are you a good tipper? do you tip 20 percent?

Options

Replies

• asianfashionista86
    asianfashionista86 Posts: 5,039 Member
    Options
    yusaku02 wrote: »
    10% for abysmal service
    15% for meh service
    18-20% for average/good service
    up to 25% for exceptional service

Though for some reason I always seem to tip hair cutters about 35%

What is they were super friendly and nice but forgot a lot of your orders... Or what if they were completely on point but just didn't really make any small talk? Which one is worse?
  • asianfashionista86
    asianfashionista86 Posts: 5,039 Member
    Options
    Non_Stop wrote: »
    10% for abysmal service
    15% for meh service

I always tip 20%. What if that person is just having a crappy day due to a rude customer or a bad boss?

^ this is very true
  • FabulousFantasticFifty
    FabulousFantasticFifty Posts: 195,832 Member
    Options
    10% for abysmal service
    15% for meh service

I always tip 20%. What if that person is just having a crappy day due to a rude customer or a bad boss?

There's never any excuse to be rude to your customers! We all Suck it up and do our jobs!
    My biggest peeve is when you have a rude, snooty, horrible Server who suddenly turns nice and sweet when she brings you the check!!! :angry:
  • MoiAussi93
    MoiAussi93 Posts: 1,948 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    It depends on service. If the service is good, I tip 20%. If the service is okay but could have been better, I will tip 15%.

If the service is very bad (rare, this has only happened a handful of times that I can remember) I will tip one penny. I don't tip nothing in that situation, because I don't want them to think I just forgot. I want them to realize I tipped badly deliberately.

I account for how busy it is...if the server is swamped, I cut them some slack. They can still get 20% if I see they are doing their best. But if they're standing around chatting and I'm thirsty, their pocket book will suffer for it.

Oh, and at really cheap places like diners or other cheap restaurants, I often tip 25 or 30%.
  • msharrington315
    msharrington315 Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    20% majority of time and round up to nearest dollar
  • jensquish1
    jensquish1 Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    I will tip at least 20% if the service is good. The only time I've ever tipped awfully low is when the waitress or waiter is downright rude. Not little mess ups or whatever. Thankfully, that has only happened a couple times.
  • yusaku02
    yusaku02 Posts: 3,472 Member
    Options
    10% for abysmal service
    15% for meh service

What is they were super friendly and nice but forgot a lot of your orders... Or what if they were completely on point but just didn't really make any small talk? Which one is worse?
    I'm a rather shy person anyway so I don't care if the waiter/waitress makes small talk, so I'd probably view it as worse if they're super friendly but forgot a lot of orders. Though, if they're super nice and friendly then I probably wouldn't mind as much that they're making mistakes. It's hard to be upset with a nice/friendly stranger.

10% for abysmal service
    15% for meh service

The quality of their day shouldn't affect the quality of their service. I often have bad days at work but I don't take it out on the end users.
  • kbwilson76
    kbwilson76 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    As a former waitress (eons ago) I normally tip at least 20% or higher. Sometimes if I'm generous and outstanding service 50%.

If the service is absolutely horrid I won't leave a tip, but I'll let the manager know why. I've only done this a couple of times (having my plate slammed down while the waitress was arguing on the phone).

There was one time I left 5% for my waitress, but left 30% for the waitress next to US because she was super awesome.
  • tat2cookie
    tat2cookie Posts: 1,899 Member
    Options
    I'm a big tipper most of the time. Unless you suck, then I unleash my children and make you wish that you called in sick. But you have to really really suck for that to happen.... And it's only happened once because she called me an idiot after I asked for a bunless burger and a beer. I left all the change I had in my wallet and a mess. But about 99% of the time I tip 30-40% and clean up my table and put all my dishes in a nice neat pile.
  • Danielpmac
    Danielpmac Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    20% most of the time, if the bills over £100 then 30% once tipped 100% just to be nice.
  • finny11122
    finny11122 Posts: 8,436 Member
    Options
    Yes , i always tip for a meal , and i always tip my barber .
    Anyone else tip their barber ?
  • jaxass
    jaxass Posts: 2,128 Member
    Options
    I typically tip 20%, but it depends on the combination of the quality of the food and service. Just because someone works for the wait staff doesn't automatically entitle them to a 20% tip. They must earn their keep. With that in mind, however, I will leave them something.

As for my SportsClips cutter...I tip them too, the same I would wait staff.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    tripleA972 wrote: »
    Are you a good tipper? Do you tip 20 percent?

depends on the service...I don't auto tip 20%...there are a lot of people who don't rate that. I still tip even if the server or whatever is a complete *kitten*...but I don't just auto tip 20%.

I went out for lunch with my boss on Thursday...about the only thing our waiter did was take our order (after we had already been sitting there for about 15 minutes without even having water)...he never checked on us...we never got any refills on our water, etc. He got 10% and that's it...he was pretty worthless as a server.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    jaxass wrote: »
    I typically tip 20%, but it depends on the combination of the quality of the food and service. Just because someone works for the wait staff doesn't automatically entitle them to a 20% tip. They must earn their keep. With that in mind, however, I will leave them something.

As for my SportsClips cutter...I tip them too, the same I would wait staff.

your server is not responsible for the quality of your food...
  • jaxass
    jaxass Posts: 2,128 Member
    Options
    So true, but a lot of places split their tips with kitchen staff. If not, then I base it off their service.
  • RiverMelSong
    RiverMelSong Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    Here it's not customary to tip, especially when going out for just a drink or lunch. Servers get paid really well, usually a couple of euros above minimum wage (I'm talking 12-13 euros an hour). If you go out for dinner it's normal to tip around 10% if the meal/service was really good.
  • HerkMeOff2
    HerkMeOff2 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Wait, some of you tip if you receive bad service? That blows my mind.
  • tripleA972
    tripleA972 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Yes, i also tip my barber
  • tat2cookie
    tat2cookie Posts: 1,899 Member
    Options
    tripleA972 wrote: »
    Yes, i also tip my barber

I tip my stylist as well.