How do I get through a Weight Loss Plateau?

Options
I started at 189 lbs and have lost 13 lbs now weighing 176 lbs. I have been stuck at 176 lbs for two weeks now. Next week will be going on 3 weeks. I even exercised more intensely adding a couple of HIIT days in and cleaned up my diet even more than it already was, but still no loss. My calorie limit to lose 1 lb a week is 1597. Last time I tried to lose weight (from 183 to 167) I plateaued around a 16 lb loss for three weeks and got totally frustrated and gave up gaining all the weight back plus more. I'm getting really frustrated again. I have done a complete 180 turn in all my fitness and eating habits compared to where I use to be only to get stuck at a 13 lb weight loss. I thought about restricting my calories a little bit more, however I have read where most people say to add a couple hundred more calories not to restrict. So, not sure if I should add or subtract more calories.

Replies

• Virkati
    Virkati Posts: 679 Member
    Options
    You've only been at the same weight for two weeks...it's not really a plateau. Your body adjusts as you go along. If you're doing everything right, the weight loss will come. Patience is one of the biggest lessons you learn through this process. I weigh every single day because it helps me with the psychological aspect of the numbers moving up and down. I am never the same weight two days in a row. Water retention is a big part of that. Trust the process, don't give up, and be patient. It's not linear, you're not going to show a loss every single week. That's just how it goes. Keep at it, you'll get where you're trying to go :)
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,620 Member
    Options
    Not a plateau. That would be 6 weeks or more of no weight movement while not deviating from diet and activity. If there's been any deviation, then it's a stall. Lack of consistency or adaptation is why people stall, so check those first.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • IsaackGMOON
    IsaackGMOON Posts: 3,358 Member
    Options
    2 weeks is nothing...

stop expecting consistent results; weight loss isn't linear.
  • sheltol
    sheltol Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Do you monitor body fat % or inches lost? You could still be having progress even with a weight loss stall for 2-3 weeks. You also mentioned that you upped your exercise intensity - are you sore? That could results in some water retention that isn't typical.

If you suspect that you have increased your muscle tone and are getting stronger I wouldn't decrease your calorie intake. If you were slacking on your workouts then maybe but I suspect that you may need to bump up a little bit if this stall persists and you don't see any other progress. I say give it one more week and then bump up a little bit one or two days a week and see how your react.
  • Mezzie1024
    Mezzie1024 Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    I almost always have the same weight for at least a week or two before a drop. I think the longest for me to stay the same weight despite a deficit is about three weeks. I don't stress over it because I've learned my pattern and I'm pretty accurate with my logging. If I've changed exercises, been more sedentary than usual, or eaten sodium-heavy foods, those are all reasons my weight might wait a a little longer before dropping. Monthly water retention plays a role as well. Over time, though, my goal of 0.5 pounds/week is dead on when I'm meeting my calorie goal consistently -- it just doesn't always show on the scale each week. Maybe I'll go three weeks at the same weight (or with a couple weight spikes) and then suddenly drop a pound and a half.

If you're logging carefully and as accurately as you can, then don't sweat the pauses. Math and science are on your side and the weight will drop in time. If you go a couple months with no change, though, then something is probably wrong in the equation: inaccurate logging, inflated exercise burns, wrong activity level entered, unrealistic loss per week entered, health issue, etc.

I wouldn't worry yet. Keep plugging away, and don't give up like you did last time.
  • KimberlyAndrews1
    KimberlyAndrews1 Posts: 87 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Thanks everyone. Nothing major, but I have lost an inch here and there. I work out faithfully 5 days a week 40 minutes - 60 minutes cardio. I've been working out 10 weeks now...this coming week will be week 11. I started strength training week 5. I strength train 4 days a week. So I am definitely getting more muscle tone....that may be a big part of it. I pushed a lot harder this past week and cleaned up my diet more. I'm working with a PT at the gym. My calories if not entirely accurate are still pretty close. I'm not going to let this stop me this time. I just need patience. My fat didn't get there overnight, it's being stubborn and hanging on for dear life. I'll try to be patient and give some more time.
  • Virkati
    Virkati Posts: 679 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone. Nothing major, but I have lost an inch here and there. I work out faithfully 5 days a week 40 minutes - 60 minutes cardio. I've been working out 10 weeks now...this coming week will be week 11. I started strength training week 5. I strength train 4 days a week. So I am definitely getting more muscle tone....that may be a big part of it. I pushed a lot harder this past week and cleaned up my diet more. I'm working with a PT at the gym. My calories if not entirely accurate are still pretty close. I'm not going to let this stop me this time. I just need patience. My fat didn't get there overnight, it's being stubborn and hanging on for dear life. I'll try to be patient and give some more time.

All of the bolded are things to take note of. And one more thing...set your expectations to a reasonable level, and then celebrate your wins. Every little thing that shows that you're improving or on the right track, are things you need to be proud of. YOU need to be your own best friend and supporter thru this whole thing. And when you hear yourself saying, "Nothing major, but I've lost inches", remind yourself of exactly how major that really is!!
  • KimberlyAndrews1
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Thanks! Yes, a few inches and a few pounds is definitely progress. I'm just being impatient. I'm determined not to let that little negative voice win out this time. Plus, I'm not only doing this because I'd like to look better and feel better in clothes...sure that's true, but mostly, it's important for my health.
  • eshnna
    eshnna Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Same thing happened to me. I gave myself some rest from exercise for 2 days. I also consumed about 300-400 calories more for those 2 days then I resumed my exercise activities. What do you know it? a day later and 2lbs came off just like that. The rest and the extra calories kind of revamped my metabolism.
  • atypicalsmith
    atypicalsmith Posts: 2,742 Member
    Options
    eshnna wrote: »
    Same thing happened to me. I gave myself some rest from exercise for 2 days. I also consumed about 300-400 calories more for those 2 days then I resumed my exercise activities. What do you know it? a day later and 2lbs came off just like that. The rest and the extra calories kind of revamped my metabolism.

That was coincidental. Think of weight loss as a tidal wave. Sometimes a couple of weeks will pass with no weight loss, then whoosh! two or three pounds fall off. Not exercising and eating more calories doesn't do it; continuously sticking with a plan does. You will probably gain back what you lost due to two days without exercise and eating more calories.
  • KimberlyAndrews1
    Options
    That's what happened once before. I was at a 10 lb weight loss for 3 weeks, then bam the next week I lost 3 lbs. Hopefully, that will happen again.
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    Be patient and continue focusing on the positive impacts. There's so much variability in your weight it is difficult to tell this soon. My weight fluctuates 5-6lbs throughout the day just from water weight. Try to weigh yourself just after you wake up and void.

The initial weight may come off rapidly (good for you!), but may taper off to a more reasonable 1lb/week. No worries, this is good and much more likely that you are burning fat and retaining muscle.