is throwing your balance off. Then you're trying to keep the weight in your heels so your torso is forward and you're leaning back onto your heels causing an imbalance. Engage your core and keep your chest and head up and your weight in the middle of your feet. Your torso shouldn't really move much when you squat. It did get more stable toward the end after you had done a few so you might also be kind of tight in your hip flexors. Maybe stretch them out a bit to get some extra mobility before you squat.

Alternately, you could try squatting holding onto a TRX or a ballet barre or even a chair back until you feel more stable.

That's what I'm wondering, if I lean forward too much. But I feel that's the only way I won't fall. Maybe it's my core.
  • piperdown44
    piperdown44 Posts: 958 Member
    Options
    vivmom2014 wrote: »

Don't worry about the knees. Let them go where they must go. That "knees shouldn't go past the toes" myth is just that - a myth. You couldn't find an olympic weightlifter whose knees don't go past their toes.

I am kind of blown away by this! Is it true? I am so used to any & all fitness leaders insisting that toes are not to go past the knees during squats and lunges.

http://www.biomechfit.com/2012/02/09/3-squatting-myths-that-refuse-to-die

Just one of many, many articles from experienced people on the whole "knees past toes" myth.
  • shor0814
    shor0814 Posts: 559 Member
    Options
    vivmom2014 wrote: »

http://www.biomechfit.com/2012/02/09/3-squatting-myths-that-refuse-to-die

Just one of many, many articles from experienced people on the whole "knees past toes" myth.

For further reinforcement:
    img]
  • boogiewookie
    boogiewookie Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    my brother in law is visiting us and started weightlifting with us for the first time in his life. he had this exact same problem. he quickly picked up on all the lifts except squat. finally I did a full lower body workout with bodyweight exercises including a ton of squat variations. at first I had him hold onto a chair but by the end of the walking lunges and walking squats he had the form down and can do back squats :-)
  • vivmom2014
    vivmom2014 Posts: 1,647 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the information on this thread!!
  • galgenstrick
    galgenstrick Posts: 2,086 Member
    Options
    Pick up a copy of Starting Strength. Everyone should read it before beginning a weight training routine.
  • royalq
    royalq Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Were any of my squats close to looking correct?
  • IsaackGMOON
    IsaackGMOON Posts: 3,358 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    royalq wrote: »
    Were any of my squats close to looking correct?

Not really.

It seems that you're trying to sit on top of yourself... remember that the squat is between the legs, not on top.

It seems like you aren't focusing on pushing your knees outwards.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    ankle mobility is a thing for sure on this one.
    and sitting BETWEEN not on top of the legs.

Things to do for yourself
    > Calf stretches
    > Ankle stretches
    > Hip opening stretches.

Also- use a chair if you need to to practice for the feel.
  • amr32r
    amr32r Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    I was having some problems with my squat form too..reading this thread i pulled out some shoes my daughter bought me awhile ago she said are for lifting...HUGE improvement...
  • rachelbairdhall
    rachelbairdhall Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Get some weightlifting shoes or property up your heels on a couple of plates. That way you can get the proper ATG depth without falling over or using an excessive forward lean.

There are numerous research articles that found the knees passing the toes is NOT detrimental. In fact for many people it is less risky as it transfers load to the hips.

Happy squatting :)
  • ghoti_fish
    ghoti_fish Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I have similar issues (I've always assumed it was due to my huge *kitten*!) and this thread has been super useful - thanks all, will be building up core strength and practising other leg/hip exercises now!
  • IsaackGMOON
    IsaackGMOON Posts: 3,358 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Get some weightlifting shoes or property up your heels on a couple of plates. That way you can get the proper ATG depth without falling over or using an excessive forward lean.

There are numerous research articles that found the knees passing the toes is NOT detrimental. In fact for many people it is less risky as it transfers load to the hips.

Happy squatting :)

There's really no point in getting weight lifting shoes right now if OP isn't into lifting and we don't even know if she can fix her mobility issues... that'd be a fairly easy way to blow some $$$ right?

Also, ATG isn't possible for everyone.
  • hugheseva
    hugheseva Posts: 227 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    I have two recommendations. One I learnt from my bodybuilding husband: put a wedge (can be a low step board) under your heels to stabilize your move. The other one is that you could do box squats. Stand with the barbell in front of a bench. When you squat down, you gently sit on the bench, which forces you to have good form and the exact depth you lower your butt onto. It also prevents you from falling of course.