Oil and pasta? High calories?

Options
Whenever I boil my whole wheat or grain pasta, I add oil to the water. I know oil is high in calories and I did read on one website recently that adding oil to boiling pasta will add calories to the pasta. But I've read on other websites that adding oil to boiling pasta prevents it from sticking, which is does for me. So...are the extra calories worth the sticking prevention or is there an even better way to do it? What do YOU do when boiling pasta? I haven't boiled any pasta since doing the research. I'd like to read up on someone's personal experience first. Thanks!

Replies

• DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    Options
    I don't cook it so much that it sticks. Al dente ftw.
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    If you boil pasta in enough water, big pot and not overcook it, it will not stick. Sticking means too much past in too little water, or overcooking. Or perhaps some really terrible quality pasta?
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    I've never had an issue with pasta sticking.
  • ki4eld
    ki4eld Posts: 1,215 Member
    Options
    aggelikik wrote: »
    If you boil pasta in enough water, big pot and not overcook it, it will not stick. Sticking means too much past in too little water, or overcooking. Or perhaps some really terrible quality pasta?

+1
  • booksandchocolate12
    booksandchocolate12 Posts: 1,741 Member
    Options
    This:
    I don't cook it so much that it sticks. Al dente ftw.

And this:
    aggelikik wrote: »

• Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    I don't add oil to pasta and it does not stick.
  • ItalianChick90
    ItalianChick90 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Thanks. According to your comments its probably my pots. I need to buy bigger pots. I had a really big one but it eventually got rusty and old so I tossed it a long time ago and haven't replaced it yet.
  • _The_Lone_Wolf_
    _The_Lone_Wolf_ Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    I have never added oil while boiling pasta (yuck) and it have never sticked either :)
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Adding oil to it, is unnecessary. Add more water and don't over cook it.
  • ItalianChick90
    Options
    Liftng4Lis wrote: »
    How much time do you recommend for cooking whole wheat and/or grain pasta? I'll go buy a new big pot soon and some more pasta without using oil from now on.

• DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    Options
    I cook it to the minimum of the recommended range on the package.
  • healthygreek
    healthygreek Posts: 2,137 Member
    Options
    I only add salt after the water starts to boil for flavor.
    I add some of the pasta water to my sauce and then add some sauce to the pasta in the pot after draining it. The sauce keeps the pasta from sticking plus the pasta water in the sauce makes the sauce adhere to the pasta better.
    You can also use pasta water to thin out your sauce if needed.
    (Thank-you, Rachel Ray;-))!
  • Liftng4Lis
    Options
    How much time do you recommend for cooking whole wheat and/or grain pasta? I'll go buy a new big pot soon and some more pasta without using oil from now on.

Fresh or dried?
  • _The_Lone_Wolf_
    _The_Lone_Wolf_ Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    I never set a time when i cook my brown rice or brown pasta, i always check in between while cooking or making other stuff :)
  • Liftng4Lis
    Options
    Dried is about 8 minutes (stir it), for "al dente". Do not rinse, as you want your sauce to stick to the noodles.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options

The package tells you, it's different for each type of pasta. Typically I cook mine to the middle setting and they don't stick (I buy Barilla or Ronzoni).
  • booksandchocolate12
    booksandchocolate12 Posts: 1,741 Member
    Options
    This whole thread has given me a craving for Aglio e Olio.
  • rushfive
    rushfive Posts: 603 Member
    Options

Wow, I never knew this ... I was always told to add a little oil... going to do more water in a bigger pot and less time from now on.
    Big Thank You to everybody and for even asking the question.
  • pineapple_pizza
    pineapple_pizza Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I only add salt after the water starts to boil for flavor.
    I add some of the pasta water to my sauce and then add some sauce to the pasta in the pot after draining it. The sauce keeps the pasta from sticking plus the pasta water in the sauce makes the sauce adhere to the pasta better.
    You can also use pasta water to thin out your sauce if needed.
    (Thank-you, Rachel Ray;-))!

Agree. When you first pour your pasta in the boiling water, stir it up to prevent them clumping together and it should be fine. After cooking, reserve some starchy pasta water for your sauce and immediately mix your pasta with your sauce after draining it. If you leave your pasta drained and uncoated too long then it will stick together.
  • ItalianChick90
    Options

Fresh or dried?
    dried, like from the box.