Anxiety about food

Options
Last night I was in tears at a beautiful wedding reception because I was so overwhelmed with the food around me. I went to the gym before the event and believe I made the best choices but can't help but feel down about how much food controls my mind (and life). Prior to losing 40kgs (90 pounds), I had people stare at me eating, laugh at me and even throw food at me. I was sitting with my boyfriend and another couple when my fork slipped and they all laughed. Flashbacks came flooding in and my anxiety went through the roof after that. I was in tears and feel like I ruined a really good night due to my own insecurities.

I am seeing a psychologist this week to help sort out my disordered thinking in regards to food and social situations. Has anyone felt the same and overcome it?

Sam

Replies

• mommyvudu
    mommyvudu Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I've definitely felt the same. I'm currently super anxious about eating in front of people. I haven't overcome it. Honestly, with all the things I've overcome, this isn't a high priority...although i don't cry in front of people about it when I'm out. I just panic and cry about it later. Just want to let you know you're not alone.
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    Peope were laughing and throwing food at you for fun? It does not sound like you are the one with the problem, unless the problem is picking very weird friends... Definitely talk to a therapist about your relationship with food and panicking about it. And reevaluate who you spend time with!
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Seeing the therapist is going to help you. This is the kind of thing that a therapist deals with often.
  • primal_instinct
    primal_instinct Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    When I was much larger, yes. Strangers that clearly had issues themselves lol @aggelikik
    I worked in fast food as a barista for eight years during school so often had my break outside. People would stare at me in food courts too. i0r5somgv7eb.jpg

I look the comparison from last night and then.. Trying to make sense of it myself because the physical changes have been drastic. My head is trying to catch up!
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    RodaRose wrote: »
    Seeing the therapist is going to help you. This is the kind of thing that a therapist deals with often.

Qft
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    Well done for seeking help from a therapist, and congratulations on your awesome weight loss! You are very pretty.
  • RHachicho
    RHachicho Posts: 1,115 Member
    Options
    If someone did that to me I would punch them out. Period. Even the most morbidly obese person on the planet it still a human being.
  • ariamythe
    ariamythe Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    I had people stare at me eating, laugh at me and even throw food at me.
    Were you at a wedding full of third-graders? I swear, some people in this world ...

• primal_instinct
    primal_instinct Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    ariamythe wrote: »
    I had people stare at me eating, laugh at me and even throw food at me.
    Were you at a wedding full of third-graders? I swear, some people in this world ...

No, sorry. I was talking about my past experiences which have made me anxious about eating in public.
  • jms5137
    jms5137 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I can't believe how awful people can be! So sorry to hear you've been through those experiences. Congrats on the weight loss!
  • ariamythe
    ariamythe Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    No, sorry. I was talking about my past experiences which have made me anxious about eating in public.

Ah, okay. That makes more sense. I was about to question the judgement of whomever got married, that they might keep friends like that!

• Pawsforme
    Pawsforme Posts: 645 Member
    Options
    You look fabulous! And you're smart, too -- smart enough to know seeing a psychiatrist is the right thing to do. Not wanting to eat in front of others is often a component of social anxiety. And anytime someone has lost a good amount of weight there's a risk of getting caught up in disordered thinking about weight and body image. But you can get your thought patterns straightened out just like you got your weight straightened out. Hang in there.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Orphia wrote: »
    Well done for seeking help from a therapist, and congratulations on your awesome weight loss! You are very pretty.

+1
  • booksandchocolate12
    booksandchocolate12 Posts: 1,741 Member
    Options
    You are a beautiful girl! I'm glad you are seeking help.

Best of luck to you!
  • healthygreek
    healthygreek Posts: 2,137 Member
    Options
    When I was much larger, yes. Strangers that clearly had issues themselves lol @aggelikik
    I worked in fast food as a barista for eight years during school so often had my break outside. People would stare at me in food courts too. i0r5somgv7eb.jpg

I look the comparison from last night and then.. Trying to make sense of it myself because the physical changes have been drastic. My head is trying to catch up!

You were and are a lovely young woman!
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    I've been at this for a long time, and I still get frustrated with how much food dominates my heart and mind.
  • Ironmaiden4life
    Ironmaiden4life Posts: 422 Member
    Options

You were and are a lovely young woman!

^^^This

Girl you're gorgeous and will be no matter what the number on the scale says. I am so happy you are seeking help and not letting these past experiences beat you, that takes true strength.

Keep moving forward and NEVER let other people define you. Strong women like you inspire me everyday!!!!
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,950 Member
    Options
    Orphia wrote: »

+2

• SaffronSunrise
    SaffronSunrise Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    Have you ever thought that people may be looking at you because you're so pretty?
  • Nanogg55
    Nanogg55 Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    Doll, you were and are gorgeous. People can be real jack@sses sometimes and it's awful how words can hurt. I'm glad you are seeing a therapists. Keep your chin up and remember how much you have accomplished. Great job on the weight loss!