Not eating enough

When you complete a day of food & the get the message that says you are most likely not eating enough, do you think this is true? Do you just ignore it? How many calories are you members eating a day? I try to stay at 1,000.

Replies

• galgenstrick
    galgenstrick Posts: 2,086 Member
    What's your height, weight, and age? 1000 very likely not necessary. The warning message is based on the recommendation from the national institute of health.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    tiptrinket wrote: »
    When you complete a day of food & the get the message that says you are most likely not eating enough, do you think this is true? Do you just ignore it? How many calories are you members eating a day? I try to stay at 1,000.

You're not eating enough at 1,000 calories. Don't ignore it and start eating more.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Unless you are extremely short, older, or under a doctor's care, 1000 is too low. You should be aiming for 1200 minimum, as prolonged undereating can cause serious health problems.
  • Dex37
    Dex37 Posts: 55 Member
    You can ignore it and see what happens. Or better yet, just Google The Machinist diet.
  • Bshmerlie
    Bshmerlie Posts: 1,026 Member
    If you are only eating 1000 calories that is not enough. And it is not necessary to go that low. At least stay at the recommended level of 1200. Anyone here would need your stats in order to be able to answer your questions. How much other people eat is irrelevant. Do you want to be eating as much as a 600 pound man if you are only a 140 pound woman or as much as a 140 pound woman if you are a 600 pound man? Stats are vital.
  • StaceyWhatsit
    StaceyWhatsit Posts: 24 Member
    I was eating the recommended calories and wasn't losing weight (yes I was accurate with my intake). After losing 33 pounds it was extremely disheartening not being able to reach my goal weight, so I went to my doctor and explained my situation, he said I can eat as little as I want as long as I keep up my fluid intake to prevent problems with my kidneys. Now I am eating around 950-1000 calories and finally back on track to getting to my goal weight but I found my weight loss slows if I drop my calories lower than that (maybe my body going into starvation mode if that's a thing). Basically what I'm saying is go to your doctor for advice and listen to your body.
  • isulo_kura
    isulo_kura Posts: 818 Member
    I was eating the recommended calories and wasn't losing weight (yes I was accurate with my intake). After losing 33 pounds it was extremely disheartening not being able to reach my goal weight, so I went to my doctor and explained my situation, he said I can eat as little as I want as long as I keep up my fluid intake to prevent problems with my kidneys. Now I am eating around 950-1000 calories and finally back on track to getting to my goal weight but I found my weight loss slows if I drop my calories lower than that (maybe my body going into starvation mode if that's a thing). Basically what I'm saying is go to your doctor for advice and listen to your body.
    The reason your doctor told you that was in that the majority of people greatly underestimate their calorie intake. My guess is even though your convinced that you were counting accurately you weren't and I'm also guessing you are not really eating as little as you think.

As for the OP my question is how did you get overweight if you cant eat more? First thing check that you are logging accurately weigh solids measure liquids and pick accurate entries off the database. Then if you really are under eating go for some nutrient dense foods. If you under eat long term you are more likely to rebound from any weightloss and cause long term issues .
  • NoIdea101NoIdea
    NoIdea101NoIdea Posts: 659 Member
    Are you weighing your food with a food scale? Or are you relying on packet servings, spoons and cups?

Unless you are weighing your food with a food scale, there is a very good chance you are actually eating more than 1000 calories.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Why?
  • booksandchocolate12
    booksandchocolate12 Posts: 1,741 Member
    I can't imagine eating only 1000 calories a day.

1000 calories per meal, sure. Without even a second thought.

I don't. I can't. But I wish I could. :smile:
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    A day under or over is no big whup. I cannot eat to numbers and regularly have days over and under. I don't think I've hit the number itself even once. I hit 1199 or 1201 once, though. I remember being one calorie away.

If you eat 1000 calories, I hope that they're nutritious ones! There's no room in there for junk. I also hope you're seeing a doctor so that you know if you're depleting your body of nutrients and can supplement.

I know tons of people who aim for 1000 or 800 a day. One friend did the hcg diet with it's 500 calories. They all crash and burn when they get hungry. Then they eat a bunch of junk when they binge. That's not striving for health. That's crash dieting. In the end, the weight doesn't come off and you're less healthy for all your trouble.

Consider eating a healthy, balanced diet. It will help you lose weight, keep it off and be healthy! :)