No really, how do you say NO to foods and habits you've had your whole life?

Options

Replies

• kiela64
    kiela64 Posts: 1,447 Member
    Options
    This is such a great thread. The "I'm not a garbage can" thing - definitely need that reminder sometimes.
  • mommyvudu
    mommyvudu Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I stay away from them or actively talk myself out of eating anything I can't avoid being around. I'll think about how much better I'll feel in 3 months if I keep staying strong, how giving into temptation was how I gained weight, etc. It works. I don't buy junk but every once in a while my fiance brings our son things like the Oreos he got last night into our home. I used to never be able to resist Oreos whatsoever but at this point I won't touch them. I also shoved them in the very back of the pantry so I don't see them lol.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    I prelog my food for the whole day. It is easier not to pick up some random thing if I already have things planned out.
    I log everything.
    I eat food I like all the time but some foods are less worth the amount of calories they have because they won't fill me up or provide much nutrition. I think of calories like money. I'm frugal. I budget. I compare prices. I plan purchases. I want to cover my expenses.
    I tell myself none of these foods are rare. If I don't eat a cookie right now I surely will have cookies again. I put leftovers away.
    I want to lose weight more than I want to overeat. I don't want to exercise for hours because of food I ate that doesn't fit my goal.
  • tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,446 Member
    Options
    KateTii wrote: »
    For me, I had to cut all of my favourite "junk" foods out for two weeks as I could not say no to them and could not control how much of it I ate. Anything in the lollies/chips/chocolate/deep fried category as well as cheese, bread and pasta. I was able to go cold turkey no problem, but I needed those two weeks of absolutely no junk food in order to build my control over portion size. Halfway through the two weeks, I found MFP and by the end of the two weeks logging was a habit.

Now it's super easy to say no to "junk" (even the really good stuff in the office).

I did something like this - kept a rule for no fast food, takeout, chips or sweets in the house (except for small pieces of dark chocolate, occasionally), focused on more veggies, fewer highly processed grains.

Did it for a while, and after that, found it much easier to eat fast food and other stuff like that in moderation.

I still prefer not to have it *too* often, eg having cheeseburgers and pizza every day for a week, because when I do that for too long, I tend to want more of it. I'm trying to eat with health in mind, so I don't really want to eat that way all the time. But I do still have cheeseburgers and pizza now and then :)
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,683 Member
    Options
    You don't HAVE to say no, you just HAVE to ensure that you don't consume more calories than you need. Eat those leftovers if you want, but if you're counting calories and don't have any room left, you either forego anymore eating, or do physical activity to allow consumption of those calories.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • tomatoey
    Options
    What I am finding extremely hard right now, though, is trying to eat more chicken and fish and less beef and cured meats. Doing ok with fish, not a great fan of chicken.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    I don't. I say"later" and then plan for them, or make up for them with exercise or lower cal and macro goals as the case may be.

MODERATION BECHEZZZZZ!!!
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    tomatoey wrote: »
    What I am finding extremely hard right now, though, is trying to eat more chicken and fish and less beef and cured meats. Doing ok with fish, not a great fan of chicken.

I like your username.
  • tomatoey
    Options

I like your username.

Thanks! I like yours too :)
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options

I like your username.

Your profile pic is a bit confronting lol :open_mouth:

• Dmaster1214
    Dmaster1214 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    You don't say "no" to your habits. You replace them with new ones.
  • CrosbyMcDowell
    CrosbyMcDowell Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    Lots of good advice. I try to distract myself and if that doesn't work, I have to do 50 jumping jacks, 30 crunches and 10 lunges on each leg, then drink a big glass of water. If it still sounds good, I'll go for it. As for not wasting food, I have no problems putting 2 tablespoons of some left over in the fridge. Sometimes when I'm legitimately hungry at the end of the day, it's nice to have just a couple bites of something that's usually at least kinda healthy.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    I log everything before I eat it so I can see the damage in big letters.

And I don't really waste food anyway. Leftovers go in the fridge (I've put back 2oz of chicken in the fridge - perfect to use in a taco!), cookies go back in the box (typically I only have 1-2 at a time anyway, so it's perfect for next time). I only put on my plate what I'm going to eat, and it's measured.

My kids leftovers are never tempting to me because I don't trust their hygiene and I'm not touching their food... ever.

I agree with finding something I want more. This morning I'm making the kids cinnamon rolls, and there'll be extras... but I want not to be hungry today more.

I still fail at buffets though but I just make up for it the rest of the week, typically.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    1- practice being mindful...you practice...practice...practice.

2 - I don't waste food...i make food in appropriate amounts and put appropriate amounts of food on my plate.
  • rockmama72
    rockmama72 Posts: 815 Member
    Options
    I come from a clean-your-plate background. Then years ago a (thin) little old lady told me her secret: Never eat anything that isn't delicious. Your kid's slobbery, cold mac and cheese isn't delicious! A homemade cookie probably is, but store-bought cookies (to me) are not. Last week we went to a BBQ. I love a big, juicy cheeseburger, but they served those frozen pucks that are super thin and they overlooked them, so I just picked at it to make it look like I ate more than I did and saved my calories for later.

I do still struggle, because wine is delicious and the bottle is big.
  • 50andfabu
    50andfabu Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    thanks! I'm glad it helps. I perfectly understand you, I too come from a family of not throwing food and finish all that is in your plate.
    [/quote]

I've started to think that the food is wasted if I eat it and don't need it, so same difference if I just throw it out. My body is not a garbage can, so throw it in the real garbage can.
  • Mezzie1024
    Mezzie1024 Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    Instead of saying no, say yes to something else. Look at that cookie* and say yes, I am going to stick to today's calorie goal. Yes, I am going to meet my weight loss goal for the week/month. Yes, I am going to prove to myself that I do have willpower. Yes, I will be a positive example of responsible eating to those who look up to me (if there are kids in the house). Yes, I am going to build new habits. Yes, everything DOES count. Yes, I am going to choose fruit over cookies.

People don't have staying power when they're working against something, but they do when they work towards something they are passionate about. Change the paradigm.

When it comes down to it, you're a sentient being in a battle against a cookie. In this scenario, you really should win. :smile:

*or other temptation. For what it's worth, I do believe in treats in moderation when they fit within your goal, but only you are the judge of whether or not moderation is something you can do successfully at this stage.
  • jennontheroad
    jennontheroad Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    I tell myself: this is not the last opportunity in my life to have this food. I can get this at any time I want (in moderation of course). And if it is the only opportunity for me to have this food, well, I eat it!
  • saraherren
    saraherren Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    When I started reading the ingredients on foods and started eating single ingredient foods, it was really easy for me to give up those multi-ingredient foods. My cravings for those foods went away and I haven't craved them since. I used to eat fast food twice a day and drink Starbucks upwards of 3 times a day. I don't do either of those anymore and would never even consider going back.
  • Bellechi19
    Bellechi19 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I am hypoglycemic, but that rebel in me still gets pissed if I tell it that I can't have something ever again. It helps me, when faced with a food that has no nutritional value but tastes amazing, to think about how I will feel physically after I eat it. Will my stomach be upset? Will it make me lethargic and moody afterward? Most of the time, this alone helps me decide that I don't really want/need it. But sometimes...I'll go ahead and have just a little. Only sometimes. Maybe half of it, or even just a few slowly savored bites just to pacify that reckless rebel. ;)