Regained weight....Would love to hear your encouraging stories of regaining then losing for good :)

Options
Hello everyone - I've been on MyFitnessPal for about three years. This tool was instrumental in my losing a good 20 pounds about 2 years ago. I have now gained it all back, mostly due to my own fault, though I can feel ok putting just a little blame on aging (I'm now 47) and an antidepressant I'm weaning off of, especially since I have continued to use the food diary on MFP. Just a few minutes ago I weighed 190lbs at 5'3, which I know puts my BMI in the obese range - this is the highest weight I've ever been in my life. I'm a comfortable size 12/14 and just feel awful. In my teens and 20's I was a seksay 120/130 lbs but no more. Throughout the past two years I have regularly done Zumba and Yoga, which are the first types of exercises I have ever looked FORWARD to and intend to keep them up because they make me feel good and confident. I realize that I don't do enough exercise for that to force weight loss alone - it's the food intake, but my doctor has assured me that there is always some metabolic long term benefit and not to give up hope. I consume roughly 1200 calories per day. I used to use Friday/Saturday as my "freebee" days, but I think at this age, I can't do that anymore. Thoughts? Encouraging stories? Txs.

Replies

• steffirae76
    steffirae76 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    6t5jrsu90kjk.jpg

Years and years of losing and gaining...finally got it right this time. I sent you a friend request. I would love to offer some support.
  • donnace7
    donnace7 Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    6t5jrsu90kjk.jpg

Years and years of losing and gaining...finally got it right this time. I sent you a friend request. I would love to offer some support.

You look amaaaazing!!
  • babydoyle
    babydoyle Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I got down to a size 14 2 years ago but then got pregnant and just completely let myself go, I'm a 16 now and really want to get to a 14 again before october.
    Weighed myself this morning and I'm 12st4lbs. When I got to a size 14 last time I was 12st, strange how only 4lb can make such a huge difference.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    2006: Lost 45 pounds, from borderline obese to mid-range normal BMI, with low-fat diet and lots of exercise. I encountered a lot of "sabotage" from my surroundings, temptations became overwhelming and gym inaccessible. Couldn't keep up the regimen. I regained some weight really fast, reached overweight, but got down again, in 2007. Gained steadily after that; slowly, then fast from summer 2011.

Reached obesity fall 2013, and decided that was enough. Started low-fat and exercise again. Lost some, got down to just overweight. Discovered MFP and IIFYM, researched low carb, paleo, primal, clean eating, real food, French women, the lot, read up on food and marketing and the brain. Made many tiny changes to my behavior, and a few great changes to my attitude. Lost in total 45 pounds in one year. Easing into maintenance, I lost about 5 more.

Now I've maintained original goal weight (or under) for almost ten months. It seems effortless. I do get cravings, but I don't feel overwhelmed. I can't go off the plan, because the plan is just how I eat now, and I enjoy it very much. I can eat anything I like, and I know what I like and can eat to satiety. I don't feel sabotaged because I know that I decide what I'm going to eat. I'm in charge, and it doesn't feel scary anymore.
  • donnace7
    Options
    2006: Lost 45 pounds, from borderline obese to mid-range normal BMI, with low-fat diet and lots of exercise. I encountered a lot of "sabotage" from my surroundings, temptations became overwhelming and gym inaccessible. Couldn't keep up the regimen. I regained some weight really fast, reached overweight, but got down again, in 2007. Gained steadily after that; slowly, then fast from summer 2011.

Reached obesity fall 2013, and decided that was enough. Started low-fat and exercise again. Lost some, got down to just overweight. Discovered MFP and IIFYM, researched low carb, paleo, primal, clean eating, real food, French women, the lot, read up on food and marketing and the brain. Made many tiny changes to my behavior, and a few great changes to my attitude. Lost in total 45 pounds in one year. Easing into maintenance, I lost about 5 more.

Now I've maintained original goal weight (or under) for almost ten months. It seems effortless. I do get cravings, but I don't feel overwhelmed. I can't go off the plan, because the plan is just how I eat now, and I enjoy it very much. I can eat anything I like, and I know what I like and can eat to satiety. I don't feel sabotaged because I know that I decide what I'm going to eat. I'm in charge, and it doesn't feel scary anymore.

Great tips! I think I'll do some research too. Thanks.
  • becalee26
    becalee26 Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    I am there with us. Lost 30 lbs in 2012 and slowly gained it back over last 3 years. It sucks and is overwhelming to do it all over again. Determined to lose it for good this time!
  • donnace7
    Options
    becalee26 wrote: »
    I am there with us. Lost 30 lbs in 2012 and slowly gained it back over last 3 years. It sucks and is overwhelming to do it all over again. Determined to lose it for good this time!

It's just so darn DEPRESSING when you're all proud of a weight loss, then it comes back!!! :neutral:
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options
    I got up to 299 lb in 1999 and did not weigh myself often (like 1-2 times per year) but in September 2001 I was at 227 lb.

By 2002 though, after meeting my ex husband and getting lazy about my nutrition, I was back around 270 where I stayed for almost a decade.

Hit my heaviest of around 307 in 2008 and after years of consistent loss and 2 years of logging my food I currently weigh in the high 160s.

I haven't been this size since I was in 5th grade (I am 38). For a long, long time I thought 227 was the lowest my adult body would ever go.

• renbys
    renbys Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I am hoping there will be more posts in this thread, as this is something I am personally struggling with.

I lost a good deal of weight some years back (it changed almost EVERYTHING about my life, and made me completely unable to ever tell myself "you're fine just as you are" because life was just SO MUCH BETTER as a thinner person), and over the last several years it all came back on. The last 15-20lbs were due to having a baby (I will admit that I've gained weight for much worse reasons than my fabulous son :), but psychologically, it is so hard to get over the fact that I've once gotten to the holy grail, only to lose it again.

MFP is helping me stay accountable, and various "fitspo" type things are keeping me motivated . . . but it's just a constant struggle, because every time I want to celebrate a lost pound, I think "uh-huh, and you once lost forty of these and they all came back."