Running help

Options
I'm plagued by shin splints.... Need running friends who can help me please

Replies

• rrcoffey
    rrcoffey Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Make sure your shoes fit properly for your gait. I found calf compression sleeves/socks to help, as well as good ankle stretching before/after a run.
  • paulsamklyne383
    paulsamklyne383 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I've just ordered some shin supports so I'm hoping that helps .... I'm tempted to go to an actually running shop to be professionally fitted but then can I justify £150 and still can't run x
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    I've just ordered some shin supports so I'm hoping that helps .... I'm tempted to go to an actually running shop to be professionally fitted but then can I justify £150 and still can't run x

Pay the money for the shoes, or pay a physio. Your choice.

What I'd say is that there are a whole range of potential causes for shin splints, and appropriate shoes is only one of the possibles.

How much running do you do, how frequently, what distances and how long have you been running?
  • RevGillTC
    RevGillTC Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Do go and get measured. It's really daft to run in something that isn't supportive enough (after all, you wouldn't drive a car with dodgy suspension would you?). However, there is nothing to stop you getting measured, making a note of make and size, then buying online. Yes, I know it's rude, but you won't be the last to do it, and you can always make a commitment to buy the next pair from them.
  • MeanderingMammal
    Options
    RevGillTC wrote: »
    However, there is nothing to stop you getting measured, making a note of make and size, then buying online.

A sense of self worth perhaps...

It's pretty parasitic to use a service and then not compensate the provider in some way.

Equally the recommended shoes may still turn out to be inappropriate, so buying from a retailer allows the opportunity to go back and swap them for an alternative.
  • paulsamklyne383
    Options
    I do wear proper running shoes but they aren't the ones that I've run on a treadmill to be fitted with, I've attempted running many times but I always quit in agony, I appreciate athletes are happy to pay £150 a pair but for me who's just started and doesn't know if I can keep it up I can't justify it I'm afraid x
  • Slainte831
    Slainte831 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Think of good shoes as an investment in yourself and your health! You're worth it!

I second the idea of getting properly fitted shoes from a running store. The folks there are incredibly knowledgeable and friendly. They will be able to tell you if you pronate and may even have some tips on running form. I encourage you to buy from the running store the first time and then, when you need to replace your shoes, buy the same brand and model (or the updated version) online or at a sporting goods store. For example, I was fitted several years ago for Asics Gel Nimbus 10's, which I bought from the running store, and at this point I am using Asics Gel Nimbus 16's, which I buy from a regular sports store. At my local running store, the Running Room, they tell you if you are a 'neutral', an 'overpronator', or an 'underpronator'. They then let you try on several different brands/models depending on which category you fall into. Although they have never said, 'Hey, you're a little heavy, try this shoe for bigger runners', I think that is part of it as well. Sometimes they even have last year's models on sale, so you can look for that. I'm also not sure shoes would be £150? I'm in Canada, so I'm not exactly sure of the exchange rate, but I typically find excellent shoes to be in the $200 CDN range.

Keep track of your mileage, as shoes do wear out.

Google stretches and exercises to prevent or alleviate shin splints.

Make sure you're not trying to overdo it. Maybe a C25K program will help you?

Don't give up! Your body will adjust!
  • grapefruitannie
    grapefruitannie Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    ^ This I started and got plagued with shin splints I spent £80 on my first proper pair of running shoes and it is what has kept me going. The guys at the shop were fab and you get to know what is good for you. I am by no means an expert but I will say if you are getting splints every time you run you need to slow down and try and run on grass or any soft surface. Like I say I do not know much but this worked for me. I not fast I'm steady but I have competed in a couple of 5 mile races and a couple of 3 and you do get better so stick with it. But invest in you because that's why you started in the first place right? For YOU! Good luck
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    Running shoes properly fitted make a world difference
  • MeanderingMammal
    edited August 2015
    Options
    I do wear proper running shoes but they aren't the ones that I've run on a treadmill to be fitted with, I've attempted running many times but I always quit in agony, I appreciate athletes are happy to pay £150 a pair but for me who's just started and doesn't know if I can keep it up I can't justify it I'm afraid x

So proper running shoes is a bit meaningless, the key question is whether they're appropriate for your gait.

I was similar in the past, trying to run would lead to serious shin splints. I think fixing that was a combination of solutions.

I'd generally tried to do too much, too soon. So using a structured plan helped me a lot. Couch to 5K led to racing a 10K about 9 months after starting, and now I run several half marathons per year. That's taken two years.

I did invest in the right shoes for my gait. I overpronate, so bought motion control shoes. As I've improved my running I'm less sensitive and my trail shoes are neutral. It's worth the investment. Equally the life of a pair of shoes is somewhere between 300 and 500 miles, in general. Some people get more, some less.

That said, some people find minimalist shoes work better for them.

What you might find is contributing is your style. If you're overstriding then you're putting a significant load on the lower leg, and that'll contribute.

Your other possibility would be a muscle imbalance between shin and calf. What can help with that is strength training, or cycling with your toes clipped in to the pedals.
  • Laughter_Girl
    Laughter_Girl Posts: 2,226 Member
    Options
    My only regret regarding taking up running is not going to a running store to get properly fitted and purchase a pair of running shoes when I initially started running a year ago. Like OP, I was hesitant to spend the money. That was a huge mistake because I could have been a better runner by now if I had. So worth the money!!!
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    Shoes are cheaper than a visit to the dr
  • OldAssDude
    OldAssDude Posts: 1,436 Member
    Options

In running you have to be careful about impact injuries, and if you are overweight (don't know if you are or not), you have an ever greater chance of them.

Get a good running shoe that fits properly, and is designed for hard surface running
    Develop a smooth running style (less bounce)
    Stretch and rotate your joints before and after every run
    Start off slow (even a walk/run pace) and gradually increase
  • paulsamklyne383
    Options
    Thanks all .... You'll be pleased to know I have a day off Wednesday and I'm heading into the city and visiting the running stop (Norwich for anyone local) I shall keep you all posted what they say
  • Slainte831
    Slainte831 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Good for you! Yes, please let us know how it goes! Enjoy the experience.
  • _Waffle_
    _Waffle_ Posts: 13,049 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    You shouldn't need to spend £150. I would think that £80 - £100 would be plenty. I just bought a new pair for $50. Granted they're on sale and it's the same shoe I've bought the last 3 times. At any rate do get some shoes that work will with your feet. If you need pronation control then the correct shoe can make a huge difference.

In the mean time, try icing your shins for 10 minutes after you run and get in a couple sessions of calf stretching during the day. Some soreness is pretty standard if you're not used to running but you shouldn't be feeling pain during a run. That's never a good thing. General soreness during the day can be normal when you're starting out.

Further reading.
    http://www.runnersworld.com/tag/shin-splints
  • mwyvr
    mwyvr Posts: 1,883 Member
    Options
    Shoes are important but even more important is your running form. Not all shops are properly staffed to analyst gait / form.

Your best investment -- before buying shoes -- will be to find a local sports med clinic, or possibly a running group, or a running shop if properly staffed (many are not), that can look at your gait / form and make recommendations.

• jrline
    jrline Posts: 2,353 Member
    Options
    shoes are important. I stand with my toes on the edge of a step before and after I go running doing three sets of ten raising and lowering myself and quit having shin splints. Good Luck
  • litsy3
    litsy3 Posts: 783 Member
    Options
    I'm not from Norwich but the Runners' Centre seems to have a good reputation. If you go to Sweatshop don't let them sell you the magic insoles.

Also, there's no shame in saying you want to spend as little as possible; when I first went to get fitted for 'proper' running shoes the shop were happy to let me try similar shoes to the recommended ones but at a lower price. In the end I preferred the fit and feel of the expensive ones, but they weren't going to make me spend more than I wanted.
  • mwyvr
    mwyvr Posts: 1,883 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    I've historically been fitted with motion control / stability shoes to deal with pronation. Usually these shoes had a fair amount of heel to forefoot drop and generous cushioning.

After starting running again last September and after 800km with no injuries (I attribute this to a focus on running form) and on my second pair of stability shoes, I decided to take a chance and go "minimal" with a bare foot (no socks) style zero drop neutral shoe - antithesis of a stability / motion control show.

I've run hundreds of km on these minimalist neutral shoes and have continued to run injury free.

In fact the wear pattern on the sole suggests that my pronation when running in these shoes is... minimal to none. I chalk that up to the larger toe box on the show and sock-less style which allows a) my toes to splay properly giving me improved lateral stability, naturally, and b) the shoes help encourage a forefoot landing where heavily cushioned up stability shoes make it possible (and easy) to be lazy and land anywhere.

The reason I mention this is hardly any running shop would ever fit me with the minimal big toe box zero drop style shoe. In virtually every shop I visit I'm given the same, facile, prescription: "You pronate? Here, try these stability shoes." It's not the right answer, every time, it's just the easy answer too many shoe fitting folks dole out without a second thought to the alternatives.

Getting more than the stock advice from 80-90% of the stores out there is difficult enough. The chances of finding a running shop that can properly analyse running form and bio-mechanics are... low, especially in a small town.

It's very likely that the OP has form issues that are contributing to her recurring problems. Shoes alone will not solve this problem and re-injury will only lead to additional frustration.