Calories burned during exercise.

Options
Do you guys use the added calories you gain from imputing your exercises, or just still follow the calorie intake for the day?

Replies

• Wiley285
    Wiley285 Posts: 16 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    I always track my calories. You need to add in calories burned. If not, you risk being seriously malnourished.
    To get an accurate count, you need to compute your average heart rate during the individual exercise. It doesn't have to be perfect, but close with confidence.
    I do my cardiovascular at the gym. I take my heart rate on the machines several times during the exercise and average them. (Some machines do the average for you at the end.) You can then enter them into a calorie calculator, such as the one here: http:// shapesense.com/heart-rate-based-calorie-burn-calculator.aspx.
    If you compute it once for, say, 30 minutes on an eliptical, MyFitnessPal remembers it, so you don't need to redo it every time - if you do about the same intensity (heart rate).
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    MFP is designed so that you eat back (at least a proportion based on the overestimation of machines / MFP database)

This comes up regularly

If you're not cutting from TDEE and following MFP then yes you eat them back (cut MFP estimates in half before entering them)

There are many reasons not least to preserve your LBM, to fuel your life and exercise and because food is delicious
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Wiley285 wrote: »
    I always track my calories. You need to add in calories burned. If not, you risk being seriously malnourished.
    To get an accurate count, you need to compute your average heart rate during the individual exercise. It doesn't have to be perfect, but close with confidence.
    I do my cardiovascular at the gym. I take my heart rate on the machines several times during the exercise and average them. (Some machines do the average for you at the end.) You can then enter them into a calorie calculator, such as the one here: http:// shapesense.com/heart-rate-based-calorie-burn-calculator.aspx.
    If you compute it once for, say, 30 minutes on an eliptical, MyFitnessPal remembers it, so you don't need to redo it every time - if you do about the same intensity (heart rate).

This is only true for steady state cardio

So if you're choosing to do HIIT or you are doing weight training for instance your HR has absolutely no bearing on your calorie burn

Also calorie burn is dependent on your size