No Alcohol August

Options

Replies

• MyWhole30Journey
    MyWhole30Journey Posts: 175 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Monarose wrote: »
    Moderation with me is hard! One drink turns into 8 before I know it. I'm trying to steer clear altogether. This will be my first weekend dry in idk how long but if I can do it anyone can! Everyone keep up the good work. Best of Luck!!

You CAN do it! Trust me, I've been married and began this habit when my kids were babies. After we put them to bed my husband and I would talk about our day after a glass or two of wine. As the years went on 2 glasses turned to a bottle between us and then 2 bottles. Thank God it was never more than that. It's been 7 days for me and I feel great, no cravings or withdrawls. So, if I can do it, you CAN do it :) Include me as a friend please.
  • MyWhole30Journey
    Options
    Proved to myself last night that I suck at having just 1 or 2 drinks. I really want to learn how to moderate - it's never been my strong suit, though, and I'm not really sure where to start. Going to attempt to go dry again, at least for the next couple weeks.

I'm the same way :/ I really enjoy wine but find I can't control it. You'll find good support here. Dry is the only place to begin. Add me as a friend if you like.
  • SandiRemedios
    SandiRemedios Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Still hanging in there, water with lemon works for me.
  • tmbg1
    tmbg1 Posts: 1,295 Member
    Options
    Made it through another day! I feel fantastic, but my weight loss has hopelessly plateaued. I haven't lost anything in 2 weeks! The weight loss was a motivator in staying dry, but now since that has slowed down, I'll have to be motivated more by better sleep, better looking skin, and saving money.
  • jugar
    jugar Posts: 10,138 Member
    Options
    Well, a week late, but better late than never! I am just about at my goal weight and have been for over a year, but I am letting things start to creep back up, and that is NOT going to happen. I have been drinking more, and it is time to cut that out! It is too easy, as many of you have said, to just let one turn into many, and for it to be every day instead of once in a while.

I will have to change my visits to my mother-in-law to early in the day. We have a kind of ritual of a drink (usually more than one for me) whenever I go there to visit. It isn't every day, but it is one of those habitual things that will be hard to change. I will also just have to keep none in the house. Glad to find this group!
  • tat2cookie
    tat2cookie Posts: 1,902 Member
    Options
    I totally fell off the wagon. :/
  • jugar
    Options
    Get back on! (hope you enjoyed it!!!!)
  • 0khawkins
    0khawkins Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    In
  • MyWhole30Journey
    Options
    Still hanging in there, water with lemon works for me.

Good for you Sandi. It's not easy to find something to take the place of wine for me. I do like lemon in water, also spearmint, orange slices or cucumber. Flavored water is a great go to in this hot weather.
  • MyWhole30Journey
    Options
    tmbg1 wrote: »
    Made it through another day! I feel fantastic, but my weight loss has hopelessly plateaued. I haven't lost anything in 2 weeks! The weight loss was a motivator in staying dry, but now since that has slowed down, I'll have to be motivated more by better sleep, better looking skin, and saving money.

That's day 6 if I'm correct :) The weight will come off, just be patient. I've been doing the whole30 plan since August 1st and have lost 6 pounds in a week. I know that's a lot, and no doubt water but I'll take any loss I can get. I don't know about you, but so far I've saved or should I say not spent about $120 on wine the week.
  • MyWhole30Journey
    Options
    jugar wrote: »
    Well, a week late, but better late than never! I am just about at my goal weight and have been for over a year, but I am letting things start to creep back up, and that is NOT going to happen. I have been drinking more, and it is time to cut that out! It is too easy, as many of you have said, to just let one turn into many, and for it to be every day instead of once in a while.

I will have to change my visits to my mother-in-law to early in the day. We have a kind of ritual of a drink (usually more than one for me) whenever I go there to visit. It isn't every day, but it is one of those habitual things that will be hard to change. I will also just have to keep none in the house. Glad to find this group!

I understand your need to change your visit times with the MIL. We have to do what we have to do to stay on track. Habits aren't easy to break but they say 21 days will do it. SO, if we can make it 1 month, we'll all be doing really good.
  • MyWhole30Journey
    Options
    tat2cookie wrote: »
    I totally fell off the wagon. :/

Just remember why you're doing this, and this is your quote "To better myself, set an example for my girls, and be ready when the zombie Apocalypse comes". Look around girl, the zombies are everywhere, you better get back in that wagon fast.
  • MyWhole30Journey
    Options
    0khawkins wrote: »
    In

Glad you're "in" :)
  • MyWhole30Journey
    Options
    Okay, and now about me, today is day 8. No alcohol so far this month, not a drop. Last month I made every excuse under the sun for why I should be able to have "a" drink at the end of the day, (it's been a stressful day, glad I made it through that, it's a perfect night to sit outside and enjoy a glass of wine, date night . . .) they all look like reasonable reasons to have a drink right? They would be if I would have "a" drink but we know that's not the case. Tonight is a beautiful night, there is a breeze in the air and my neighbors are having a party to which I was invited but rather than risk my great progress I am content to sit here on my porch swing with a glass of blackberry sparkling water. I'll be happier for it in the morning. Stay dry and keep coming back for support.
  • ogmomma2012
    ogmomma2012 Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    Day #8: Just checking in. Feeling good. Doing Keto again and have left the bottle of vodka on my shelves alone. :) Not tempted simply because I need to do my best for 3 months!
  • AlexanderAmelia
    AlexanderAmelia Posts: 29 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    My consumption of coffee and coke zero has gone WAY up.

I'm sure my liver appreciates the break, though.
  • leanlicorice
    leanlicorice Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Well done to each of you sucessfully committing to the challenge - you have been inspirational! For those who have fallen off the bandwagon: good health is about several good choices everyday. One slip up is not going to derail you. :smile:

I have been dry for at least 2 weeks now. We had a dinner party on Friday night and my husband brought home some alcohol to share. Argh... the temptation!!!

So in order to stop myself from going crazy, I allowed myself to have a drink if I REALLY wanted it. So I prepared dinner, poured a glass of sparkling mineral water with lime slices, served my guests and promptly forgot all about the temptation. I actually felt surprised when I refilled the beers on the table and realised I didn't want one.

Let's keep going! Woot!
  • tmbg1
    tmbg1 Posts: 1,295 Member
    Options
    Waking up refreshed again today....that's another motivator: not having that slightly hazy, hung-over feeling in the morning. Now if I could just get the scales to move in the right direction again, I'd be thrilled!
  • jugar
    Options
    The best thing about not drinking is the wonderful sleep! Had a great night, but I know the first few days of a change are the easy ones.
  • juliedee20
    juliedee20 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Joining this group late but glad I found it! I have made a decision TODAY to stop drinking permanently and have shared my decision with my friends, especially those that I have ever had a drink with. I feel great about my decision! Happy to meet others who are drying out as well!